Learning Pedal Steel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by flyingnorth, Jun 20, 2016.

1. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

I've been playing guitar since I was nine years old. I'm 74 and still gig once a week. Im seriously considering buying a pedal steel and jumping in. Anyone out there have sugguestions on lessons, buying a pedal steel etc...?

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I'd say to do it.
    I don't have any advice on buying one, other than to try and find a music store where lessons are offered and maybe they can steer you to any PSGs for sale.
    It's a good thing that you are playing with somebody, so you'll have a group to work with and work on what you learn.
    When I tried to learn a number of years ago, I wasn't playing with anybody regularly, so it was difficult to work on my timing. Good luck!

flyingnorth likes this.
  3. jeb512

jeb512 TDPRI Member

www.mullenguitars.com

I play a Mullen Steel and these are some of the best ones made today. If you are starting out you'll want one that plays well so you can concentrate on learning the instrument rather than fighting issues an older, poorly maintained steel may have.

flyingnorth likes this.
  4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ouch! Just looked at the prices on those Mullens. Not an instrument you'd take up lightly.

5. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Unless you really know what you are looking at, buying a used one would be a crap shoot (with the odds heavily weighted to the house).

There is a GREAT entry level steel called Stage One that you can get brand new for about $1000. You'd have a hard time finding a used one worth having for less than that. The guy that makes them is a great guy and very helpful. Here's a link:http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/

As far as lessons go, there is a great player here in Seattle named Dave Harmonson that would be happy to get you going. PM me and I'll send you his contact info.

Another guy in Olympia named John McClung that gives in person and Skype lessons. I've never had a lesson from him but a good friend of my has been very happy with him. Here's a link to his website:
    http://www.steelguitarlessons.com/

Have fun. It is a great adventure. Fasten your seat belt though - it is a wild ride.

flyingnorth and william tele like this.
  6. John Owen

And go check out the Steel Guitar Forum. Lot's of great folks there who know and amazing amount about steel and they are just as cool as the TDPRI crowd. Here's a link:

http://steelguitarforum.com/

flyingnorth likes this.
  7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good luck. My brother plays steel guitar. Easier to fly a helicopter. Love the sound of 'em though.

8. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

A long time friend who has toured for decades told me "Lock yourself in a room for a year with one. When you come out you'll probably be able to tune it properly. Spend another five and you might get a gig".

coloradojeff and flyingnorth like this.
  9. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I'll second the Stage One suggestion. I have one, and I'm very satisfied with it. I'd also recommend you check out the Steel Guitar Forum. Lot's of good stuff and people there.

flyingnorth likes this.
  10. John Owen

Oops - sorry about all the western washington suggestions. I mis-read your location. The Skype approach with John McClung would still be a good option though. There are a few members of the Steel Guitar Forum who are in the Spokane area. They may know someone close to your location.

flyingnorth likes this.
  11. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Stage One's are pretty nice. There are a lot of nice used steels but you have to do some research. For E9, 3 on the floor and 4 knee levers is considered the minimum. C9 is also an option or in my case I play a universal B6/E9. It is so fun and so hard (especially at the beginning).

flyingnorth likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My steel player has a Stage One. It sounds good to me. He likes it, but dreams of a Mullen when his kids graduate college.

I'll also suggest going to the Steel Guitar Forum. Lots of good people who can steer you in the right direction.

flyingnorth likes this.
  13. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Thanks to all of you that posted. Found my way to the Steel guitar forum and other sites suggested. We have a steel player in our "old timers band" he had some of same suggestions. Looks like lock down time in the spare room time this winter. The honest replies here on the site is why i enjoy TDPRI.
    Thanks again fellows.
    Terry

14. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey Terry, I'd second the motion on using John McClung. I've known John many years as he goes back to my old SoCal days. He's a very accomplished player and a great teacher and the Skype thing sounds like it might work very well.... Good luck with your quest for that "whiney sound"...... Here's a shot of me on a gig with Leona Williams and my old '79 BMI 12 stringer with 8 floor pedals and 5 knee levers.......... Me with Leona II.jpg JH in Va.

flyingnorth and brookdalebill like this.
  15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

In my next life, I will play a Steele pedal guitar.
    I've always loved the sound, but the playing is a total mystery to me.
    Mullen sure seems like a nice guy with a great family, and he's doing what he loves, it doesn't get any better than that.

16. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Good god. I'm over 70, and I've been playing for well over 50 years, slide and lap steel for over 30 of those, but I've chickened out at the idea of pedal steel. The very best of luck with it. :)

17. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. Leona Williams, one of my favorites. Lucky guy. I've been checking out Justice PS and since I'll be in PHX this winter, that maybe the way to go. Thanks for all the good tips...back to the tele...gig tonight at the Grange.

18. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

just a note on resources to anyone interested ....Sierra steel guitar site on the web has a pile of free videos by Joe Wright. Starts out with use of right hand and moves on. Very well done.

19. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Have a Justice Pro lite on order.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.