1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Least favorite decade for music?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by James Lutz, Sep 4, 2011.

Least favorite decade for music

1. 50's

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. 60's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 70's

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. 80's

54 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. 90's

23 vote(s)
    14.6%
  6. 00's

69 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

This.

Also, there's been crap music made at all times too, from the 50s up to the present decade.

2. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

I went with the 80's too much bad use of chorus and compression and filters and well yeah.

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

2000-2010 was my least favorite

4. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

The 80's... bad... :confused:

Beat Farmers, Green on Red, Blasters, Rain Parade, Mazzy Star, The Bangles, Lone Justice, X, Los Lobos, Jason and the Scorchers, Dwight Yoakam.

5. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

I'd take another wave of 90s Seattle grunge over todays plastic pop.

And at least 80s cheese had a sense of fun innocence about it - not to mention to actually play that stuff reveals production and compositional value. Filled in with a band and had to learn Whitney Houston's Dance With Somebody. Not really my bag, but it took some learning to get down.

70s gave us James Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Meters, James Taylor.

50s-60s needs no defending

00s gets my vote.

6. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

I think they're almost the same. For all the good stuff in the 50s-60s there was still plenty of fluff. Even the 80's, bad as it was, had a good underground. The 90s, aside from grunge and alt.country, unfortunately unleashed so many bad copy bands we are still dealing with the fallout. We are finally on the edge of recovery, maybe. The 2000's have some of the best sounding recordings, some great talent, and yet nothing really new is happening.

7. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

Late seventies to early eighties... Most music is rubbish nowadays but if you pull away the plastic and dig deep theres some brilliant music out there.

8. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

I've said "this decade" for each of the last 3.

9. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

The 00's definately. For the last 10 years Ive been buying old Music.

10. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

The 00s without question

11. TCASTJOE

TCASTJOE Tele-Meister

I voted 00's . I'm not hearing much that appeals to me. Not saying there's no good music. Just that it's not for me. I like 60's,70's and 80's guitar driven R&R. Some 90's too

12. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I dunno about the 00s being bad for music. Just off the top of my head Artic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, Kasabian, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Klaxons, Kooks, Lost Prophets, and Muse. There's probably dozens more on my kids (16 years) ipods of really good stuff too.

Good and bad music in all eras. I think sometimes people forget how bad other decades actually were for the most part and sometimes forget what was actually popular back then rather than what has stood the test of time.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

There's good in all of them. Can't vote...:D

14. waster

waster Tele-Holic

That is what I thought till just recently, sad but true. So much music now but so much trash. I love my recent local music tho so I am happy exploring that.

Oh and cool name Syd

15. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

00's for sure. the only bands to surface during that decade that weren't a crap rehash of the past were Spoon, Deerhuner and The Walkmen. the internet killed music in this decade, and i think we're just now learning how to adjust.

the 70's was close behind. i HATE prog, hard rock, disco and new wave so it's not a surprise. talking heads, clash, joy division, etc. were okay. all we really got IMO was Big Star, stooges and some nilsson stuff.

the 80's and 90's were my favorite. 80's gave us REM, sonic youth, tom waits (as we now know him), XTC, the pixies, etc. 90's gave us Blur and nirvana. and really, if all we got from that whole 20 years was the first four REM records, they'd still be on top IMO.

late 50's-mid 60's was killer too: howlin wolf as grumpy old man, and the best periods for the beatles, kinks, who, stones, etc.

16. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

The 00's gets my vote overall.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I voted 00's.

I think that there is more studio engineered "product" than there is honest music.

Walt Disney and music designed to jive with kiddee TV shows and auto pitch corrected vocals......(not good).

I understand that a lot changed in the 80's. MIDI was a blessing and a scourge. I worked in a nice music store then and we had digital equipment coming into stock faster than we could learn it. The 80's still gave us music like the Clash, Andy Partridge (XTC), Joe Jackson, The Smiths, The Pixies, 10,000 Maniacs, The Talking Heads and Elvis Costello. I loved that stuff. MIDI gave us a lot of junk. There was more to the 80's than Strats and compressors and chorus pedals.

18. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

I would say the 00's because I didn't hear anyone having any fun on the radio
    There were some great acts and some talented musicians but the general feel coming off the radio was one of mopey, uninspired depressed people
    I guess radio sets the tone for me, because it's free and accessible and I've always taken it as the pulse of the culture. It has been devoid of joy the last ten years

19. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

The 00's remind me a lot of the 80's. Lots of stuff from the 80's (Beat Farmers, REM, Replacements, JATS) I love, but didn't know or have access to at the time. I don't like the stuff from the 80's and the 00's that seems to be in your face every direction you turn. What is weird to me is the current fascination a lot of kids have with hair metal and the other stuff from the 80's that I didn't like. At first, I thought it was an attempt at hipster, ironic humor, but it gone way past any believable length of a joke. There is this on bar called the "80's Bar", and I usually end up passing it on the way back to my car if I've been out to see a band. It used to be a pretty cool bar/music venue that I hung out at back in the day. Everytime I pass by they are blasting "Separate Ways" with a bunch of drunk kids screaming along. Even more vexing is that at this time I am walking back to my car thinking how good the band I just saw was and wondering why they didn't have much of a crowd.

20. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

This decade sucks ... period. As I'm sure you've all seen the 80's are a quick second and I couldn't agree more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.