lawnmower problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, May 18, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've used one of the EGO 56v mowers from work at my house for three seasons, and it cuts well for a good amount of time, maybe not a solid 45 min though.
    If any of that time was moving stuff or backtracking the mower doesn't have to stay running since there's no starting, if that helps.
    Their edger uses a smaller battery that fits the mower and you can keep it charged to get through the rest while the big one is charging up again.

I doubt you'll get 20 years out of one, but this one was surprisingly decent, with a better bag than Honda.

guitarmoron likes this.
  2. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Why did you buy a battery powered lawn mower if your gas one is good to go?

guitarmoron likes this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can't speak for BouBou but there are some folks who do whatever they can to cut down on fossil fuel emissions.

guitarmoron likes this.
  4. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

63% of the electricity in the U.S. is produced from fossil fuel .

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Some things never change eh
    source.gif

guitarmoron, duzie and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sell it and buy a Honda Commercial mower. I have abused mine, left it out in the weather for 15 years and never serviced it or changed the filter/plug. Starts every time.

stratofortress and trev333 like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My neighbour gave me a Honda self drive mower after updating his. He's a mowing contractor so it was well used... the only catch is the self drive gear doesn't work.. and I have to push the thing...:(

It starts and runs OK but it's a bit heavy.. I just use it on the flats around the house.... handy for free..:)

guitarmoron and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Honda stuff is a little pricey when buying new but taking in to consideration that you never need to do any maintenance on them and they last over 20 years I think the extra is worth it. I have several Honda powered machines, compaction plates, Kanga Loader, Mower, Generator. All have lived out in the weather for over 15 years, No maintenance ever and they all work well.
    I drag the mower out of the weeds, pull all the crap off it and it goes every time.
    About once a year I pull all the dried grass and gunk off the air filter by hand and put it back on.

guitarmoron likes this.
  9. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

I used our lm with 95 octane gas (= lots of ethanol). It ran well 2-3years, but it started to run unevenly and drink a lot of gas. There's a small rubber "thing" on the carburettor that needs to be changed after it has streched too much. I started to use 98 octane (less ethanol) gas and now it runs well much longer.

guitarmoron likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think I've ever bought a new mower of any kind... been getting by with used ones or cast offs from friends bought cheaply...

I give them a hard time so a new one wouldn't stay new for long around here anyway......

11. william tele

Those same people that bought an electric mower are probably working to lower that number. There have been solar chargers for quite some time. You don't get planet saving changes by using up all the resources and being forced to change...you change a little at a time so the demand for dirty, earth killing power becomes unprofitable.

In theory...

guitarmoron likes this.
  12. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

If the carburetor design allows it, take the carb apart and try blowing air through every tiny hole. It only takes a small piece of crud in there to cause problems just like yours. If you want to use a wire to poke through the holes, only use a soft copper wire, which you can get out of a stranded electric wire. You might have to search for a small wire that has small enough strands. Don't poke with a steel wire. Beware of carbs with thin rubber diasphragms, you have to be careful not to rip those.

guitarmoron and Piggy Stu like this.
  13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Our electricity is hydroelectric, so much water here

guitarmoron and william tele like this.
  14. william tele

There you go. You just decreased your household's dependency on oil....:)

guitarmoron likes this.
  15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I have a silver commercial grade John Deere self propelled mower that is over 25 years old and still going like it did 25 years ago. I actually love it, enough that I picked up another used one I found local to save when this one finally dies, thinking another 20 years or so... best mower ever built in my mind.

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I have your basic self propelled Toro. This one is about fifteen years old. I do change the oil and occasionally the spark plug. Starts on the first pull. This is my second Toro. The first one lasted about fifteen years. On it the engine was still good but the bolt holes in the lawnmower base rusted so the engine would move. My new one isn’t doing that.

guitarmoron likes this.
  17. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

guitarmoron and blowtorch like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a manual push mower. I traded it for a tool box, something that was easier to ignore than the mower.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Boubou probably gets his power from Hydro Quebec.

But where other sources are used, if it is coal, to me that's worse than gasoline. That stupid coal is filled with mercury, cadmium and so forth.

I hope Boubou found someone away from him that can still use his old mower. The amount of energy that goes into the manufacture of these darned things, everyone thinks it doesn't matter. It does matter, if you gobble up a bunch of energy and raw materials that could otherwise stay on the sidelines.

guitarmoron, Piggy Stu and duzie like this.
  20. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yes, Hydro Quebec and yes I am trying to rehome my gas mower

guitarmoron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.