Late bloomers in music history

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Muinarc, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I was thinking the other day about the phenomenon where the young still-developing brain can be considered the most creative. Many inventors and scientist made their breakthroughs in their teens and 20's and this is often attributed to both the young brain and their general ignorance helping them "think outside the box".

I have often felt this is true with music. From my experience (and personal preferences), it seems most bands and musicians start their careers around the age of 20 and do their best work within their first 3 albums. After that you end up with songs about being on the road, thier dog that died, how hard it is to be famous and a millionaire, etc. They run out of life experiences we can relate to (other than love) and become less interesing. They also tend to make less musically interesting songs on a technical level.

So can anyone tell us about a musical act that they personally feel had their best album at or later than their 4th?

Rules:

1. Beatles don't count becuase they are too obvious :p
    2. Must be 4th studio album or later, not including compilations (greatest hits) or Live albums.
    3. This is subjective, don't be afraid to say Bob Dylan's Infidels album (I love that one, his 21st).
    4. All genre's are welcome, I assume a lot of Jazz musicians peak late in their careers.

I'll start off with Elton John's Madman Across the Water. For me this is the best work he ever did and it only took him 4 albums to get there ;)

Elton_John_-_Madman_Across_the_Water.jpg

I hope to learn and discover some new albums from this thread.... and also who is actually enjoying the 50 year old versions of the Rolling Stones and their contemporaries that can't seem to retire.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

jethro Tull, first 2 albums are great but from benifit on they kicked it and their stage show was outstanding!

3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I really like most of Jackson Browne’s earlier stuff but thought his “I’m Alive” release was his best!

24 track and Muinarc like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Roxy music developed after their first albums as well and polished acts as well

5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Every Blackberry Smoke album is top notch, but they seem to both expand their horizons and make each album better than the one before it. Maybe not "late bloomers", but they have never rested on their laurels!

6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

Not that I agree, but tha Allman Brothers 4th studio album, Brothers & Sisters, is considered their commercial peak, selling over 7 million albums worldwide.

Personally, I don't believe there's any way they got better after Duane & Berry's deaths. Commercial success doesn't equal creative success. Creatively, they were best with Duane and Berry around, IMO. This really isn't a reply to the original question, but I thought I'd add it anyway.

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (..or maybe IV. Both albums fully realized, cohesive statements. The noodling and bashing stripped away.)
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (Their 8th album! But they were pretty much a different band after Syd's departure..so maybe it's really their 6th album.)
    Rush - A Farewell To Kings (Moving Pictures was the big one, but this is my personal favorite. The album where they grew from smart rock 'n rollers to mature, full fledged musicians.)
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (The writing, the arranging, the performance...it doesn't get much better. And he was only 25 when it was released.)
    Aerosmith - Rocks (I think it's a more influential album than it gets credit for. They really never topped this.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Aqualung and Thick as a Brick at their 4th and 5th efforts! Good ones I hadn't thought of.

stevemc and 24 track like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the ex just keep getting better. nick cave bloomed into something completely different after a bunch of albums with the birthday party.

drlucky and stevemc like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Styx, The Grand Illusion. 7 albums in.
    There was some good stuff before it, but this was them at their peak, IMO.

11. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Kraftwerk. "Autobahn" was the 4th album, and really sealed the deal.
    Mind you, the 3rd album is pretty great, but not so commercial.
    The first 2 albums are more like a band jamming with synths - which is OK but not the fully-formed concept they became.

David Bowie. "Hunky Dory" was the 4th album, which gave us all "Life On Mars", "Oh,You Pretty Things", "Andy Warhol", "Quenn B**ch" etc.
    The preceding album was "The Man Who Sold The World" which kinda had one good (by Bowie standards) song on it - the title track.

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

REM - Fables of the Reconstruction.

Technically their 4th album (3rd full length). Not the most popular opinion. But it's the quintessential REM album, in my world.

drlucky and Norris Vulcan like this.
  13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Beck

ElJay370 likes this.
  14. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

What Beck album is your favorite?

These are two acts that changed so much I'm not at all surpriesed to see them mentioned. You'll find fans of any era of their works probably. I'd throw Radiohead in there as well though I'm not the biggest fan of theirs.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I still fall back to Murmur or Reckoning most often when I'm in the mood for REM. Fables is a fine album, too.

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Steely Dan 'Katy Lied' 'The Royal Scam' 'Aja'
    Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here'
    Leonard Cohen 'I'm Your Man'
    Neil Young 'Harvest'
    Deep Purple 'In Rock' 'Fireball' 'Machine Head'

To name but five.

17. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Wilco was moving away from their alt-rock country sound by their 3rd album. By the time they released YHF they had found their sound. Love them or hate them, the 4th album made them.

ataylor and Muinarc like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

19. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I’m a Sea Change guy, but even Odelay and Mutations were five and six albums in, respectively. Morning Phase is a standout as well.

I thought about Radiohead as well, but OK Computer is album number three, which is the masterpiece, IMO.

Rev Rhythm, ElJay370 and Muinarc like this.
  20. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

XTC: Black Sea, English Settlement. Their 4th and 5th albums

Really, they just kept getting better with each album, IMHO...

SuprHtr, Norris Vulcan and Muinarc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.