Last year of high school? May as well build another ;)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by limoooooooo, May 9, 2013.

1. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

It's been a bit of a slow week. But there's no complaints there, I went to Auckland for 5 days for a concert! My teachers were worried about me going away 2 weeks before practice exams, but I actually missed out on nothing. In fact, I'm still relatively ahead in most of my work :D

In my 2 days of school this week I still managed to get some work done. Routing for the mini humbucker went really well. I learnt my lesson from the neck pickup alright!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was just about to set up the drill press to hog out the control cavity, and then I found out I was actually 5 minutes late to an assembly :lol: . I should be able to get a lot done next week though. Get the cavity routed, drill/mount the electrosocket jack and drill wiring access. Then I can make the pickguard and I'm ready to sand and finish the body :D

2. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Hogged out the control cavity

[​IMG]

And routed. Turns out even the routers maximum depth capacity wasn't enough to get rid of the drilling marks entirely. I think my body is 2-3mm thicker than normal, so I drilled deeper not realising the router can't go that deep :lol:

[​IMG]

Wiring access. Hard to see, but juuust in the bottom corner!

[​IMG]

Drilled the jack hole. After spending a few minutes messing around will a drill press, I realised the horizontal borer would be a lot easier... I also sanded a slight flat spot on the disc sander.

[​IMG]

Another wiring access

[​IMG]

And finally, ready to make the pickguard! This picture was taken on my new phone, having just turned 18 :eek: . So your eyes will now be blessed with marginally less crappy photos from now on :lol:

[​IMG]

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Looks good! And happy birthday!

4. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

5. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Pickguard time! I needed to make a template first.

First mounted the neck pickup onto a sheet of MDF. I found a drill bit just the right size, drilled 2 holes, and joined them together. I did a few practices to get the right drilling distance and bit size. A 15mm bit was just about perfect :p

[​IMG]

Drilled screw holes for the pickup, and very roughly cut out the shape. From there I refined each curve one at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just about ready to make the real pickguard, but first I need to route the neck pocket shape. I'll use a bottom bearing bit in the router the get that perfect, and then I'll get the control locations drilled so I can test fit everything.

At the moment I'm on practice exam leave, but on Thursday I should be going in for a full day to work on the guitar! I'm sick at the moment, so hopefully that clears up by then. Assuming I do make it in, I should be able to finish the pickguard and after that I'll be sanding/finishing/wiring/assembling :D

6. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Happy birthday Liam!!! The guitar looks great. Love the design!

7. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks, B! How's your Challenge guitar holding up? Hopefully in a couple of years time I'll actually have the time and resources to finally compete :p

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I don't even play her.. I'm a little scared to.. It's already got belt rash on the back of it.. I don't really care, I can always refinish it, I've just got a lot of other guitars I can trash. I hope you can join in the future, it's tonnes of fun! I'll be looking forward to it!

9. RALYT

RALYT TDPRI Member

Hey Liam, I just finished reading through your whole build so far, looks absolutly amazing man! was so in love with the design from the get go, but tosee it come to shape is just wow!! :D Im currently building my first guitar, would love you to check it out and maybe even help me out in a couple of spots? http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/428302-custom-jazzmaster-build-first.html
    Love your work dude! Good luck! :D

10. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Just typed up a new post and accidentally closed it :rolleyes:

Here's the jist of it: Went to spend the whole day at school to work on the guitar. Ended up spending the day talking about Breaking Bad and GTA V :lol: . Still finished the pickguard at least! Just needs some touch ups around the neck pocket.

[​IMG]

Did a wee mockup!

[​IMG]

One week left till the holidays. Hopefully I can get the body ready for finish before then, so I can do the Tru Oiling at home :p

11. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Makes sense, it's the kinda guitar you want to have for the rest of your life!

Thanks, yeah I'll have a geeze! :p

12. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Man it's been ages! The last 2 weeks have been school holidays, and we haven't had many opportunities to go in to do work. But here's what I have managed!

Installed the nut, so it fits tightly. The height won't be cut till final assembly.

[​IMG]

I finally installed the tuners. I pressed the bushings in using a vice. I couldn't find any drill bits that were small enough for the tiny screws so I cut the head off a nail. Perfect :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled for the electrosocket screws and put everything together. I couldn't resist putting a string on either ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've just started sanding for finish, so hopefully I'll have a couple of coats of Tru Oil on by the end of next week. Then I can get this bugger finished :D

13. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

That is frigging brilliant. Great stuff, dude, this looks sensational!

14. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks Phil, can't wait to have the finished product in my hands! I might have to sell of some guitars to make room for it :lol: Although the money from that would probably go towards buying more guitars...

15. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Got a couple of coats of Tru Oil on! Hopefully after another rub back with steel wool I'll be ready to make this thing work :cool:

[​IMG]

16. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

So, it's good news and bad news :lol:

Good:

The body is finished and I got to play my guitar for the first time :D

Bad:

A couple of saddles on my Hipshot bridge are faulty so the action on the A and G is beyond low. The screws just slip right out of the thread. I may have also screwed up the nut but it seems like it won't cause any major issues for now...

Finished body! 2 coats of Tru Oil.

[​IMG]

Bad saddles. I've got a little bit of MDF under the faulty ones as a temporary measure. The action on the others is set pretty high whilst I get everything narrowed down. I've taken the bridge off my Strat, and hopefully it'll drop right in so I can get this thing playing whilst I wait for a (hopefully) free replacement from StewMac.

[​IMG]

At least it looks finished :rolleyes: It was pretty sweet getting to play it, even with the current crappy set up. The neck is super comfortable, and the body shape seems to sit quite well when sitting. It's a strange feeling playing something you've worked this many months for, it's too surreal to actually be happy! Or maybe that was the down buzz caused by the bad bridge :rolleyes: There was definitely some Weezer being played though

[​IMG]

17. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

I want one...or five...beautiful.

18. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks a lot! I wouldn't mind five either :lol:

19. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

Nice build Liam, well done!

20. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Good job! Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.