Least Favorite Guitar in Your Collection

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I have a beautiful Roasted AV52 tele. Beautiful and well made guitar.
    Try and try but I just can't get with the overly rolled fingerboard edges and fret ends.
    Tried to sell it but didn't get a nibble. It just sits in it's case.

2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

A Martin D-16GT. Tried, but never got on with it. I'm just too lazy to get it out of the closet to photograph and put on Reverb. Sometime this year I hope to do that.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My least favorite are the chunky neck Teles I've built.
    The trussrod does nothing on these. Maybe someone can 'splain me how that's supposed to work.

4. demon

demon Tele-Meister

I guess you were unlucky with yours. Manufacturing tolerances etc.

I got a Danelectro doublecut 12 string and it's a fantastic instrument. It doesn't feel premium - can't explain that better in words but you'll know what I mean - but it sounds great and stays in tune. For an inexpensive 12 string the fact it stays in tune is little short of a miracle and I would have bought it just for that.

Ash Telecaster and Dan German like this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I should add that I recently bought a Squier Bullet Special to mod, and it’s close to being done (or as done as it will be), so there’s a chance it will end up as least favourite. Right now it’s in the honeymoon stage, but it all depends on whether or not I get used to the thin neck.

ronzhd likes this.
  6. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Les Paul. Sounds really good but heavyweight. I'm going to sell it.

7. IrishDad95

IrishDad95 TDPRI Member

I play everything pretty hard before I buy it and the same goes for my Gretsch G2655T-WS (c.2015 I think). The music director for the project I was hired for wanted the sound (she had heard the guitar somewhere). It was a two-year commitment, so I threw down the cash after a bit of a search and she was happy with the results. It's tough to call it my least favorite, but it's now my least-used. It's not fair to call it a one-trick pony, but I haven't found the tone and volume controls to be very intuitive. It just seems like I wrestle with this one to get what I'm hearing in my head.

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I only have teles and two acoustics so I love all of my guitars. It took me some time to get here but I am very happy now.

OTOH I am having a bad case of GAS for a les paul junior in tobacco burst, juniors are my second favourite guitars and I am feeling really weak about it - I think I could buy one instead of the broadcaster I have been eyeing lately. Decisions..

985plowboy likes this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve finally reached a point where I REALLY like every guitar I have. I could probably pick a favorite (maybe), but I honestly don’t think I could name a least favorite.

If I HAD to pick one least favorite, it’d probably be my lap steel, an old Magnatone from the 50’s, but that would only be because I keep it in its case and I sometimes forget I have it.

[​IMG]

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For about 3 years it was the Fender American Standard Shawbucker Strat. I don't really like Strats all that much to begin with, but this one didn't even sound good. I only had it because it was used as payment on a job so I took a chance...it was an Amstd after-all.

Never wanted to play it and it took a long time to sell it off. Should probably have just ripped the guts out of it for a loaded pickguard with all single coils, but I sold it off real cheap instead.

11. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

For me; that's like having to choose between your kids.

I would say all of mine are in the running for the number 2 slot.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  12. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

My first electric was a 1980 Gibson L6-S in Silverburst. It has humbuckers, aka Superhumbuckers by Bill Lawrence, 24 frets, and a 6 way chickenhead selector switch that does what my Baja does with an S1. It doesn't sound bad, but I rarely use it, because I have even better sounding Gibsons. Two of my favorite guitarists used them: Prince and Santana.

I think it's the sentimentality of being the first electric guitar I bought as the reason I kept it.

13. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

Some in the past, now a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008, is a love/hate guitar. Bought for a musical project/band. The asymmetric neck at first time seems good but when I play my Tele I want to sell the Les Paul :D. Now I live on a small island and isn't easy to sell or buy ...

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Mine a Gibson Nighthawk I sold years ago... Not enough Gibson to be a Les paul or SG, not enough Fender to be a Tele... just in between of everything and nothing

[​IMG]

Electric Warrior likes this.
  15. Painteddeer

Painteddeer NEW MEMBER!

When I was in high school my then girl friend’s father owned a Country Gentleman. I thought it was the second most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. His daughter was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. She and I would sneak down to the basement where I’d play her. Then I’d play the Country Gentleman. Years went by and we split up. Throughout my life I’ve thought of both her and that guitar. I’d never have her again but one day I was in a guitar shop and there on the wall was a beautiful used Country Gentleman and I bought her. Brought her home and plugged her in. For months I played with her neck, her strings, and listened to her moan. But that’s all she ever did is moan in a dull monotone CG sort of way. She wasn’t as I remembered her as a teenager. So I divorced her selling her off for more than I paid for her and with half the money bought a new Tele Elite. She sounded like the the CG should. Over the years the collection has turned into an ultimate collection so I no longer have a least liked or disliked guitar. I don’t even look at guitars lustfully any longer. I have a harem and with that who needs to lust for more. Just pick the sound and feel one needs for the moment and go with it. It’s what we all want but can only achieve with our guitars.

Loaded Goat, Deathray and Caleb Cull like this.
  16. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

I recently compiled a list of guitars I've owned. Of the almost 60 on there (only 2 per year so not that excessive, even for a hobbyist), I'd say only five or six have been really great - I own one, and my other electric is still having its day in court.

None of them have been complete garbage, but I will say the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro II was such bad value for money that it probably takes the crown. Such a disappointment.

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

My Les Paul, a studio tribute. I can't really put my fingers on what I don't like about it, maybe the combination of woods and pickups is just not for me.

18. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

I once sold an old mij Fender Strat I thought I didn' t need, as it was my least favorite one.

A few years later I regret selling it. Since then I learned to appreciate all my guitars, almpst equally, just in different contexts :)

19. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

A first gen Squier thinline with that toothpick of a neck and cheesy sounding pups. Gonna give it to the little kid next door and let him play with it in the dirt.

20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Sad to say, it would be my Rev Jetstream 390. Lovely guitar. Quality build. Great neck. Great player. Got it used for a great price. The problem ? Single coil pickups. Don't care for them. If it had 2 humbuckers, it would be perfect. Maybe some day I'll pick up a Rev with humbuckers.

Snapshot_20150419.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.