Late 80s Squire Strat came back to me.

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So I gave this MIM 1989 Squire Strat with a Floyd Rose II double locking trem to my brother many nearly 30 years ago. He recently gave it back. I never noticed how poorly the nut was installed...or how shi++y the frets were/are and several other issues. I was an acoustic guy back then and really didn’t play this thing much. Simply not savvy enough to recognize the issues. Bro almost never played it so there it sat for many, many years.
Overall, it’s in great shape...except for the parts that aren’t.

I got this guitar home and tore into it. One to the trem posts was loose, action was horrible, intonation way off, and the frets looked like someone set the action by filing the frets down! Really low on the bass side, all scratched with file marks, and nearly full height on the high e side. Level, crown, and polish was not an option.

So I did my first refret. Turned out great...I’ve built many necks so not an unfamiliar process. Gave me a chance to try dressing the fret ends “hemispherical”.

Tedious and time consuming but I attribute that to the learning curve. Happy with the results.

image.jpg

On to the nut. Looks like a really bad QC day in Mexico. The locking nut is shifted in the slot toward the low E by about 1/16”ish. Here’s some pics:

CB2493B6-190C-4E7D-AD45-A83B46B68E79.jpeg

60D9D745-2871-4467-AB39-EA56B7506941.jpeg
ED00ED68-7135-465F-91D4-6CCB2DBF9F0A.jpeg

The mounting holes are spot on even on either side of the trussrod route so it looks like the neck was carved wrong. Plugging and relocating the holes won’t work as one of them would then encroach into the trussrod access.

My question: How would you correct this? Will a regular bone nut work? I am not normally a trem guy (this one is blocked) so that was my first thought...replace with a standard nut to get strings located on the fretboard correctly, keep the term blocked, and life will be happy.

Now, the flip side is to keep a locking nut on there, unblock the trem, and come up with a solution for the misalignment. Even though I don’t use trem equipped guitars very much, I’m thinking this one I’d use...if the nut weren’t so wonky.

All input is welcome.

Thanks.!
Jeffro

Last edited:

TheZ

Tele-Meister
Really nice work on the frets! I don't have any experience with that style of nut but I would look into making a custom one to fit if you're comfortable with that. Black corian maybe would blend better since it'd need a little extra section to cover the gap

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Well this “project” is tabled for now as I have no fewer than 5 other guitars I need to work on.

However, I would still welcome any suggestions for correcting this.

Thanks.
Jeff
B5A1A829-F5A6-4C50-828F-6ED75165140E.jpeg