1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Late 70s or early 80s LP with very shallow/flat carved top?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Thoughtfree, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A question for the Les Paul knowledgeable: Back in the early 80s I briefly owned a sunburst Gibson Les Paul. I think it was a Standard. It was an OK guitar but I didn't love it.

It had a carved maple top, but the carve was not anywhere as deep as it should have been - certainly not nearly as dished-out as most other LPs I've seen or played since then, either Gibson or Epiphone. Like maybe it was built on a Friday?

It had the binding, it had the nice burst, it definitely had a carve, but more of a hump than an arch, looking at it from the butt end. Was there a run of LPs, or a time range, where the carved maple tops were not as deep as they should have been?

Just curious. Thanks!

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

50s carved top LPs had a deep carve that was dished as it approached the binding. Later, that dish was not so pronounced, but I don't know if that started in '68, or happened later than that, like perhaps the Norlin era. I've never encountered a carved top LP that didn't have at least 'some' dish and don't know of a time period where the dish was eliminated in favor of a continuous radius.

Others will have better info than me.

Thoughtfree likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I remember seeing LPs like that right around the time I started playing in 1979 - so at least 1979/80/81 on the typical Standards, Deluxes, and Customs. It might have started a year or two before that. But in 1980 they started the LP Heritage models that did have the dished top carve, and once those models were dropped it seems like they were back to the dished top carve; that might have been by 1982?

Sorry I can't be more precise; it's just been too many years.:oops:

Thoughtfree likes this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup - '76 Norlin LPC has a barely discernible carve.
    - shrug -

Thoughtfree likes this.
  5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The 70s ones vary a bit but yes, a 'dome' top with no recurve is typical of the late 70s.

When I refinished my old Deluxe I actually got my violin makers plane out and deepened the dish on it, looked a lot better with a bit more depth to it.

Thoughtfree likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.