Learn to use wife's sewing macine?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Jan 20, 2020.

1. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

I think that I'm going to take a shot at doing this.

rolandson likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I suspect pickup winding content coming...

3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

I learned to use my moms machine over 50 years ago, and learned by using patterns to make clothes in a short time.

If the machine works well, its not hard.
    Note that some old machines, after sitting, need a little treatment with light oil in the various mechanisms to get them working smoothly again.

I made "slip covers" for my first car.
    Just for example.

4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Oh yeah! cross post, but have done that too.
    At minimum, the foot controller is a really nice touch for rigging up a winder ....

stormsedge likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

heck yeah!

My wife hates sewing, so there's no gear for me to commandeer, but if there were, I'd prolly try my hand at it.

I already "liberated" the steam iron for taking dents out of guitar bodies...

jvin248 and kuvash like this.
  6. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Go for it. Oh, the things you can make....

I was a sailmaker for years back in the day, and could make a sewing machine hum. Made everything from custom gear bags to umbrellas to backgammon boards. Guitar straps, anyone...

- Bob

televillian, OldDude2 and kuvash like this.
  7. cometazzi

cometazzi TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've considered buying some old used one and learning how to use it. If for anything, to make a bunch of amp covers for all my amps.

spellcaster and kuvash like this.
  8. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Heck yea. Knowing how to do some basic sewing on a machine is a good skill to have. If you can get through how to load the machine and wind bobbins, your almost there. Practice.

If I look back to school, home economics-cooking,sewing- and typing have been life long skills that have paid dividends.

Antmax and kuvash like this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Should be easy. My grandmother taught me on her machine in a couple of hours how to do basic things like alter a pair of pants. I’ve got to imagine nowadays there are some great intro lessons on YouTube and so forth.

kuvash likes this.
  10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

After doing a complete tear down of one of her old machines, was a whiz at using it. I don't think I can "make things" of great value, but repairs and such on oddball fabric... no issues. She can't do that, but can "make things" on one type of fabric that the machine is set for (I set it).

Then I graduated to some really really long arm old Singers with treadles for drive. Do a complete tear down, de-rust, polish and reassemble on one of those beauts... they do patches on leather, or leather on leather for that matter.

11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I was lucky to work with a couple of really good upholsterers in the furniture and cabinet trades. So if they were shorthanded or under the gun sometimes I was recruited. Only ran the machines a few times but it is a great skill to have. I'm on the lookout for an affordable commercial machine locally. I may have a car to do and could use some amp covers, curtains, headboard.....

kuvash likes this.
  12. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I commandeered one that my wife’s mom gave her. She doesn’t know how to use it so last winter I gave it a shot. Repaired some blue jeans, sewed suspenders onto my ski pants, and recently repaired a much beloved backpack. I’m diggin it!

kuvash likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Sewing is a basic life skill IMO – for all human beings who are old enough to do skilled labor. We should all know how to do it at the very least by hand. And in today's age, you should know how to do it by machine too, if you can at all afford one.

Definitely take a shot at it. It's good to learn things they should have taught you in school, but didn't. Sewing is one of the hands down most fundamental, useful, and timeless skills one can have. You don't have to be an expert...but you should at least know how to do it to a functional amateur level, just like everyone should know how to turn a screwdriver and a wrench to that level.

televillian and c.winn like this.
  14. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I'm going to pass and let my wife have all the fun. It might give me more time to put down the house and pickup a guitar.:rolleyes:

15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know how to make a sewing machine work. Honey can you fix this for me?

16. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Yes beware, particularly if you get an industrial like mine is! Once word gets out you are repairing belts, purses, hockey bags, backpacks etc... though people are usually happy to toss you a few bucks too.

televillian likes this.
  17. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I tried to get my mom to give me her ancient Singer (converted from pedal power) but she said something about "cold dead fingers...."
    I found a sewing machine shop in the Houston Heights were I bought an older '50s Necchi cabinet model.
    Great machine for a fraction of the cost of a similar quality new machine.
    I loaned it to my niece and when I tried to get it back she said something about "cold dead fingers.."
    She was using it a lot so I gave it to her. She makes clothes for her twin girls.
    I highly recommend having a sewing machine and learning how to use it. (My mom taught me the basics.)

Mark

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    televillian and EsquireOK like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Long ago, I burned my Mom's sewing machine motor making safety nets for my off road racing Baja Bug. I presently have an old treadle sewing machine, but I have not mastered it yet, and my wife wants nothing to do with it.

19. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Well that worked out ok she said that I could use her sewing machine and I told her that she could use my portable welder.:D

televillian and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  20. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep I use my wife's one for taking up the hems on my jeans (I'm a short arse) and for patching my work shirts. I think it must be in my genes because I had several relatives on both my mother and fathers' sides that were in the rag trade in one way or another.

kuvash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.