1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Least strat like tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by KingRazor, Apr 12, 2021.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

I know pickups like the twisted tele have "strat like" qualities. I already have a strat that I like the neck pickup on. Looking at possibly getting a tele and wondering what tele neck pickups don't sound all that strat like. Without going all the way to a humbucker or p90. Something like a nocaster? Any suggestions?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A regular old Tele neck pickup.

heffus, Matthias and BB like this.
  3. Sasquatchwisperer

Sasquatchwisperer Tele-Meister

I’m a big fan of the USA G&L MFD neck pickup in the ASAT. It doesn’t sound like a Strat pickup or a P90, but in between. It’s fat, and smooth as butter.
    You can adjust the pole pieces to your liking, raise the middle for a blues sound, raise the outside pole pieces for a scooped sound and so on.

Drew617 and Chester P Squier like this.
  4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The brass covered Tele neck pickups are the least Strat like. Otherwise, the higher the DC resistance, the less Strat like it will sound. The fact that a Tele is hard tailed alone prevents it from sounding as plinky as a Strat, even if the pickups are bright .

KingRazor likes this.
  5. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Hey just wanted to say I found your pickup analysis posts very enlightening.

Antigua Tele likes this.
  6. thebeebs

thebeebs TDPRI Member

I have a cavalier lion king neck (wound in between the regular and the fat lion king) and I find that it sounds very "classic tele". Similar experience with a lollar special T neck I had in a former guitar

BB likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Original neck pickup that was in my 83 Am Std. Sounded like a whale in heat. No top end at all. Definitely the least Strat sounding, but also not good sounding.

scelestus likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is true - I’ve used actual alnico strat pickups in Tele neck position a to try and get a Stratty neck sound - close but no cigar - same with a twisted Tele, twang king, etc. But for me close enough.

9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Teles neck pickups from a lot of eras were hotter than Strats - north of 7k. That’s going to be louder and darker than most Strats, so I’d look at stuff 7-8k maybe.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The DC resistance was higher because they used 43 AWG wire, but the turn count was probably the same. The covers cause them to sound darker, even nickel silver reduces the q factor slightly.

Matthias likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.