Leaving tube amps on all day?

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I am pretty old, but don't recall tubes in my phone
not on your end of the wire.... ;)

and.. to repeat .. while much of the above is true about the longevity of equipment that remained on for many years.... those installations had resident engineers flittering around from one component to the next... and those guys knew to adjust the voltages toward the lower end of the window of acceptability.. doing so just a little increases longevity exponentially...

During my tenure at WTLV here in Jacksonville... built in '57 .. and most of the electronics were still original... there was a flock of engineers on staff 24/7 .. they nursed that stuff like it was a prize stallion..

The only time there was any serious incident.. happened after they upgraded to a "modern" transmitter...

and remember.. if your gear routinely gets bumped.. like by Mom colliding into it with her 1968 Kirby Vac... the filaments are much more likely to be damaged when glowing than they are when at rest, and cold..

personally I see NO reason to leave the gear on.. if ya think it's because it makes ya sound better... I'm betting practice would accomplish a hellova lot more in that department..

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Not worth it, regardless. Putting current to amp all day. Would you let your car run all day.

FYI. If you left an Vox AC30 on, your house would be totally heated for cold winter night.lol

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I will leave my Reeves head on so I can play on a whim. I find it really sad that the main reason stated here is due to "using up" electricity. My knowledge says Turning an electrical unit off and on causes more damage than leaving something on.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I always start to love my amplifier more by the end of a gig when it's good and hot and has been played for a few hours+.
but is it because there is actually a difference, or is it just because you are in the groove by then?

I always sound better after playing for a while. But on the recordings, the amps sound exactly the same.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I left my Quinn ODS on for 4 years. Turned it off when I was out of the house. Now I'm doing the same thing with a Trainwreck clone. I just wanted to see what happened.

When I wasn't paying attention, I suddenly became 70 years old. I've found that I had acquired a lifetime of skills for doing things correctly, sanely, efficiently, etc. Well, hey, I want to become a little more chaotic in my life. It gives me new things to question and worry about. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, well, wait until you are 70.

Len058

Tele-Meister
If you paid any attention to what is happening in and with the world, you'd turn it off when you don't use it. Especially if you live in Europe, wasting energy is a crime. Personally, I would like to see people got punishment for leaving a porch light on all day and night, never turning off their computer, keep a car running while parked or using a tube amp not for playing but to heat a room. But that's me.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I will leave my Reeves head on so I can play on a whim. I find it really sad that the main reason stated here is due to "using up" electricity. My knowledge says Turning an electrical unit off and on causes more damage than leaving something on.
Unless it’s a really cheap amp, the wear and tear from daily use of the power switch is negligible. Wasting resources doesn’t serve anyone, and should be discouraged.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
but is it because there is actually a difference, or is it just because you are in the groove by then?

I always sound better after playing for a while. But on the recordings, the amps sound exactly the same.
I've never sorted out if it's because I'm warmed up or the amp is. It seems like after the amp is good and hot, it seems a little smoother and more compressed and it sings a little more.

In reality it could be my state of mind, the audience, the beer, the fact I'm used to the loudness of the room, the mix in the monitors... who's to say. The recordings are probably a better way to judge than our own perceptions with guitar in hand at the bar or wherever.

I'm always willing to use any lever, real or perceived to enhance my enjoyment of the guitar though.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I'm always willing to use any lever, real or perceived to enhance my enjoyment of the guitar though.
I agree with that %100. after all, these are artistic tools and we are making art, so imagination and perspective is always part of the equation.

tweeet

Tele-Afflicted
In these tough times of rising energy bills you must have money to burn leaving an amp on all day ! Why would you want to do that ?? My Mrs would go ballistic !

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I got this old VOX ADV30T amp, and it is said to have a single 12X7 rectifying tube in the amp.
Just wondering, if it is OK to leave the amp on all day, or should it be switched off when not being used.
If it is left on all day, would it reduce the life of the tube? Or keep switching on and off a few times during the day would reduce the tube life more?
That amp is primarily solid state, like a desktop computer. Do you turn your computer on and off all day each time you use it ? If you're going to wank on your guitar off and on throughout the day, leave it on...nothing is going to suffer from it. Subjecting electronic equipment to frequent and numerous on/off power cycles is typically more stressful on it.

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
Due to what's going on in Europe. the cost of domestic electricity in the UK has gone up by 54% in the last few weeks.

That tells me all I need to know about leaving stuff switched on for no good reason.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Due to what's going on in Europe. the cost of domestic electricity in the UK has gone up by 54% in the last few weeks.

That tells me all I need to know about leaving stuff switched on for no good reason.

OP's on Mars not in the UK and honestly, it's a solid state amp anyhow: probably made in china.

1652294398732.png

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
If tubes really sound better after they they’ve been on for a few hours, you know the amp manufacturers would find a way to rapidly heat them to that “ideal” temperature and use a thermostat to maintain it.

Perhaps the OP wants to keep his amp on all the time so he doesn’t have to wait the 30-60 seconds before it warms up enough to make music? If so, my solution? Plug your amp into a “clapper”! You can clap your hands from across the room to fire it up. By the time you walk over to it and pick up your guitar, it will be ready to go. (Of course, if you end up getting applause, well then you’ll have problems) :p

gwjensen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've done it with no issues... and now I'm starting to wonder if I left the amp on last night... Its super quiet and jewel light is burned out... I guess I'll find out in about 5 hours... :)

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
How long does it really take for an amp to warm up and make sound? It sounds very impatient to leave it on all day to avoid the 5 seconds of start-up time. Unless you need a space heater, I wouldn't leave it on all day.