Leather strap recommendations?

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I have many Walker and Williams straps purchased off Reverb. High quality and a large selection.
Also, Levy, Fender, and Perris...but I look at the WWs first.
They sell directly and often have sales!!!

These are the BEST STRAPS I have ever used in my 55 years of playing. I used Fender, Levi's, EB's, and many other brands I cannot even remember. Finding the perfect strap is almost as hard as finding the perfect Tele, I have both in my profile pic.

Tele 1978 American Deluxe Lollar pickups.jpg

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
A few years ago I bought a guitar and the seller threw in a Moody strap to go with it. It's fantastic.
I bought two Moody straps at a NAMM show at least 15 yrs ago. Still using them. Best straps I’ve owned. Honestly don’t know why they are so comfortable but they are,.. type of leather? Mine have a suede backing so they don’t slip.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
I bought two Moody straps at a NAMM show at least 15 yrs ago. Still using them. Best straps I’ve owned. Honestly don’t know why they are so comfortable but they are,.. type of leather? Mine have a suede backing so they don’t slip.
I haven't tried to figure it out but this thing is definitely comfortable.

tvvoodoo

Tele-Afflicted
Idk if we can post it here (maybe self promotion issues?) But a guy here also makes straps and sells on reverb. It would be awesome to support a fellow TDPRI brother! I’m gonna look at his page as well as others on lunch break!

But that’s a lot of information that makes sense but I probably wouldn’t have even thought of! Thank you!

we can't even talk about what we can't talk about

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Levy's Leather tri-glide with the suede backing which means it doesn't slide off when I sit down.
I've nearly acquired different one for each guitar and they usually get the Schaller strap lock treatment.

My only criticism of them is the buckle is plastic, I'm not sure plastic ages as well as nice shiny metal.

I also cut/unpick/remove the logo patch because I'm a bit weird with labels and logos.

1664569834193.png

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
Huge fan of Franklin leather straps with the suede tooled ends. Soft, flexible and wide. Also their embossed suede straps with the leather ends. They all feel like they'll outlive me.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of Moody Leather, have a few of their designs. Kind of sad that Ethos Custom went out of business (and apparently in a bad way) as they made really nice, nicer than Moody nice, leather straps as shown on the jumbo.

06F791D2-CAE7-4CE4-B70C-BFCA74BCB0C9.jpeg
57420ED8-ADC0-4DCD-BBEF-44D1BDD07611.jpeg

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I'm a big fan of Moody Leather, have a few of their designs. Kind of sad that Ethos Custom went out of business (and apparently in a bad way) as they made really nice, nicer than Moody nice, leather straps as shown on the jumbo.

View attachment 1035214 View attachment 1035215
That strap screams Evel Knievel. And I love it. But I really like that moody. Like really like haha.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I will echo that choice, have 4 of them, nice and sturdy.
There’s a lot of fans of W&W. I get there’s an appeal with pricing. But they advertise nice tooled leather and average $50? Am I missing something? But a quick scroll through their page. Over half their stuff looks like the old tacky Ed Hardy clothes. At least imo.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Bonded Leather: You're rolling the dice with bonded for a few reasons. Makers use bonded leather because it allows them to laminate several thin layers to make a thicker strap. Problems arise because the glues they use are usually not robust enough to last very long, and they also often incorporate non-leather materials (cellulose/cardboard is common).
Amen. It is pure, unadulterated crap. AND, you have to really look out when you buy "leather" from Amazon dealers. They'll go to some lengths to avoid telling the truth about their products. Ask them if they use "real leather" and they'll say yes, but mean that it's pulverized scrap leather held together with a binder. Buy leather from people who have a reputation to protect. Like Levy.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Amen. It is pure, unadulterated crap. AND, you have to really look out when you buy "leather" from Amazon dealers. They'll go to some lengths to avoid telling the truth about their products. Ask them if they use "real leather" and they'll say yes, but mean that it's pulverized scrap leather held together with a binder. Buy leather from people who have a reputation to protect. Like Levy.
I know you don’t have to spend $100+ to get a decent leather strap. But looking around I think I’ll go either a bigger name or a small builder.

Either 1.) a real reputation to protect, not just rolling out product just to have it out. Or 2.) making a name and reputation for themselves

Biggest change. Most leather straps I see (that I’m even halfway interested in) are 3”. I’m used to 2”