1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lava Cables

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FosterF, Jan 15, 2013.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Okay question about these guys.

Just got my first pack of lavas. Made some to go between pedals no problem, but the ones I made for my tap tempo and expression pedals don't work? They work to carry signal, but don't control anything.. What's wrong here?

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Expression Pedals / Tap Tempo Pedals use TRS cable. Usually.

3. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

I thought about this, but the cables I've been using were just standard TS patch cables as well.

4. artdecade

http://missionengineering.com/about-mission-expression-pedals/

Most potentiometers have three connectors; Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, and Wiper. Amazingly, there are actually several different ways these can be wired, all achieving largely the same result, which means yet more variations for expression pedals. The most common expression pedal wiring is to connect the pot to a 1/4″ stereo (TRS) instrument jack as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
    Wiper — Tip
    CCW —– Ring

An alternative is with the tip and the ring reversed as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
    Wiper — Ring
    CCW —– Tip

Yet a third way is as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
    Wiper — Tip
    CCW —– Tip

In this last one, the wiper and CCW are bonded together and connected to the tip and the ring is unused. This requires the use of a mono (TS) cable such as a regular guitar cable, in place of the stereo (TRS) cable used in the other two.

An expression pedal with wiring polarity that matches the equipment specifications is required. Using a pedal with incompatible wiring can result in limited range, jumping or notch like response, or the pedal just won’t function at all.

5. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

This is true, but I built both the expression pedal and the tap tempo controller. They both have a TS jack in them and I've been using TS cables successfully for a couple of years. BUT they don't work just with the Lava Cables.

6. artdecade

In that case, I am at a loss.... Sorry.

7. livinblood

livinblood Tele-Meister

This is weird. I tried to use my George L patch cable I made for my Boss tap tempo and it didn't work either.....that is until I made sure I made the cable right. It works perfect now. Maybe you made that one not tight enough or something?

8. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Got it working! Apparently one small wire was grounding to the center. It wasn't enough to cause any discernible tone loss, but it was enough to not let the controls recognize the trigger closing.

Thanks for your help guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.