Least Favorite Guitar in Your Collection

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Yamaha A1M it's really nice for an inexpensive acoustic.i just dont like playing Acoustics all that much.

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

My least favorite is my Squier Jazzmaster. Photo is not my guitar - or my feet! - but mine looks just like this.

I've upgraded the pickups from the original muffled sounds ones to nicer ones, the nut to a Tusq when the original cracked, and replaced the pots and switch when they went rough and crackly. I also upgraded the paintwork with some silver glitter nail polish when I dropped and cracked a piece off.

Still feels like a cheap guitar to play, though it plays and sounds OK. Squier have come a long way since 2001 with their build quality and QC. Feels very glam to play it, especially when I've got the matching nail polish on!

It stays in the collection for sentimental reasons as it was the first thing I bought after I got my first "proper job", and it had to be liberated in an interesting way when an ex left me and didn't want to give it back. I've had it so long it would feel weird to not have it.

crazydave911 and Fretting out like this.
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I hate selling anything, so I tend to hold on to stuff a lot longer than I should. That said... I have three I don't care for. The oldest is my first electric - a 1996 Squier Strat. I only keep it because it was the first. My "number 2" least favorite is an Epi LP Special from 1998. I bought it for my daughter for her 14th birthday. She loved it at first, but then fell out of love and it sat in a closet until I rescued it a couple of years ago. Still, it has a bit of sentimental value, so I keep it around. I also have a Firefly FFTH Thinline that I'm just not bonding with. It has ZERO sentimental value, so I suppose it is actually the most disliked. I think it will be moving on in the not to distant future. The other two I'm thinking about giving away.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

I had a Squier CV Jazzmaster that I didn't like - it's now been stripped and used for parts. Everything about that guitar was wrong!

My least favourite now is my Epiphone Dot - which is fair enough as it should be! Still not terrible though.

5. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Interesting question. The guitars I didn't like had a very short stay before moving on. Of the ones I still have, I guess it would have to be my Hofner Veri-thin. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it and it's a great playing and sounding guitar. For whatever reason, I just never get the urge to play it. Probably should just sell it and be done.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been purging for a few years, but I recently bought a $169 Jazz hollowbody Grote that has essentially pushed my beloved strat back into the closet again. My MIM strat is the oldest guitar in my collection and I bought it new. It has my all time favorite neck. I just don't play it everyday like all of my other guitars. I can't really complain that this is my least favorite guitar, but I am back up to 4 electrics, 3 acoustics and a bass. I know from previous experience that I cannot keep all of these in rotation. One has to go. Problem is, I love the strat sound, I have just ventured away from that sound for a long time and don't know when or if I'll ever come back to it. A conundrum.

nomadh likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

The least favorite currently in my herd?
    I guess my 50’s Airline Archtop Acoustic, because it’s unplayable at the moment...as soon as it is fixed, it’ll leapfrog several spots.

Dan German likes this.
  8. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

My least favorite is my PRS McCarty. It plays great, rock solid, looks great, (beautiful natural Flame maple top). I'm just not into humbuckers, I'm thinking about selling it and my Second least favorite, my HSS AM Deluxe Strat.

9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Squier Classic Vibe 70 Stratocaster. Im getting rid of it, it feels like ulgy girl

Durtdog likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

The least favorite currently in my herd?
    I guess my 50’s Airline Archtop Acoustic, because it’s unplayable at the moment...as soon as it is fixed, it’ll leapfrog several spots.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

G&L Tribute Ascari GTS.

It's a cool design, but the quality level just isn't there. I am also not into flame tops.

I got it because I am a bit of a G&L fanatic, it was historical in being G&L's first set neck, and I think that over all, it's a looker. I had also never owned a guitar of its type before (generally a Gibson style setup, but with more of a Fender shape), and it intrigued me. Mainly, it seemed like an incredible deal at $330 shipped (used but like new) with a nice G&L brand gig bag.

It needs a hand made nut, the fingerboard edges to be smoothed over, a fret dressing and polish, and possibly tuners. As usual on cheap-o guitars, the pickups are too warm/muddy/hot. I want to change the control layout (I don't like a master tone control, and the volume knob is in a bad position for me). The licensed Tone Pros hardware does not impress me at all. The finish is smooth, but so thick. I think it really needs a pickguard to look its best.

It's a far cry from the Chinese made Tribute Rampage I got for the same price, which is two years older than the Indonesian made Ascari. That thing is as well built an instrument as a U.S.A. G&L.

Over all, I am glad I snagged it when I did...but it won't get played until I get around to modifying it the way I want.

jpTpZYvmyiEwqgQsPKeig9-650-80.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  12. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wanted to get a 12 string electric but I didn't think I would use it much so I was reluctant to spend much on it.

I got a Danelectro. You get what you pay for and kudos to Danelectro for making affordable gear but all in all it's really not a great instrument.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Squier Standard Stratocaster

14. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Mine is a beat to hell Peavey Firenza I picked up dirt cheap. Did I mention it was beat to hell? Needs a fret job really bad and the body looks like someone used it as a weapon in a week long brawl. But, the neck profile is so nice that I plan on rehabbing it someday. As it is, I hate it.

15. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

13e19a55cdd3e56122db8336652147fb.jpg

Oh wait ... you said "least favorite"? Nevermind then.

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Every time I think I'm not digging one my guitars and it sits for a week or so I pick it up and wonder why I wasn't liking it much

17. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Mine is an Epiphone Wildkat. Not quite acoustic to be acoustic and not quite electric to be electric. Plus the neck is that typical Gibsony-type neck.
    DSCN3240.JPG

That, my friend, was a wonderful investment in a person's life.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  18. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I don't have one! they are all great in my book that's why I keep them... well maybe the Strat just because the color it's so boring, just another black strat, but it sound cool and plays ok.

19. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

An Epiphone Less Paul I bought to replace a guitar I was working on but damaged the finish. I was able to match the finish and blend it in. (first time experience with shooting poly so I had low expectations) So I was left with this LP, it now has a super detailed fret level and dress, SD '59s, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch, Grovers, a Gibson ABR1 and stop TP and is still just a mediocre guitar. It's one of the nicer ones, even has a mahogany neck rather than Maple but the last guitar in the house I would play.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’d have to say mine is a squier vintage modified Jaguar the guitar itself is okay for the price point but... the neck is just way too skinny for my taste

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.