Lawns - how to remove moss/lichen

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Since last fall I have had growth of these lichen or moss mounds all over. Actually they would look cool if
growing on the side of trees, a cool color. Almost looks like grass but more of a carpet.

Without using poison I heard you remove using a power scarifier or power dethatcher. Not sure how to approach.
Ya, it is in a wet shaded area, but, still, this carpet has grown big time. I could just leave and let entire
lawn become that., but, not ready to throw in towel.

Also heard of using dawn and water and spraying it on and wait for it to turn gray.

Any lawn experts ideas.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Since last fall I have had growth of these lichen or moss mounds all over. Actually they would look cool if
growing on the side of trees, a cool color. Almost looks like grass but more of a carpet.

Without using poison I heard you remove using a power scarifier or power dethatcher. Not sure how to approach.
Ya, it is in a wet shaded area, but, still, this carpet has grown big time. I could just leave and let entire
lawn become that., but, not ready to throw in towel.

Also heard of using dawn and water and spraying it on and wait for it to turn gray.

Any lawn experts ideas.
You might do well to sweeten the soil with crushed limestone. Grass needs alkalinity to grow well. Moss will grow in acidic soil.
This is more of a gradual approach though. I'd aerate, limestone it, then over-seed it with shade-tolerant grass seed.
You can get a soil test to see if it is acidic. If it's not then ignore everything I said.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Very cool ((I don't do grass except what nature provides)). But, we are in what was once a heavily treed neighborhood. My neighbors intent on pursuing grass without removing trees have delimbed/heavily trimmed everything up to 12-15 feet off the ground, to allow more sun.

That is all I have except to say I experimented with some small Dutch clover a couple of years ago and noticed some of it took where the moss/lichen had been growing previously...it was eventually overcome, however.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I get a lot of moss. A lot of trees, shade, acidic, clay soil, poor drainage, the works.
The often recommended aeriate/lime/overseed routine helps, and I generally have a passable lawn before late July and August frequently cooks it back to dormant conditions.
Lots of lime though. About double what you might think was too much...

Because of the wet typical winter here, I have had better results doing that in the early spring instead of the usual recommendation of fall. I usually apply some pre-emptive broad leaf prevention, but try to minimize that. Maybe every other year.
But still, the shady areas have creeping moss patches and the chickweed... Oh the chickweed just spreeds.
Eh. I just try to keep it looking civilized and good enough. But I get appreciative comments about the landscaping.

old soul

Tele-Holic
Copper sulfate will kill moss, but really gotta dilute it down or it will kill the grass too. Might be better off trying lime then overseeding.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Keep in mind, lime not only corrects the ph, but also effectively improves the bioavailability of nutrients. So any feeding is more effective/less wasteful. (You get more out of less in my case. I use very little)
My oak trees increase the acidity, and it needs to be regularly corrected back to where turfgrass thrives. Simple.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My yard is about 25% now with moss. Under some large oaks which are all over the proprety. We had them trimmed up to allow more sunlight. I've already started scalping. No chemical is going to work on this thick stuff in a short time. I just started last Monday.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Moss/lichen is Nature telling you grass should not be there. Sure, you can remove/fight it forever, but I would consider either removing overstory (trees), or simply replacing the grass with pollinator species or something that will grow in that area. Personally, I view a nice carpet of moss as something desirable. I have tried reseeding with shade species of grass with no success. You literally need to keep amending the soil to keep grass growing in those spots. Unless you have homeowner association requirements, I would let it be. If you DO have requirements, I would consider landscaping that area with appropriate plants or features.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I’ve got lots of it, too. Sometimes I just leave it, but when I do decide to remove it, I find that a steel rake lifts it up easily in sizable mats. It leaves almost-bare soil ready for grass seed. However, it’ll always come back to some extent. I don’t use chemicals in my yard because our water comes from a well on the property. Any lawn care has to be via natural methods and physical exertion.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
Iron sulfate.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I gave up on grass in real shady areas and let the moss take over. I used to fight it, but I actually prefer it in those areas now. It's green, it absorbs water and it doesn't need mowing.

peteb

Friend of Leo's
It as an annual ritual here in the PNW.

I have been using products like rid moss and Lilly Miller moss out for thirty years.

timing is everything.

put it out too early, before the growing season, and it will have little to no effect. Growing season starts at 60 degree F., even though moss seems to grow year round.

put it out too late and you risk burning the grass.

the best day is the first day the temp hits 70.

even then, I find the result hit and miss with granules. And, it takes hours to see the result.

last year I started using the hose applicator. it is way easier to apply, more effective and you see the result within five minutes.

I won’t ever use granules again.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My small lawn near the main door is loaded with moss in some parts. It's maybe 15 ft x 40 ft. I have tried to re seed the grass a few times, with little improvement. This year I am trying harder.

I used a metal rake to pull much of the moss off. Then dragged it into a pile with a plastic leaf rake. It's a back breaker. It's wet right now and it comes off quickly and only maybe 1/2" thick. Then I seeded. The reality is though that the seeding process is supposed to place the seed up to 2" deep. I just raked it in a bit. We'll see.

However, in the big yard, the moss is much different, like 2-3" thick and very spongy! You'd never get that stuff up. But I only mow out there.

I really should just pay someone to rebuild the small yard and put sod in. But I hate sod. It's thick and spongy and just doesn't seem right.

grass1.jpg grass(2).jpg

Last edited: