1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Least Nasal/Most Punchy Bridgeplate Saddle Combo?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chewy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

The title says it all.

I've been spending way too much time reading the archives and pulling my hair out over the bridge and saddles for a build I'm planning. I'm using a Tele bridge and pup, that much I know, but not going for a very traditional tele tone, more for a deep, clear, dynamic surfy kind of sound that can really punch through on the low strings, but retains that Fender openness on the high end.

For the bridge plate, I'm thinking something a little thicker than the stock .045-.05" maybe a Callaham or a Rutters cold rolled steel.

For saddles, I dunno, seems like steel would be the "fastest" and punchiest sounding, but do those tend towards being piercing or nasal? If brass is more full-bodied, maybe that would be better for this project. But I'm afraid they may sound a little softer. I just don't have the parts-swapping experience to do much more than shoot in the dark here.

What do you guys say? Or am I just overthinking this?

...here's the kicker: I want a reverse-slanted bridge pup, so if anyone can recommend me a symmetrically cut, heavy duty replacement bridge that comes in LH, I'll be very grateful!

2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Cold rolled steel saddles, fast w/ some grind in the attach..

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Avoid aluminum by all means. Most likely to be heard as nasal. If you do the pup slant reverse, maybe all 3 CRS; if you do a traditional slant, maybe CRS E-A and the other 2 in Bell Brass.

4. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, priceless advice.

Is stainless that much different from cold-rolled?

5. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

I have an ash bodied Tele with a chrome plated brass Gotoh modern bridge and a Duncan Broadcaster mounted in it. It twangs, but in a punchy sort of way to my ears. Heavier string gauges like .011's or .012's would be wise and give you a good dose of the punch factor if those kinds of gauges are comfortable for your playing style (or maybe hybrid sets with heavier bottom strings, too). I've never used one, but I'd imagine that the Callaham would be an excellent option for the bridge plate as well and you can always try different saddles.

6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I wanted punch... and I got it using one steel saddle on the E/A, the rest brass, and the secret sauce: Ernie Ball Stainless Steel Regular Slinky Strings (#2246) - punchy, articulate bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.