Latest phone rant / upgrade? (ha!) - Where did all the podcasts go?

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
It was time for a new phone. I broke the old one's screen. It dropped at practice and hit the only exposed bolt on the music stand in a way to crack the screen. The memory was all jacked up and all the sounds were on at full blast. It was a Motorola Droid Z4. I've had like 5 prior Motorolas.

The verizon guy was quite helpful and said all the newest top of the line Motorola sucked. None are called Droid anymore. I was going to buy the lowest cost whatever it was, but I found that the memory was only 64MB and memory was my problem. So I got a Samsung. My wife has a Samsung.

I spent hours loading all the apps I use and getting it back to where it's almost just like the Droid. It first all the sounds were the default sound my wife has for her 900 texts and notifications. I was almost homicidal trying to shut off that sound. I hate it. I'd rather got to Guitar Center and listen to the shredfest. Argg.

Then I come to realize, there's no headphone jack on this thing. I have headphone on almost all day long for work and they are wired. For a call, I will just pull them out of the laptop and plug into the Z4 when I need to make a call. Now, I have to source a bluetooth headset for this. And keep it charged. Yay, one more thing to keep up with.

New phone don't come with a charger, you have to pay for that. I asked the sales guy to take it off cause I already had a bunch at home. Now I can spend that money on a bluetooth headset I didn't want.

Why does progress need to be so hard?

BTW: Trying to reload my list of podcasts. I used to have a bunch of music ones I like but they gradually just started disappearing with no warning. Did the host die? In jail? There's no notice as to what happened to them. I guess it's OK, I need a bluetooth headset to listen anyway. Grr.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
It should be fairly straight forward and it's easier with a first tier phone and a combo of following best practices and knowing how you set things up.

Knowing what app you use for podcasts might help.

We manage 200+ Android and Apple for staff and help near 1000 employees with phones to the extent they access schedule and payroll info. From that I can also say just don't get an Android phone if you want the most sure and easy way to always have your stuff.

Above all knowing what you had and how you had things set up is the easiest way to know how to help.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
IMO Bluetooth buds are the best thing about even having a portable device.
I find lost sets all the time, so free is good. But even at under $40 the set I primarily use sounds very good.
Zero chance of me spending unnecessary iPrices for such a simple luxury though. No.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I find lost sets all the time, so free is good. But even at under $40 the set I primarily use sounds very good.
Zero chance of me spending unnecessary iPrices for such a simple luxury though. No.
There are lots of really great for money Bluetooth sets but state of the art are more amazing than I expected. What for trademarks or brands is Dolby Atmos or called spatial audio is wonderful. For Android, Windows and not all Apple devices there are apps that enable some of the features.

I look at the prices this way. For the work I do now an iPhone and AirPods Pro or the beats counterpart are no different than for the most part I needed the best tools when I was a fleet shop supervisor. The twist for consumers is what we see supporting so many staff.

At work our annual audits prove iPhones are the cheapest overall because they last longest, have fewer problems, best repair options, and lowest support costs. I believe that translates to consumers when I see how well people do with aging iPhones.

Security matters are important with phones too. My position finds compromised users. My security platform warns of it. That more than anything can make cheap Android purchases bad. The first tier phones are going to better guarantee there will be software patching.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's

I picked up the set below. I had another set in the past so I wasn't unfamiliar. But that set had a wire between them. I just didn't want another thing to keep up with or keep charged. I plugged them right into my work form home laptop and they charge in their little cradle.

I popped them in put on the Ozzy channel on pandora and rocked out while I changed the oil in the truck and mowed the lawn.

Color me impressed. They worked great and sounded good for all of $20.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
There are lots of really great for money Bluetooth sets but state of the art are more amazing than I expected. What for trademarks or brands is Dolby Atmos or called spatial audio is wonderful. For Android, Windows and not all Apple devices there are apps that enable some of the features.

I look at the prices this way. For the work I do now an iPhone and AirPods Pro or the beats counterpart are no different than for the most part I needed the best tools when I was a fleet shop supervisor. The twist for consumers is what we see supporting so many staff.

At work our annual audits prove iPhones are the cheapest overall because they last longest, have fewer problems, best repair options, and lowest support costs. I believe that translates to consumers when I see how well people do with aging iPhones.

Security matters are important with phones too. My position finds compromised users. My security platform warns of it. That more than anything can make cheap Android purchases bad. The first tier phones are going to better guarantee there will be software patching.

That's a shame. I really like Motorola phones. Last one I had was awesome. Didn't do crazy, weird stuff at all. The new LG Stylo 6 I bought is friggin' garbage!
Oh man, I cannot believe that it isn't embedded in some sheet rock somewhere! Wanted to throw that thing through a wall so many times!!!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My Note 7 is about to be retired and I am dreading the same discovery. I can barely stand the Note now, I hate to think what is in store next.

