Left Handed?

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by Violeiro, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

I am a lefty, 110%, who "plays" right hand guitars.

I have less than 2 years playing guitars. One thing I made a point was to learn on a right handed guitar....my wife on the beginning would tell me - "why don't you just buy a left handed guitar..." - I would say NO...I will learn this thing with a right handed gitar...Fast forward, today I can "play" (still am a bad player) much better than when I first started...The biggest obstacle was the rhythm with the strumming hand...my whole life air strumming, tapping on the table/knees...what have you, has always been with my left hand...shifting that to the right hand was interesting to say the least...[emoji23]

How about you?

Left playing left hand guitars
    Left playing right hand upside down
    Left playing right hand....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

24 track and rangercaster like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

All brains are wired a little bit different ... I am ambidextrous ... Mediocre both ways ... But working on it ....

24 track, Violeiro and pugnax like this.
  3. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

The only 2 things I do left handed are play guitar and write. Everything else I'm totally right handed. Because I write left handed I have enough dexterity to pick plus I also believe the dominant hand should do the fretting. It's worked for me the last 50 years.

24 track, Violeiro and f69tele like this.
  4. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Holic

That’s what I’ve heard said as well: dominant hand should be on the fretboard. So a “right-handed” guitar is just maybe a left-handed guitar.
    I write left-handed; throw right-handed; shoot guns left-handed; use tools mainly left handed but can use either. Never seen a left handed piano, so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 track, Violeiro and raderiohead like this.
  5. raderiohead

raderiohead TDPRI Member

Lefty that plays righty.

Hand dominance switches activity to activity, though. Throw right, bat left. Golf- Drivers/right(keeps me from swinging from my arse) ,Irons/left

Write and eat left.

I think all lefties should play right and vice versa. Seems the fretting hand should be the strongest and most dexterous.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, I am among the most right handed people on earth. My brother is the greatest guitarist I know, and he’s a lefty that learned to play right-handed.

Mike McCready, another maestro, is a lefty who plays righty. So, you’re in good company. Keep practicing! The hardest part is already behind you and the best is yet to come!

24 track and Violeiro like this.
  7. PaddyPaul

PaddyPaul TDPRI Member

Hi Violeiro: I'm a lefty, play lefty (on a lefty), and have agitated on the Forum - mildly, I hope - about the problems and frustrations that come with the territory. There was an excellent response with great posts on various lefty approaches. Have a browse - it will answer some of the questions you pose. Here's a link to its home on the Bad Dog Cafe forum.

8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Ambi @ most things but not guitar.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I write right handed and play lefty , it never felt correct to play right handed my right hand had no rhythm for strumming, left handed no issues

ChrisLarcombe and Violeiro like this.
  10. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I write right-handed but play lefty. Not sure if it was catholic school forcing me to use the right-hand, and in any case I’ve got a birth defect that prevents me from holding a right-handed guitar.

Love to be part of the left-handed guitarist club, but good god I wish it were easier to find a good ES-335 style instrument...

ChrisLarcombe, Violeiro and 24 track like this.
  11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Left handed playing left handed guitars that I built . OK , I bought the Rosewood Tele . All this dominant hand/strong hand stuff is pure BS . The OP and 24 track hit the nail on the head about using the hand with rhythm for strumming/picking . It really is that simple .

Nubs, 24 track and Violeiro like this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm left handed but learned guitar and golf right handed.

I've always wondered if I'd have been better at both if I'd learned as a lefty.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have 2 one is a epiphone sheritan the other is a converted epi dot studio , the studio was set up pefectly that when I converted it to south paw the set up followed the conversion

sheritan

P1011475.JPG

dot studio , most bluesy sounding guitar i own

P1011373.JPG

Violeiro and pugnax like this.
  14. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I started out playing left handed but every one who tried to teach me convinced me to try and play right handed. It worked! I have been playing right handed for 50 plus years and I doubt I could play left handed today.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Pick in the right hand, but left handed? You can do it. Its harder though. Just like asking a right hand dominant person to hold a bow or pick in their left hand. That isn't how nature worked out which hand does what.

16. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Holic

Here’s the BS guy who told me (his opinion) dominant hand should be on the fretboard. Not saying it’s an absolute rule but sure works for his right handed self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violeiro and raderiohead like this.
  17. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

Oh G-d, here we go again. Time for all the right handers to tell the southpaws what we should do.

Nubs, Thanasis, 24 track and 3 others like this.
  18. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

I’m left handed and play a right handed guitar. I couldn’t play guitar with either hand when first started so I didn’t see that buying a left handed guitar would make any difference...

19. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I do everything lefty except guitar. Started righty cause there were no left handed guitars available to a broke 16 yr old in 1973.
    There is a definite advantage as far as fretting dexterity for sure.
    Also a definite disadvantage keeping good time.
    For me chords and scale fingerings have always come easy and picking dexterity and good timing requires a lot of practice and repetition.
    Obviously the more ambidextrous your are the less this matters.

20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Robert Fripp is left handed.Played with a right from the get go I believe. Makes me wonder, if right is dominate, should it not be my fret hand? I will buy a left handed cuz I am that curious and want to know. I mean, we have to train our left to fret strings, so would it be easier if it is my right?

24 track, Dan R, Violeiro and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.