Least favorite guitar shape and color combo

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by audiopablo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Yep, and the SG version is just as hideous.

Ever Wire likes this.
  2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Both of these are pretty lousy body shapes if you ask me. They both have a “candy bar left out in the sun” melted look about them....

9B02F0E4-8A6C-4A41-ABD2-B187BCF64A96.jpeg 80A3FE01-D496-4A09-BFBB-CDC35C9F62D7.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

While I agree that they are both homely, the also both sound great!

4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I had forgotten about those squarish Guilds. They are terrible! I love Guilds, but they did put out a few stinkers.

5. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I love those. Burns Elvis owned a 12 string.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’d play either of those. Totally cool IMO to have something unique that isn’t one of a thousand other derivatives of of the same old tired designs. Of course, I still dislike the sunburst. Lol. Wouldn’t mind having that Guild in something like a Fiesta Red or Burgandy Mist. Maybe a champagne sparkle...

7. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It’s odd. For years I didn’t like anything about Teles but then found a beautiful one, liked the way it played, bought and now it’s my favorite shape. And the star of my collection.

8. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The Guild in question is called the Thunderbird, and had one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of, which was a built in guitar stand. Basically it looked like someone was looking at a bicycle and said, "Why can't we put a kickstand like that on a guitar?" and that's what they did. Unfortunately, the thing was apparently very unstable, and many examples have the headstock broken off because of this (one assumes dealers actually tried standing the guitar up in the store, several feet off the ground, so they didn't just fall, but they fell off counter tops or whatever before they were even bought).

If I'm not mistaken Zal Yanovsky of The Lovin' Spoonful played one.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  9. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

There’s one in the used section of a guitar center near me, if anyone’s interested:cool:

10. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Ya know, when I was a teenager, I heard people talk about how ugly the Telecaster was. I remember Jeff Cook, the guitarist from Alabama, saying when he first started playing, he couldn't understand why his idol, James Burton, played such an ugly guitar. He said it was only years later that he understood how the bridge assembly and everything influenced the guitar's unique tone, etc.

Then, a few years later, Guitar Player ran an article on "The Most Beautiful Guitars" or whatever, and the Telecaster was one of them. Someone wrote in protesting, saying he never thought the Tele was "beautiful" and it shouldn't have been included in such a piece.

But I never thought the Tele was "ugly" as such. Main the stock original model is a bit "plain" looking, but surely not out and out ugly. And certainly things like the original Telecaster Custom (sunburst finish, bound body, like Andy Summers used to play) and the Paisley and Blue Flower Teles were beautiful guitars.

And I always thought that black Schecter Tele copy that Pete Townshend played in the early 80's was one of the coolest looking guitars ever. Now, the gold one that he played during The Who's last concert in Toronto in 1982 (well, last concert at the time, anyway, you know what I'm talking about), that was an incredibly ugly guitar, but that was because of that garish gold finish it had. YUCK!

11. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Flying-V or any with long wings that are pointed, like heavy metal guitars turn be off.

12. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

My apologies to all of the Red Gibson SG owners. I’m positive that it’s a great guitar. Just something about it that makes me hide behind the Les Pauls.

13. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Ya know, I always wondered what Gibson were thinking back in 58 or whenever it was, when they first put those guitars out. I can't imagine they were sitting around saying, "Look we know these guitars are way too radical for right now, but trust us, about 20-30 years from now, there's gonna be this new genre of music where damn near every band is gonna have a guy playing one or both of these guitars, and there's gonna be kids all over the world who are gonna want the same guitar as those guys!".

Same thing with BC Rich. I remember reading where Bernie Rico Sr said that his guitars quickly became associated with heavy metal, but when he first started designing electric guitars in the mid 70's, he had no such connections on his mind. He was just trying to come up with new guitar designs that were different from Fender, Gibson, etc. It just so happened that people like Dick Wagner, Rick Derringer, and Joe Perry picked up on them, and BC Rich got typecast as "heavy metal guitars".

I remember when I was a teenager, I thought ti would be cool to play one of those guitars in a country band, like if you showed up with a Bich or a Flying V or whatever, and started playing James Burton or Grady Martin licks. I always thought might have been a fun thing to do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.