Not much better at home either. My little area just upgraded to fiber optic 5G internet after a year-long project of installing all the cables. They just finished hooking up my house....it just made things worse.

First, we were still using DSL in this area and the installers refused to run cables to my upstairs office where all my gizmos are operating (said they only brought 10 feet of cable). So, they told me that they would just set up a wireless router on the main floor instead, no charge.

When they left, the router was just left sitting on the floor in the corner of the room. I called them back and was told that their job is just to bring the service into the home, it was the homeowner's job to figure out what to do with it after that.

Swell, they did run a speed test before leaving and confirmed that my internet download speed was now 99 mbs. Sounded great until I went to the office and realized that my desktop didn't have built-in wifi. It is only 3 years old, but it was set-up for my business at the time and used a LAN connection so I never thought about it.

So, in order to get back on the internet, I had to go out and buy a USB wifi adapter which works fine, but I certainly am not getting faster service than before....quite slow actually.

I am just not a tech guy and with each passing year I am finding myself dreaming of the day we get hit with an EMP blast so I can be happy again. I already picked out my cave.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Your funny....lol
Getting towards retirement age I'm convinced little can be done with the willful ignorance however the oversight of our (IT dept) work proves my point on the value in first tier mobile products and following instructions.
My Note 7 is about to be retired and I am dreading the same discovery. I can barely stand the Note now, I hate to think what is in store next.

Not much better at home either. My little area just upgraded to fiber optic 5G internet after a year-long project of installing all the cables. They just finished hooking up my house....it just made things worse.

First, we were still using DSL in this area and the installers refused to run cables to my upstairs office where all my gizmos are operating (said they only brought 10 feet of cable). So, they told me that they would just set up a wireless router on the main floor instead, no charge.

When they left, the router was just left sitting on the floor in the corner of the room. I called them back and was told that their job is just to bring the service into the home, it was the homeowner's job to figure out what to do with it after that.

Swell, they did run a speed test before leaving and confirmed that my internet download speed was now 99 mbs. Sounded great until I went to the office and realized that my desktop didn't have built-in wifi. It is only 3 years old, but it was set-up for my business at the time and used a LAN connection so I never thought about it.

So, in order to get back on the internet, I had to go out and buy a USB wifi adapter which works fine, but I certainly am not getting faster service than before....quite slow actually.

I am just not a tech guy and with each passing year I am finding myself dreaming of the day we get hit with an EMP blast so I can be happy again. I already picked out my cave.
If your ISP has had upgrades in the neighborhood consider upgrades inside of your house. Many "free" and low cost router/switch/AP units offer craptacular experiences you can avoid. Think about how the competitive good stuff market is $300-600. You get what you pay for.

@getbent posted on his experience with the newer generation Amplifi product. I'm still happy with their still sold predecessor. Parent firm Ubiquiti makes enterprise stuff. You get better chipsets and software upgrades than lots of popular stuff. You get band steering so you can use older and newer devices better.

It's likely you can use a wired connection with our desktop computer to the router itself. A newer WiFi 6 unit could work as a single unit if your mobile stuff supports WiFi 6.

No matter what keep in mind WiFi and other wireless will still have imperfections from things like how many channels are shared, the house or building, and at times people are missing device updates that should be run.

The hands down best is a small Meraki but that's expensive to buy and keep licensed. My assistant and I have to do care and feeding of the c suite, HR and site exec staff work from home. We keep them happy with the Cisco and Ubiquiti stuff but the best is still imperfect.

middy

Friend of Leo's
That’s weird. When got a new iPhone I logged into my iCloud account and it set everything back to exactly how I had it on the old phone. 🤷‍♂️

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I got AC installed at our house last week. We never needed it, but the last 3 years, it has gotten progressively hotter and, shrug, why be uncomfortable. I kinda laughed, we have a nest and it synched right up the second the guy wired in the AC, a whole new set of menus showed up! Cool! We have a combo of Amplifi for our wifi and a couple of Gig switches for our outdoor cameras tied to a video server I set up (so, local and cloud storage and available on our phones) and we have our indoor cameras on wifi tied to our garage door opener software so we can check on the dogs during the day.

I even have a wifi Radio so I can listen to Cattle Country in Prescott, Az when I tinker in the garage.

On phones, we have Verizon and iphones and they work exactly like they are supposed to. Our tvs are set to 2160 which synchs with our linked apple tvs... it is simple and works like it should.

We will probably get new phones next winter we have iphone 10 so, not the best, not the worst.

When stuff changes or we have updates, I set that time to do that on saturday mornings between 7-10.... I'll do the laptops, the phones, the apple tvs etc and just get them all going... no big deal, when stuff shuffles on an app, just quietly do it without getting frustrated and keep up the updates and not many bad surprises....