Lawrence L290,L280 with 4 way

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Al Watsky, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Help me out folks, if you would .
    I'm a repair guy but using the Lawrence Wilde Strat pickups in a weird little custom guitar has me perplexed .
    What I have is a mini guitar with an L280 and L290.
    The owner wants parallel and series , so I opted for a 4 way blade switch.
    Found a diagram on the SD site and used that .
    That diagram is for a Tele with stacked HB's .
    Has you lift the ground from the cover .
    No cover on the 280 so I ran the blue drain wire in the usual manner I would run the cover lead and its functioning .
    The bridge pickup on the other hand is not . I should clarify by saying that its on , but there isn't really a tonal shift happening. Think the switching is somehow incorrect.
    Is there something about this I'm missing ?
    I tied the Blue and Black together as common ground on the 290 and ran Red as Hot.
    Some quirk that does not allow 4 way switching with the BL noiseless pickups. Should I not sum the blue and black on the 290 ?
    The 280 is BK,Wh, Blu.
    The 290 is Rd, BK, Blu.
    The BL site seems to indicate that the Blue wire is drain and the 290 has red as hot while the 280 has white as hot .
    Slightly flummoxed .
    Please pardon my electronic obtuseness . I'm a wood worker.
    If anyone can refer me to other wiring diagrams apart from the SD , I would appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Separate blue and black. No matter the wiring scheme, the blue on each pickup goes to ground. When in parallel mode, both black wires go to ground. When in series mode, one pickup's hot wire will be the actual hot output, but it's black wire will go to the hot wire of the other pickup. That pickup's black wire then goes to ground.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i don't recall how i did it but i went for this
    N>N+B>B>N+B series
    why?
    because the bridge is hotter and this way you build up volume.
    from neck to N+B series can have a huge volume difference.
    (in this case a L280 neck and a L500 XL bridge, but with a mini toggle switch to set the L500 is series/parallel)

blue wire is a extra wire that has nothing to do with the coils of the pickups, so they alway go to GND like tele-phone-man replied.
    black is always ground (coils) red and white are leads.
    just print a wiring diagram in greytones and use a marker to color the leads in the color of the lawrence wires and your good as reference

4. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't find my 4-way diagram for Bill's pups on my phone and don't recall the differences on their noiseless.

@Derek Kiernan Can probably lend the insight on them.

Eric

5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Everything said here seems right. Blue is the shield(/cover) ground, so as long as it’s not going to the switch, it should work the same as any other pickup. I think the potential “unusual” results would be with the uncovered Tele neck pickups because they might send the shield at the bottom to black since there’s not enough space for a separate shield system. Having the blue wire means you should be fine.

Either the switch is not wired correctly, the wiring reference is incorrect (it happens), or the bridge pickup has enough dominance with its almost double inductance that you’re just not getting a difference you value. Confirm both pickups are “on” in the inbetweens with a screwdriver. If they are, rebalance the volume differences with height adjustments. Let us know!

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You may want to check the blue to be certain there is no continuity to either the Black or White... it can happen..
    r

7. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

8. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

As a follow up , thanks for the advise , none of which was wrong.
    Those two pickups just don't sound the best with the 4way.
    I put an email out to the folks at Lawrence and Becky came back with a hand drawn
    diagram Bill had made using a 5 way with a cap and a half out of phase setting.
    I went to the 5 way and Bills switch layout and viola , it sounds great.
    I mean really good. These pickups make it work.
    The instrument is interesting. Its a Uke on one side and a guitar in A on the other.
    It was build as a fan tribute to the owner. Its a viable instrument , I think the internet will hear it roar.
    A one off
    This is the last rebuild out of my old shop .
    Soon in a new location.
    Thanks all...

Attached Files:

9. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

I've had L280's in one of my Strats for years put them in around 2000 and got a chance to actually talk to Bill Lawrence .. what a great guy with a ton on knowledge.. The world lost a true gem!... Great sounding pickups!!!

10. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

I definitely didn't understand the pickup positions based on what you said. Having that far of a jump (280 to 290L) with the 290 in the middle position is not a fair fight. I wouldn't have expected them to balance in series at all. The 5 way with the half out of phase will be far superior for that setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.