Learn something new everyday.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Tdel10, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

After I broke three of these things, brass furniture insert nuts sized 10/24, I got the idea to go look and see if anyone made them out of stainless or something harder than this cheap, soft brass. They do online, but Lowe's only carries the brass ones. I was being super gentle, had the correct size hole drilled, using the best fitting flat head screw driver possible and SNAP! Three out of four neck bolt inserts broken below the surface of the wood. Great. That's just what I wanted to happen. 20161127_005056.jpg

I was a bit ticked off honestly and thought "there's no way that should happen that easily, how does ANYONE use these things?!"

Off to YouTube I go and low and behold, user error on my part. First time that ever happened :rolleyes:

Now, because of this video I realized my blunder and use this, threaded in "backwards"... Which isn't backwards at all... instead to install these little buggers. Man, what a difference it makes when you actually use something like it was designed to work. 20161127_022415.jpg

Enno likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a neat trick. I'll be filing that away...

Tdel10 likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing. I absolutely would have assumed that they were intended to be driven by a big flathead screwdriver!

I keep meaning to look for a source of these inserts. Now if I ever buy some there's a chance I might use them properly!

Tdel10 likes this.
  5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

mcmaster.com is a great place to get threaded inserts (stainless steel, nickel-plated steel and brass). They also have installation driver bits.

If your workpiece fits on the drill press, cut the head off your bolt and chuck it in the DP. Turn the chuck by hand (Don't turn the DP on!) and it will drive the insert in straight.

RogerC, milocj and Tdel10 like this.
  6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I use the McMaster-Carr steel ones. They have a standard thread on the outside which allows you to actually tap the hole before installation.

Tdel10 likes this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Inserts are also available that have a hex recess so you drive them with an allen wrench (or a driver bit for that size allen key). For the brass ones that fool you into thinking they can be driven by a screwdriver, it turns out if the flat-bladed screwdriver is big enough to fit the tip, then it won't fit in the hole; I use the driver insertion tool from Rockler or Woodcraft in a small cordless impact driver - seems like a waste of money but it works perfectly and doesn't bind - real time saver.

Tdel10 likes this.
  8. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

I could see that being necessary in some of the super hard woods. Good to know!

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The solution for hard woods is to use a drill that's at least a 64th bigger; most suppliers have charts for their inserts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.