Lee Valley lumber finds

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Jul 12, 2019.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

About a month ago I found a few project lumber pieces at my local Lee Valley that were suitable for neck and fretboard making. The prices were great too - for example I bought a very nice cherry piece enough for 4 necks for $8 CAD :).

Yesterday I went again and they had some decent wood so here is what I bought.

The first 2 pics are 2 thin cherry pieces and a walnut one in the middle, which are enough for 4 fretboards.

IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2118.JPG

The 3 pics below are of some pieces that I can possibly use for neck making.

Cherry - 3" X 2 X 21"
    African Mahogany - 1.5" X 5" X 25"
    Roasted Birdseye Maple - 1" X 7" X 21"

The problem is of course they are kind of short for 25.5" standard Fender type necks, so I need ideas what to do with them?

I was thinking maybe I can split the cherry into several fretboards with my band saw, is that a good idea?
    The mahogany one should be enough for a short scale fender neck, maybe 24" or 22.5", would that work?
    Not sure what to do with the roasted maple, so any ideas are highly appreciated?

IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

It's nice to find things like that!

You're lucky you have actual Lee Valley stores to visit...here "south of the border", we have to order from them. And, of course, that means just tools and hardware. Fortunately, they frequently have free shipping events...like "as we speak" until the 16th. Lee Valley is one of the "class acts" of the industry and Rob keeps it that way year in-year out.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You could do some tilt back Gibson style pegheads by making scarf joints.

4. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Yep, we actually have 3 stores in the Greater Toronto Area, so I'm not complaining :). They are pricey (with the exception of the odd lumber find) but the quality of the stuff they sell is very high.

I've never done a scarf joint, is it complicated? Any good tutorial on how to do one?

5. guitarbuilder

There are plenty of tutorials for a scarf joint. Most will tell you that you have to have elaborate jigs to create it. What you need is a way to make two flat surfaces on the two pieces of neck wood. On my first ever guitar I scarfed a neck joint. The neck angle was laid out with a little triangle of posterboard. The angle was cut with a handsaw. The surface was sanded flat and square with a hardblock with abrasive attached to it. I've done it all sorts of ways. These days I sand the angle on my edge sander and clean it up with a hard block.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-make-a-neck.755300/page-15#post-8088926
    My version starts at post 289

This isn't a bad method although I use the hard block in short straight back and forth motion as opposed to his "circular" motion. Some guys pin the two parts at gluing. I don't.

The angle direction determines where your glue line ends up. I like to hide it as much as possible.

https://www.ericschaeferguitars.com/28-cutting-scarf-joint/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Mazingly. they have a store in leetle Kelowna.

7. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Thanks Marty!

I'll check the links you sent tonight.

The only fretboard template I have is the Stewmac one which is the Fender 25.5" one on one side and the 25" Martin one on the other. If I make a shorter neck starting let's say from the third fret on the Fender template (remove the first 2 frets, and the third becomes the nut position) wouldn't that work as well, as long as I keep the distance between the nut-12th fret and 12th fret-bridge the same?

8. guitarbuilder

Using the 3rd slot as a nut on a fender scale will result in a 21.44 scale fretboard.

22.718 would be the scale if you used the 2nd slot as the nut.

24.069 results with using the first slot as the nut.

Your 12th fret would be from the slot you use as the nut, so it depends on nut slot selection.

https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html

newuser1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.