1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Laurie Lewis and and Pick Advice

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Smoky Booroo, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I wanted to pass this on because it is one of the best pieces of tone advice I've found in a long time.

Laurie Lewis is a local treasure around here. I think she's up for a Grammy with her latest album. She plays amazing bluegrass. Anyway, in the the latest Acoustic Guitar magazine they ask a bunch of guitarists for advice and hers was to carry around sandpaper. she says:

"I make sure that whatever pick I use has a smooth edge.... picks with a lot of wear from the strings also sound scratchy. When a pick gets a little worn edge, a little fine sand paper helps it along, followed by a buffing on the blue jeans."

Anyway, very simple and I'm not sure why I've never thought of it. I use hard celluloid picks and they are kind of brittle. I used this at band practice over the weekend and it was really great.

Good reason to keep reading those magazines!

Cheers.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.