LED lightbulbs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GunsOfBrixton, Apr 26, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Lighting guy here.

A manufacturer puts an array of lamps on a test board with constant power 24 hours a day, every day. When 1/2 of them fail they turn off the board and multiply that run time times the industry assumed number of use hours in a typical household per day. That’s how many days they can legally say the lamp will last.

If they test 100 lamps and the 50th one to fail lasts 2000 hours that product life is 2000 operating hours. If you use it 2 hours a day that’s 3 years.

Not saying that is your usage but that’s what the estimated life means. Hour at which 1/2 have failed.

Edit to say the other advantages to LED; they are not negatively affected by on/off cycles and they are not negatively affected by cold temperatures. But they are negatively affected by hot temperatures.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  3. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I stopped buying Philips LED bulbs many years ago because I noticed they had a high failure rate. Started buying Cree and Feit and they seem much better. But I have a funny little "lollypop" shaped Philips bulb in my basement that's been burning 24/7 for at least 12 years. Still available at Amazon - I wonder if they are still made as well the one I have.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Be aware! If you are replacing your home lights with LED, you must replace any dimmers with a new type, copasetic with LED.

5. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Keep track of where your bulbs have a shorter life. After having lived in our house for many years, I have noticed that there are certain fixtures where bulbs fail more often. This was true for incandescents, CFLs, and now LEDs. Eventually those fixtures wind up (by chance) with a particularly robust bulb and I won't have to change any bulbs for a long spell.

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Interesting… After trying a few others, I've resorted to using only Philips (made in China). They seem to have done the best job of imitating warm incandescent light. They've all been in for several years without a failure. Lot's of ceiling floods in our house, mostly on dimmers. At 1/6 the watts consumed, I figure they pay for themselves in the electric bill. Considering how much heat a 65 watt traditional incandescent throws off, it's probably easier on the AC too.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I understand that a lot of the "Philips" ones are counterfeit.

I bought a ton of LEDs at Lowe's in Paso Robles, and replaced all my parents' awful CFLs, and had enough extra to replace many of the bulbs in New Orleans and up here in the mountains of North Carolina. This was maybe 2018-2019, and they were blowing them out at $ 1-2 apiece so I went nuts. Now, I wish I had bought even more as the remaining incandescent and CFLs I have are failing one by one. I could be mistaken but I don't think I have had a single failure. Bear in mind, I didn't buy in that first or even the second wave. I sat tight and jumped when the price collapsed. Seems like ages ago. Things on sale at Lowe's, now? Forget about it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.