1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Least noisy compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mugen74, Apr 23, 2020.

1. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use the TC HyperGravity and at the volume which I play I cannot hear any additional noise. YMMV.

2. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Keeley Comp+ 4 knob pretty quiet!

Had the Ego 4 knob and it introduced noise. I know the theory of comps only raise the noise in the chain but I feel there's more to it than that.

I had a Boss back in ~2005, made in china or Korea and a Made in Japan and the MIJ was MUCH quieter and effective! The other two had noise at zero level.

They are based on the same principle but work differently. They DO sound different!

Here's THE link on compressors:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

3. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Wow. Thanks for all the input. After posting this earlier, I took the Ego back out and tried it alone. I had it right after my tuner. Double humbucker guitar. Followed by boost, OD, chorus into clean and dirty channel of a DSL20 head.

I was running all this on a One Spot daisy chain. Alone and with a single 9V power supply, the noise was significantly less. I believe the problem was the power chain. I have an MXR iso brick I’m going to try it with tomorrow. If that eliminates the noise, I will keep the pedal.

jh

RetroTeleRod and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I only have two. Of these, my Boss CP-1x is quieter than my Xotic SP.

Andy_White_83 and Norris Vulcan like this.
  5. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

i know its not popular but i've got it 1,5 year now and its the EBS multycomb guitar edition.pairing with a simple MXR dynacomp its adds the 1/3 of noise even in high settings.its a tool with many settings and not one trick pony.i mean 3 way switch too choose norm-multyband-tube,active pu's button and 2 inside trim pots to fix high and low freq's and build to last. thats it

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd like some water, please. But not too wet...

It really depends on the settings. Compressors by definition magnify all the little noises.

I run my Empress always-on, transparent, and it's not very noisy. But if I turn up the squish, then yeah.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I would be surprised if the Wampler was more noisy than most of the pedals suggested in this thread. There may be the occasional suggestion which introduces less noise, but I would bet that most of the suggestions are at least as noisy, if not more noisy than the Ego.

8. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

It amplifies what ever noise there is...most modern comps are pretty well made..
    If you do turn up the compression...well more hiss....

9. Haase

Haase TDPRI Member

Walrus Deep Six V3.

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Noise is the nature of the beast & why it gets placed as early as possible in the chain.
    That being said, I have had TC Electronics compressors in my foh racks forever, and believe that TC makes one of the finest affordable compressors available.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've got an Orange Kongpressor and it's whisper quiet.

If your amp is set up clean/not high gain it pretty much leaves the noise completely behind. You can hear a little bit of noise if you setup a raging high gain sound with it.

I've owned the Keeley Compressor+, it is way way noiser than the Kongpressor if people are using the Compressor+ as a low noise benchmark.

However.. at the moment I think I wish I still had the Compressor+. I switched guitars.. I'm not as crazy about the Kongpressor with my current guitar which is an offset with pretty beefy pickups.

The "effect" on the Compressor+ is a lot more in your face.. I think I'd actually prefer that with my current guitar. With the Tele I had before with more mild pickups I'd have the guitar volume higher and that would hit the Kongpressor harder and the effect would be more apparent. The Compressor+ has way more squish so if you're looking for a really audible effect that is one of it's strong points.

12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

EQD Warden works well for me.

13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

oh, i can think of about 100 things. I bet they all don't have the sm amount of gain on tap... more gain = more noise. also, the buffer at the front of the circuit... not the bypass buffer, but often the first thing in any circuit is going to be a unity buffer. these buffers are not necc created equal. it might be that the others simply let more highs pass... or it could be that the barber is using quieter components and is indeed quieter. Could be that the cable in front of that barber is better than the cable in front of the other devices (my setup would have different cabling depending on the route you took, yours may or may not).

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've tried a lot of compressors. The Wampler was one of the noisiest I've tried.

I like how @moosie framed the issue.

Some of the issue is also expectation and context. In a band setting, I've NEVER noticed any noise while playing. No matter how buzzy I was or someone was in a band I was watching, during the quiet moments. And that is solved by turning down volume knob, stepping on tuner/mute, etc. At home, any noise is very apparent. You just have to get used to it and it won't bother you anymore. Or play acoustic if it does.

15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I’ve got it adjusted to where it is usable for me now. I also plan on putting it on a second board with less pedals and an isolated power supply. I think it’s going to work out fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

jh

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interesting about the Ego. It's the first comp I tried, way back when they first came out. I actually thought it was busted, and returned it. All I got was HISS.

But later I figured it was me being dumb, because I began learning just how difficult dialing in a compressor can be.

That said, I wonder if the Ego is somehow noisier, and if so, I'm thinking there must be a tradeoff - Brian Wampler's no fool.

The control set on compressors varies wildly, and of course there are several completely different basic circuits. Ross style tend to be noisier, I believe. And if memory serves, the Ego is one. But so is the classic Dynacomp.

My Empress allows for a lot of control. The input level can be dialed in separately from the output. Then there's the dry mix, and the comp ratio, as well as attack and release. All told, it's capable of dialing in good compression without a lot of noise. It CAN get noisy, if not used carefully. And I think some / many comps don't have the same level of control, so the manufacturer has made the trade off for you, and set it to some fixed level.

17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Diamond compressor, is an optical, low compression, max 3:1 ratio, that is perfect for acoustic, electric and 4 string bass guitars.

Useful, for strumming, picking, fingerpicking and slide, to keep the notes tight and even.

I use the Diamond compressor, for acoustic to heavier gain, the tilt EQ, compression and volume controls, allow the user to fine tune their sound, especially, if the compressor is placed after overdrives.

I pair my Diamond compressor, with the Diamond Counterpoint delay, as an easy to use, mutually reinforcing system.

YMMV

18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Keeley is the quietest I've used. Since comps both boost and limit signal, it's easy to get a situation where the comp is increasing the noise of all preceding pedals, particularly if you use the comp as a boost as well, as many do, or use extreme settings. I've had little trouble with any of the compressors I've used. (I now use an opticql comp I built myself). The Origin Effects compressor gets mega-raves. I hate noise gates, but the ISP DEcimator is a brilliant noise-eliminator, and especially great if you're using it at moderate settings, where is it inexplicably invisible, sonically.

19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The two lowest added noise compressors I’ve used are the Origin cali76 and the Empress Compressor. They are both FET style compressors. I’ve also used OTA compressors, and some are better than others regarding noise. But, in my experience, the Ego is one of the quieter of the breed. My original Keeley compressor worked great without a bunch of noise, as well.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

I've got the Cali 76 Stacked Edition, which takes quite a bit of getting used to, but it performs well when you find your way around it.
    It's clean and quiet, even with 2 compressor circuits.

I have to say that my Keeley 4 knob sounds better though, although it's a lot noisier.
    I'd like to try the Cali 76 Compact.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.