1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Late 60's Fender Super Reverb, Urgent Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gridlock, Sep 5, 2015.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Since when are Groove Tubes junk ? ? They test and relable what ever tubes they can get always have. Older GTs can be USA or western European made stuff you'd pay big money for today. New stuff is out of the same three factorys still going in the world just like everyone else's tubes today. You just pay for the service.
    Doesn't mean they're junk though.

On an amp that age you might have RCAs, Sylvania or Mullard under that orange lable.

2. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I think the last thing I would worry about are the blue vs. the orange caps.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup, I've found RCA and Sylvania GT-labeled in my SFs. Be careful what you toss out! You can often see the USA stencil in faint white lettering on the glass.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree....the magical GT silkscreening can obscure a good tube.
    Then again.....a tube that started its life being a great tube can also be one sad, worn-out piece of trash, correct?

5. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Did not toss the GT's. I'll have to check where made. I always thought that GT's were standard newer Fender issued tubes. Closer look needed.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I thought the same as you, until I saw the USA stenciling, and the RCA logo.

7. gridlock

:)

8. gridlock

Got the SR cleaned up and off to the tech this weekend.

Attached Files:

9. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful...great amps!

10. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Wow I'm late to the party. Killer amp Grid I have a 68 myself. These amps are fantastic. Whatever the circuit you are getting a great amp. Mine has been restored and I absolutely love it. Make sure your tech isn't a hack who uses old TV parts which I found isn't that uncommon.

11. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

What you have there is the mid-68 AB568 circuit, which is the dreaded early SF circuit. Easily changed to AB763, so don't walk on it. The later SF circuits are second best to AB763, but if you're going to truly "blackface" the amp starting with that particulalr circuit will get you closest, all other things like transformers, speakers, etc. considered. My '68 SFSR is May '68 production and probably one of the last of the AB763s made, blue moldeds, etc. I've had it for 42 years and every time I dig it out & play it I wonder why I have any other amps.

12. gridlock

Thanks good info. Definitely going to BF this amp. This amp is an early 1969'with 1968 transformers.

13. gridlock

Needie, looks like we are on the same page again. Great minds think alike.

14. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Haha no doubt. So let's see, a BF PR, a 68 SR, and a Bluesbreaker. Oh yeah and a Deluxe RI. What else do you have?

15. gridlock

I returned the Blusebreaker. Just more amp than I currenly need. Also the store cut the grill, tolex, and white piping when unboxing and I would have to put more money into it than they discounted it to get it back in good cosmetic condition. The search is still on for my small Marshall combo want.

Tested a Friedman Dirty Shirley amp at the NY GC yesterday and was impressed.

16. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I've been searching for years. I was thinking a Bluesbreaker was the one and was going to get one. Maybe I will rethink that. Although the 1974x is a killer sound, it's in the low wattage realm of things and I need around 50 watts for a stage amp. Maybe the 1984x is the way to go.

17. gridlock

See my signature, it's up to date.

18. gridlock

A Bluesbreaker at 30 watts may work for you. 70 lbs and almost 3' wide.

19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, could be named the "Backbreaker"! :p

I understand the love for Super Reverbs. I had a 1979 but just couldn't justify the upkeep for an amp I couldn't safely move around without scheduling a chiropractor appointment. I was glad to see someone else enjoy that amp. Sure would be nice to have a roadie!

20. gridlock

The 1962hw was probably the best sounding Marshall that I've owned and I've owned many since the late 70's.

FYI, I currently own three good Marshall JTM style pedals, a Wampler Plexi Drive, a Cataline DLS, and a Menatone WMB. The Super Reverb with these pedals can get pretty convincing Marshall tones and may hold off my GAS search for another Marshall BB style combo for a few months.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.