Laughing In A Movie Theater

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Sure, for a comedy, no problem.

A few weeks ago, we went to see "Dr. Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness".

This does not spoil the movie or give anything away, so read on if you have not seen the movie.

There is a a scene where a door and frame appeared in a snowy environment. My wife looks at me and whispers "Oh, look, kind of like 'Monsters, Inc.'!"

I am blessed with natural comedic timing. So I look back at her, and channel my best inner John Ratzenberger, and reply in a low voice "Welcome to the Himalayas!"

My wife started laughing so hard, she could barely contain herself, all the while trying not to be loud. The kids were looking at her, wondering why she was laughing, and she could not even get a word out. Fortunately, there were very few people in the theater, so nobody was inconvenienced. The closest people were 5 rows away.

Ever since then, all I have to do is repeat that phrase, and she starts laughing again.

The quote was not as much funny as the timing of it was spot on.

Yeah, I probably should not have done that, as this was a public theater, but you know - opportunity and all that. I would be lying if I said that was the only time I have done that...

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I had a GF and her and her sisters were down right embarrassing in theaters! Uncontrollable loud hysteric LONG laughter at even the weakest funny moments. Everyone in front would turn around...Look at them then at me like I should do something about it!

First couple times kinda funny then it got disturbing....made me question our relationship!

No way you to go to a comedy film with them. You prayed there was no funny part in any film if you went to any film with them. But they'd find something to make a spectacle of themselves about every time!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
As a kid in a crowded theater watching psycho and scared as all get out. Right after the shower scene he is washing his hands, theater is dead quiet and I say to nobody in particular "There is only one soap that will clean those hands" referring to the Lava commercials of that time. Whole place starts laughing. Couldn't sleep without the lights on for weeks, but still consider that my crowning kid moment.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
As a kid in a crowded theater watching psycho and scared as all get out. Right after the shower scene he is washing his hands, theater is dead quiet and I say to nobody in particular "There is only one soap that will clean those hands" referring to the Lava commercials of that time. Whole place starts laughing. Couldn't sleep without the lights on for weeks, but still consider that my crowning kid moment.

There is a place for this! When I lived in Eureka CA it seemed talking at the screen and commenting scenes was par for the course.

I saw some horror film back in the 1980s then and there was this ominous dark room with a green illumined glass cylinder in the middle. Some one yelled out "frog in a blender"!

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Many movies are designed with pauses for the audience to laugh. Even horror films have tension building scenes which are released by an unexpectedly funny twist to break the tension.

Joking with the film sometimes works and sometimes falls flat. All about your comedic chops, timing and the audience you're with.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sure, for a comedy, no problem.

A few weeks ago, we went to see "Dr. Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness".

This does not spoil the movie or give anything away, so read on if you have not seen the movie.

There is a a scene where a door and frame appeared in a snowy environment. My wife looks at me and whispers "Oh, look, kind of like 'Monsters, Inc.'!"

I am blessed with natural comedic timing. So I look back at her, and channel my best inner John Ratzenberger, and reply in a low voice "Welcome to the Himalayas!"

My wife started laughing so hard, she could barely contain herself, all the while trying not to be loud. The kids were looking at her, wondering why she was laughing, and she could not even get a word out. Fortunately, there were very few people in the theater, so nobody was inconvenienced. The closest people were 5 rows away.

Ever since then, all I have to do is repeat that phrase, and she starts laughing again.

The quote was not as much funny as the timing of it was spot on.

Yeah, I probably should not have done that, as this was a public theater, but you know - opportunity and all that. I would be lying if I said that was the only time I have done that...
I can't wait to see the hilarity you'll bring to movies when you go see the Northman.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
My buddies and I sat behind a squad of Marines at "The Exorcist". They were laughing and cutting/commenting the whole time...and we joined in.
When we left, the squad leader stopped us in the lobby and said something like, "You guys were funny as hell! Join up when you graduate."

That scared me worse than the movie...

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
There is a place for this! When I lived in Eureka CA it seemed talking at the screen and commenting scenes was par for the course.

I saw some horror film back in the 1980s then and there was this ominous dark room with a green illumined glass cylinder in the middle. Some one yelled out "frog in a blender"!
Reanimator?

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
My GF would get upset with me when I laughed loudly at the funny bits in movies.

Like I was disturbing the other people who either didn’t get the joke or weren’t finding it as funny as I did.

I mean, WTF?

WRHB

Tele-Meister
I was an altar boy when I was a kid. We used to try to make each other laugh during the service. We were horrible. I think making your wife laugh in a movie theatre is fine.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I generally don't appreciate people "adding their own" dialogue to movies, but it sounded like it was optimal conditions for you and your wife since there wasn't much of an audience. And it was only one instance, so I'm sure the other theater-goers forgave you.

Several years back, I attended a movie that was one installment of a David Lynch marathon at the Alamo Drafthouse here in town. My girlfriend (at the time), a friend of hers and myself had a few drinks before the movie at a nearby bar and then went to the movie. My girlfriend and her friend were very chatty during the previews, even to the extent that I was kind of concerned with how loud they were being. Then the movie started and they didn't stop! I slunk down in my seat trying to make myself invisible because I was embarrassed. A few minutes later, an usher came by to tell them this was their first warning and there would not be a second one. I was glad the usher shut them down!

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Yeah, I generally don't appreciate people "adding their own" dialogue to movies, but it sounded like it was optimal conditions for you and your wife since there wasn't much of an audience. And it was only one instance, so I'm sure the other theater-goers forgave you.

Several years back, I attended a movie that was one installment of a David Lynch marathon at the Alamo Drafthouse here in town. My girlfriend (at the time), a friend of hers and myself had a few drinks before the movie at a nearby bar and then went to the movie. My girlfriend and her friend were very chatty during the previews, even to the extent that I was kind of concerned with how loud they were being. Then the movie started and they didn't stop! I slunk down in my seat trying to make myself invisible because I was embarrassed. A few minutes later, an usher came by to tell them this was their first warning and there would not be a second one. I was glad the usher shut them down!
A buddy of mine got jumped in the lobby and had his leg broken, for shushing some people in a theatre. Still walks with a limp.

To the OP, a good friend of mine and his sister went to see The Shining. At one of the most tense moments, my buddy ripped a giant one. We could not stop laughing for the rest of the movie.