Leaving tube amps on all day?

theleman

Tele-Meister
I got this old VOX ADV30T amp, and it is said to have a single 12X7 rectifying tube in the amp.
Just wondering, if it is OK to leave the amp on all day, or should it be switched off when not being used.
If it is left on all day, would it reduce the life of the tube? Or keep switching on and off a few times during the day would reduce the tube life more?

jman72

Friend of Leo's
The 12ax7 preamp tube in that amp was used as a 1 watt power tube (not as a rectifier) that supplied signal to the solid state power amp. 12ax7's seem to last a long time (and are easy to get if you need one), so I don't think turning it off and on will affect it much. If it were me, I'd just use it when I needed it rather than leaving it on.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I wouldn't ever leave it on for an extended period of time, certainly not all day. If I play then need to take a break for an hour or less I'd probably just leave it on but not much beyond that.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Turn it off, but generally the only harm done in leaving them on is to slightly decrease tube life and unneeded use of electricity. I once left a Traynor YBA-3 powered on for 2-3 days due to being overserved in my own basement. Didn't seem to harm it a bit. That was 10 years ago and it still has the same tubes and still sounds great.

1stpitch

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
A friend has a Deluxe Reverb that I swear sounds to both of us to get "creamier" after it's been on for about 2-3 hours. I haven't noticed any difference on my Marshall DSL.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
In the realm of high end audiophiles it's not at all uncommon to find leaving tubed amps, preamps, etc., on 100% of the time... the general assumption is, doing so results in superior overall sound... and since there are no myths, no totally outrageous claims for whatever aspect of an Audiophile's system you care to mention in that world.. you can bet it's true.. :rolleyes: just don't bet much..

I would suggest.. if you elect do so, be certain your tube's biases' are properly adjusted.. AND.. if you're "red plating" 'em, expect to be buying new tubes soon.. and if you ARE "Red Plating" them.. What.. so exactly how many times were ya dropped on your head as a baby anyway?:eek:

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
A friend has a Deluxe Reverb that I swear sounds to both of us to get "creamier" after it's been on for about 2-3 hours. I haven't noticed any difference on my Marshall DSL.

I always start to love my amplifier more by the end of a gig when it's good and hot and has been played for a few hours+.

I'm not sure I'd leave a tube amp on all the time though. It just seems a little silly.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Highly unlikely to hurt anything other than your wallet.
Once temperatures have stabilised, they won't get higher, but it'll waste electricity. A solid state will waste a lot less than an all valve amp, but it's still wasteful.
Think back to the days of valve radiogrammes/stereos and televisions in the home. The radio may have been switched on at 7am and run until 11pm, without issue.
No harm, no foul.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
I always start to love my amplifier more by the end of a gig when it's good and hot and has been played for a few hours+.

I'm not sure I'd leave a tube amp on all the time though. It just seems a little silly.
Last Christmas - I had a bunch of unused PTO and as a result found myself playing for 8-12 hours a day....my Fender Bassbreaker 15 really sounded awesome after being on for several hours. Just more of everything that is typically great from tubes.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I turn my gear on/off just because that’s how I live my life. Leaving a room, turn the lights off.

With no first hand data or technical knowledge to support my feelings, I can’t imagine there’s any noticeable negative impact of having an amp on all day.