1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Left Handed Solid Shaft Pots For Tele or Can I Rewire What I Have ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lef T, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I've got a 2016 American Standard Tele and the volume and tone pot are useless.
    I believe Fender just wires the right handed pots backwards.
    I know CTS has a 250k split shaft audio taper pot left handed,but I need a solid shaft.
    Barring not finding what I need,could I just rewire the pots that are in the Tele now?
    I know this would make them work backwards,but at least they would work.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK so now I'm confused.
    You have a USA lefty Tele with good quality pots that are useless- because they're frontward, which means they are frontward for a RH guitar, so they're backward? Why would they not be factory set up LH?
    And/ but, if you wire them the other way they'll be backward for you with your LH guitar?
    I can't say if the audio taper will be wrong if you wire backward, but I guess that would make sense. Try it and see how it works, aside from the taper it should work.

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

The pots aren't backward.
    The taper is not correct.
    I have to roll the volume pot almost all the way down till it takes effect.
    The tone control also has to be rolled almost all the way down till I hit one
    little sweet spot and then it is mud.
    I am far from experienced in these matters,but from everything I have read
    this is a problem for lefties playing a Fender.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I see, then you could wire them backward and get your taper back.
    You can also use the (LH) split shafts and screw the Tele knob set screw into the split, so it doesn't crush the shaft.
    It's been a while since I've done this but I think the diameter is otherwise the same.

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

You could take the correctly tapered elements from the split shaft LH pots and put them in your current pots, assuming the elements are the same size/fit. I've never done that, just throwing that out there.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Lef T, there are such things as shaft bushings that fit on split shafts that make them 'solid'.
    One can 'wire pots backwards'. I have never done it. I just put a meter on a 500K audio taper pot and looked at the resistances in both directions. I might have to try this sometime just for grins. I don't care for audio taper pots because all of the richness is between 7.5 and 10 on the sweep of the pot. Below that, the sonics are dead. I use treble bypass caps to spread that sweep out or I use linear taper pots to do the same thing. Now, this situation has me wondering what would happen if I used a revers taper pot 'wired backwards' because the resistances appear to be something that might work for my purposes....there's no reason for me to do this except for curiosity's sake. could you post a picture of those pots from the underside...if it is not asking too much. I would love to see how they are wired...just out of curiosity.
    IF a person likes to do volume swells with the volume control, then an audio taper pot that kills the guitar's sonics below 7 on the dial work just fine. IF you get some 250K reverse audio taper pots, they will act as 'normal' righthand Fender guitar's pots work...and the shaft bushings on split shafts will let you screw your control knobs on.

7. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I took some shots,but not sure if they show you what you need.
    I have zero experience with this stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, the volume pot is wired backwards....so I doubt if it is a reverse taper. It will act differently than a 'normally' wired audio taper pot.
    How does one know this? Looking down on that volume pot at the lugs, the lug to our left is grounded while the lead from the switch hits the lug on the right. For 'right handed control' with a normal audio taper pot operation, the lug on the right would be grounded to the case of the pot.

9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info Wally.
    After seeing all the wiring and soldering in there,I decided this is a job
    for my trusted guitar tech to do.
    I'll tell him what I want to happen and he'll get it done.

10. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

If all else fails, check out RS Guitarworks, they sell some lefty electronics and they do work awesome. I have them in my tele.

11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

You need a reverse log pot which is a huge PITA to find, or you could use linear pots like I use in my righty tele, which work well for swells when overdriven or compressed, which will require a somewhat more extreme taper in the guitar.

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

We're all good.
    I'm ordering a set of left handed pots and my tech will take care of it.
    Fender should really be ashamed of themselves.
    How hard would it be to have a bin of left handed taper pots.

13. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Thought I'd update this post.
    My tech put in left handed CTS 250k pots in my guitar today.
    I got the pots and brass sleeves from Allparts.
    Everything now works as it should.
    I am thrilled.
    Volume and tone control are now 100% useable

LutherBurger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.