Left hand technique question - rollover

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by automaton_2, Aug 6, 2020.

1. automaton_2

automaton_2 TDPRI Member

Hi all!

I am practicing a study of pentatonic licks. The author says the index and ring fingers have to roll over the 5th and seventh frets of a couple of strings in a few places (eg d and a on the third and fourth string in the Am pentatonic.

I find it easier to barre the two strings with my left hand index or ring finger rather than rolling the tip of the fingers down. What is the best technique for this?

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess if you’re doing fast arpeggiated licks and you don’t want notes to ring too long and overlap each other, then rolling is probably the most economical way to do that. If you’re barring, you have to figure how to mute those notes when you’re done with them.

automaton_2 likes this.
  3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

You get better articulation of the individual notes if you roll. If you are ascending, like G String to B string you just fret the note on the G string and flatten your index finger out kind of like you're barring. Going the other way G string to B string, you fret the note on the B string and you do indeed kind of rolll your finger towards the G rather than picking it up and moving it, but don't exaggerate the movement. Maybe I place the index finger a little more off center so there is more pad towards the G.

This wasn't part of the inquiry, but you can often play adjacent strings with different fingers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    stinkey, automaton_2 and klasaine like this.
  4. automaton_2

automaton_2 TDPRI Member

Thanks all, I appreciate these comments.

5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

This thread made me think about what I’m really doing on these adjacent string deals, especially the B string to G string with the index finger. It’s really hard; so often the stumbling block to a smooth run. Or it’s hard to get the run up to speed bc of that bobble.

I’m taking fiddle lessons (again) these days and playing the fiddle tunes on the guitar to practice alternating picking. I run into a lot of those B string to G string with the index finger deals. I see that what I really do is bar both strings with the pad of the index finger, but don’t put pressure on the G string and just kind of shift the weight when it’s time to play the G. That keeps both notes clean since doing the pressure shift also mutes for the B string. I do try to play the strings with different fingers a lot.

Mind you, I’m not a fabulous technician, so I could be leading you astray here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.