Laughing In A Movie Theater

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A buddy of mine got jumped in the lobby and had his leg broken, for shushing some people in a theatre. Still walks with a limp.

To the OP, a good friend of mine and his sister went to see The Shining. At one of the most tense moments, my buddy ripped a giant one. We could not stop laughing for the rest of the movie.

Ripped a giant what? :lol::lol::lol:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i have a hard time watching movies without yapping unless i'm alone. i lived with filmmakers for a long time. movie night was talking through the whole movie about shots, scenes, performances, etc. like basically watching the movie with the commentary track on. i'm no film expert, but i got really used to that and have to remind myself to shut the hell up when i watch stuff with most people now.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
When Galaxy Quest came out, I took my then girlfriend. I was a huge Star Trek fan as a kid, she knew very little about it. There weren’t many people in The audience, and they weren’t laughing at much but the most obvious stuff. I, on the other hand, laughed at many things that were only funny to Trek fans. About a third of the way through she turned to me and said “You have to stop laughing at things that aren’t funny.”

I knew then that we were doomed as a couple.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
No it was Prince of Darkness!

Took me a while to figure it out, find it online.
I knew it! I read this thread this morning and was going to ask if that was the one, but didn't have time to reply. I haven't watched it in a long time but remember it had a great atmosphere. The end scene with the distorted tv airwave video of the Big Bad thing emerging scared me more than any other movie had at that time. Arguably Carpenter's most underrated movie.

Back on topic, when I saw Lethal Weapon 3 or 4, there was some drunk guy in the theater. A baddie took a nailgun or rivet gun or something to the head and the drunk guy did the Chester Cheetah "Ai-ai-ai-ai" sound effect. I thought it was great.

More recently (well, 15 years ago or so) some friends and I went to the theater to see, for reasons I don't understand, "Blood and Chocolate," aka "Secret Werewolves Who Bake Pastries and Sometimes Do Parkour". It ended up being just us in the theater so we riffed on it the whole time without fear of offending anyone. It was fun and memorable in that I've never gotten a theater alone like that before. Otherwise I'd still probably be angry about that movie, like I am about Mac and Me.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Years ago I had a coworker that had a very cynical attitude. Titanic was at the theaters at the time and I had gone to see it and was telling him how it made me cry at the end. He said he had gone to see it with a friend. Apparently they were both unimpressed and towards the end when the ship finally slipped beneath the waves, his friend blurted out very loud "Oh good. At least this means there won't be a sequel."

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Years ago I went to see a collection of Warner Bros. cartoons with some friends. The theater wasn't crowded, but a group of hipsters was seated not far from us. We love those old cartoons and were laughing loudly at them. Someone in that group of hipsters kept turning around and shushing us. One of my buddies eventually had enough and yelled at them, "They're cartoons! You're supposed to laugh, dumbass!" The hipsters got up and moved to a far corner of the theater.

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
When I saw Pulp Fiction during its first run I was the only one in the theater to laugh out loud. It was a weekday matinee and only about half full, but dang.
I saw that on opening day also during a weekday matinee. When Marvin got shot in the face I was the only one in the theater who laughed. Still funny.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
When I saw Pulp Fiction during its first run I was the only one in the theater to laugh out loud. It was a weekday matinee and only about half full, but dang.
I've seen that movie more times than you'll get me to admit, and the second Vincent turns to Marvin in that car I try to brace myself but still TO THIS DAY I can't keep from laughing.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Back when I was a lush I remember going to see Reservoir Dogs on my own. I smuggled a three litre bottle of cider in with me and was sitting up the back laughing when the ear gets lobbed off.

The one which I cringe every time I think about it was going to see Trainspotting with a group of friends. I was drunk before I went in and took a bottle of cider and a bottle of caffeine laden fortified wine in with me and sat and talked throughout the movie like the kind of dick I would rage at if I was at the cinema now. When we left me and one of my best friends got into a drunken argument over who was most in love with a woman we had both gone out with but neither of us was at that time, had a daylight fistfight and stormed off in opposite directions.

In the eighteen months prior to the world stopping I went on a movie binge and went to about eighty movies. At two of them, Jaws and Robocop, some guy was in the audience and sat quite close to me. He'd laugh out loud and let out really loud farts and talk to himself. On leaving one of the movies I was passing a group of four people who had been at the movie and they all stopped talking and looked at me and I was like "sheet, they think that was me!."

Edit, 2006, I took another friend to see Jindabyne and he sat and coughed, I don't know if it was a nervous cough or what, for about forty minutes then got up and left and I wish I'd asked him to leave half an hour earlier when it became a prospect that the coughing wasn't going to stop.

2001, I took the same woman we had the fight over to see Ghost World. When we left she actually became angry and bitter because there were no ghosts in it, she thought she was going to see a ghost story.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I saw the exorcist in the '70s when it first came out and all over the US people were getting admitted to psych wards after seeing it.
As a teen I laughed through the whole movie in the packed theater, and nobody else was laughing.

I mean c'mon, cone shaped sheet up to Linda Blairs neck and her head rotated inside, then the hidden hose shooting vomit?

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I was an altar boy when I was a kid. We used to try to make each other laugh during the service.
Brother from another mother...

Our youth group could hardly contain ourselves on Sunday mornings. The officiant was from the Middle East, with his accent he would say, "Let us spray".

Thinking of that still makes me smile.

WRHB

Tele-Meister
Brother from another mother...

Our youth group could hardly contain ourselves on Sunday mornings. The officiant was from the Middle East, with his accent he would say, "Let us spray".

Thinking of that still makes me smile.
Billy Graham was in another country preaching. When he said Jesus is alive the translator thought he said Jesus is a liar because of his accent. Lol.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
In college, I went with a date to see “Vincent & Theo”

Vincent_%26_Theo_poster.png

The movie was a little bit “long” and the narrator reading Van Gogh’s letters had a strange speech affectation. Many of the excerpts were punctuated with a long, groaning sigh.

Every time the narrator sighed, it gave me near-fatal case of “church giggles”. My date kept elbowing me in the ribs because I was laughing at very inappropriate moments.