1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Least shrill/midrangy pu's for hard rhythm attack?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 1955, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I love Fralins and am staying with his stuff but for the last few years I've just played Esquires. Thinking of going back to a Tele set. All my PU's are really hot and since my attack is so hard it makes it tough to dial in a sound that isn't too harsh in the midrange. Would a 50's spec set get me there? Any ideas from you guys that play Fralins and play mostly hard rhythm for a more mellow/flatter response set?

2. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Call Lindy and tell him what you are after, he can wind you whatever you want, you don't just have to get whats offered in the retail outlets. He's a super nice guy too.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

He's gone out of his way for me time after time in the past. One of the coolest guys around. I figured I wouldn't bug him until I heard back from some of you guys.

At first when I started I was going for that Esquire bridge thing and went through a bunch of different overwinds. Trouble is I love 'em all especially the blues special but the bridge I have in there right now is pretty hot and a little too much for some ears especially when I'm nailing the high strings. Even if my treble and bass are flat on the amp I can't dial in a decent balanced rhythm tone because I don't have an eq pedal or any way to zap some of those mids.

If I roll back the tone on the guitar, it's just dulls it down but doesn't address the mids as much. If I play light it's fine, and in some venues it sounds awesome esp. when I can crank the champ, but it's more like the tiny rooms with the amp super low in volume that I run into that harsh sound, because I'm hitting the strings too hard.

I also changed the stock speaker after I blew it to a "10 from an old Vibratone, and that thing is pretty muddy which only complicates the problem in some rooms.

Thanks for your help!

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Check out a set of Fender OV's in a stock 52RI. That's a good benchmark for 50's sound. If you need mellow you can roll off the highs with your tone control.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.