Least favorite guitar shape and color combo

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by audiopablo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

This is a sentiment I also feel.

That being said, I don’t like red guitars, or headless guitars.

audiopablo and Chuckster like this.
  2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Man. I love that version of the iceman. I wanted that guitar before I started playing. I gotta break out my White Zombie albums...

Jim603 and Jakedog like this.
  3. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I’m really surprised at how many people listed yellow guitars as their “most disliked” color, given the reverence so many people give to aged nitro finished blonde Telecasters. BSB is just a different shade of yellow.

audiopablo likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can relate to disliking sunburst. I don’t generally care for it on any guitar. Or blonde, or black, and with few exceptions, I don’t like white either.

I like catchy colors and I love that Fender is making more of them available. I have a mustang in olive green. Can’t wait to pick up one of the new models in Capri Orange, and hopefully something in Penny.

I also love the classics like Burgandy Mist, Inca silver, the firemist colors, shell pink, Daphne, seafoam, etc. I don’t get why anybody would go boring while these colors are available, but hey. To each their own.

5. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Pretty happy with the one I made this year

IMG_20190125_161359.jpg

IMG_20190125_161416.jpg

Yes, at certain angles the flame really pops:

IMG_20190125_224126.jpg

6. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Trying to think of how to respond to this thread puts a few different thigns in mind.

1. A lot of those Peavey guitars from the 70's and 80's were just plain ugly. It's like Hartley Peavey took a picture that was drawn by a 8 year old who couldn't quite draw a Strat (could have been me, now that I thikn of it) and said "I'm gonna base a guitar off that shape".

2. A lot of the pointy guitars from the 80's. There's certain ones I like, and unfortunately, those are the only ones I can think of. But I remember there was a period where all these companies like Jackson, Hamer, Carvin, Kramer, BC Rich, and were trying to "out metal" each other, in terms of who could come up with the ugliest guitar or whatever. Remember that Carvin guitar that Craig Chaquico played int he mid 80's, it's in all the Starship videos during the We Built The City era? I think it was called V-something? That's a prime example of what I don't like. The BC Rich Ironbird was another one. You had guitars shaped like lightning bolts, or like they were trying to take the Explorer or the Flying V "one step beyond" or whatever. I think some of them went too far with it.

3. Anything that looks like a piece of fine art. Sometimes you see guitars and you think, "Is that even meant to be played?". You've got things like some of those Alembic guitars and basses. I saw a photo in Guitar Player of a bass where the body was made to look like a clown's face, with the J style pickups being the clown's eyes. Looked cool, but like I said, it looks like something that's supposed to be in an art museum. And you wonder, a. how comfortable is it to play, and b. what does it sound like?

As for colour, basic colours I don't mean. Even things like the green burst Burns guitars or some of the metal flake finishes that came out of Europe and Japan during the 60's are alright. But when you see a guitar that looks like it was painted by Jackson Pollock, or something really great looking airbrush artwork, I think "I'm not sure I'd want to play that because I wouldn't want it to get scratched up or dented". Same thing with the "fine art" guitars, I wouldn't want them to get damaged.

And I also remember seeing ads in Guitar Player for guitars that looked like they were blood splattered, maybe that was something done for an "eye catching" ad, but now I see something like that, and again, I think, "that's going too far".

So, maybe I didn't answer this the way the OP intended, but that's my thoughts on "ugly guitars" or whatever.

Oh yeah, and I agree about the Parker Fly. They were tryign too hard to "look different". I'm sure most of the features of those guitars are really cool, but boy are they ugly instruments.

audiopablo likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These are awesome! Love it! If it came in a hardtail, I’d have one.

Jim603 and brookdalebill like this.
  8. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Looks like something out of a Ren & Stimpy cartoon.

cm3ohana likes this.
  9. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I appreciate that and can see that now. Funny enough, my first telecaster was a 72 MIM deluxe. I picked it up and it felt right. I wasn't guitar crazy back then, so it was just my telecaster. For years, I thought teles were supposed to have that pickguard, big headstock and 2 tone & 2 volume knobs. I was honestly shocked when I saw someone else's telecaster with that tiny headstock. It's taken years to get used to that.

I really was clueless, but the only guitar that matters is the one you like. That's why this thread is so fun to me. I really enjoy everyone's different tastes and viewpoints. These differences make me feel connected to a great bunch of people here. What a varied, yet congenial lot we are: interested because of a commonality in our chosen Fender type, interesting due to our differing approaches to tele nirvana.

Btw, for me, the pick guard that takes the cake is the P-bass. Always seemed groovy in a 70s Brady Bunch way to me. I sold mine recently, but if I ever get a bass again, it's going to groove, but not look groovy.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  10. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jakedog. Just here to say I followed the link in your sig to your music and it's made my night over here. Makes me feel human, man. Thanks for recording those.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

PRS. I don’t like the headstock.

12. Rbriggs82

Rbriggs82 TDPRI Member

I'm right there with you SGs are my most hated shape. The devil horn thing looks like something some goth kid cut on a band saw in shop class. I also hate how it's so thin, looks like someone just slapped some humbuckers on a sheet of plywood.

Also can't understand how anyone doesn't like the look of an LP, Tele, or a 335. Those three are hands down my favorites, plus I'll take a sun burst color in any one of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Marc Morfei likes this.
  13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

How about this beauty - the Minarik 'Firebolt': :eek:

Firebolt001t.jpg

paulblackford likes this.
  14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

True, but those bird inlays are pretty sweet, IMO.

15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Is that thing even real? Or did someone just draw it in photoshop? It looks like a cartoon.

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

A nice sunburst Les Paul is hard to beat.
    But I agree on a Fender guitar a sunburst seems wrong.

Jim603 likes this.
  17. Ever Wire

Ever Wire TDPRI Member

2EC9F558-2306-4F08-8C57-D24DC87C9BEE.jpeg 9 pages and this hasn’t come up yet?

Jim603 and Fendereedo like this.
  18. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

That's what I thought too but they have a website and Guitar Player reviewed the guitar a few years ago
    https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/musicvox-spaceranger

19. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

PR-285-M-M-PRINCE-GUITAR-PURPLE-1__58251.1479420751.1280.1280.jpg

Ever Wire and brookdalebill like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gibson offered no clue why they called this the Zoot Suit line. There's no logical relationship with this garish nonsense and zoot suits. They made an SG version, too. If you're selling one of these you'd better be prepared for a long wait.

Ever Wire likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.