Last year of high school? May as well build another ;)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by limoooooooo, May 9, 2013.

1. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Didn't feel like sanding today... so I thought I'd work on the neck pocket instead ;)

Screwed one side wall done, put the neck in place with another, and put a clamp across to get everything tightly in place. I reclamped/screwed in a few places to make sure the entire length of the template was tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fit is super tight... too tight, I was still a few mill off being able to get it in the template! Which coincidentally is about 5/8" thick. I'll route a test pocket first to double check, but otherwise I'll probably sand it to a slightly looser fit. The corners of the neck are sanded slightly wrong, so this may give me a chance to improve that too :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

You'll probably be fine if you lightly sand the template, just to accomidate for finish, but as is, it would probably end up with a route that would fit the unfinished neck.

3. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Well, the necks already finished! I'll route a test pocket in some scrap before modifying the template, hopefully it should be fine as is :p

4. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Sorry, forgot you Tru-oiled it!

5. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Neck pocket time! Did a test first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice tight fit, the corners aren't perfect but, hey, I'm happy ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a guitar!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

Needs some tidying up around here

[​IMG]

Small chip out. I'll probably just use some wood filler or sanding dust/wood glue mix, too insignificant to bother with anything more aesthetically pleasing!

[​IMG]

Liking these woods together :D

[​IMG]

Forgot to order the neck plate/screws from SM, so I ordered them locally and they came today! So on Thursday I'll get everything mounted solidly. My order from SM with be coming on Saturday. I reckon I could have this done in a months times, praying everything goes smoothly!

6. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Mounted the neck yesterday! But for some reason I only took 2 photos :lol:

Drilled 5mm holes in the neck pocket, positions marked off the neck plate. Then I mounted the neck and clamped it in place.

[​IMG]

Then I used a hand drilled 3mm mounting holes into the neck itself, whilst clamped in the pocket. Screwed the neck on. Wax sure makes things easy :p . Got someone to take a photo of me with the guitar, they didn't seem to know how to take a picture in focus... But as you can see, it sure damn looks like a guitar!

[​IMG]

Today I did some sanding. Got all the paper off, sanded out the burn, and transitioned the round over into the neck pocket area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some spalting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forearm cutaway time! Tried with a rasp first. Kinda slow going.

[​IMG]

So I got this out. It made pretty short work of it, maybe 5 or 10 minutes :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the rest of the parts bar pickups will arrive, so I can start installing hardware, etc, and route cavities next week. But first I'll probably do a belly cut!

7. Xomilin

Xomilin TDPRI Member

..... are there no safety codes regarding clothing in the work areas at your school?

8. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Are you talking about my clothing or the people in the background?

Everyone but Year 13's (my year) wear uniform which is a polo/button up shirt, shorts/skirt, long socks and leather shoes. There's safety equipment (glasses/earmuffs/masks/etc) for when you're using equipment that requires it. When you first take a tech class they go through the safety procedures (which includes clothing), but there will always be people that don't follow the rules and the teachers can't be everywhere at once ;)

The school hasn't had a major accident as long as the current head of department has been around, which is at least the 5 years I've been a student. And I think that's pretty damn good considering the number of idiots you get through here! Although, someone did get a couple of stitches after putting a chisel through their finger (but that can happen to the best of us, right Bentley? :lol: )

9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I was just thinking the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

Guitars looking good. The neck matches that wood really great. Is anyone in your class doing anything near as cool as a guitar in shop? I did a guitar neck for my project (had two mandatory ones) but I spent most of my time helping other people. I really should switch into woodshop next year, I took a bunch of grade 12 courses (year 13), and I'm in grade 11(year 12), so one of those could wait, in the name of wood!

10. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

limoooooooo - Guitar is looking great. Nice job on the contours.

11. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks! Most people are building coffee tables/TV cabinets/desks, no-one every really does something that left field... Although one of my friends is doing a TV cabinet out of maccassar ebony, narra, and what looks to be some sort of walnut or mahogany. His parents used to live in Papa New Guinea so his dad's got a pretty enviable stash :eek:

Thanks :p Even just the forearm carve makes a pretty huge difference in how the body feels to hold, looking forward to what a belly cut will do for it!

12. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Looking good Limoooo, Nice work on the carving and sanding, coming up real good! I'm liking the cool shape, can really start to see it now with the sanding.

13. Xomilin

Xomilin TDPRI Member

Ahh, well the guy in the background with the long sleeve button-up looks like he should roll up his sleeves and tuck in his shirt. and word to the wise - Never become to complacent try and be safe. :D

14. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Figured it might be him! Some people are just too "cool" to do that :rolleyes:

15. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Chur! Totally agree, funny how something that simple makes all the difference!

16. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

A nice package from StewMac arrived in the weekend... among other things, this was included. Seriously impressed with Hipshot's build quality, light years above what I have on my Strat copy :lol: . Got some good heft to it considering how low profile it is!

[​IMG]

But back to business... belly cut time! Used the same technique as last time. Sketch some lines. Get rid of all the crap that shouldn't be there. Simple!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall profile created by the two carves. Not quite into Strat territory, but just enough to take the edge off things where it counts :cool:

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll be installing the bridge, I guess. String through holes should be interesting, but using the pin technique everything should go smoothly!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Haven't posted in ages! Been an interesting couple of weeks, to say the least...

Installed the bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that didn't work... I think I'll just live with it. If I have time I might to a tone bar. We'll see how I go for time :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hogged out pretty badly...

[​IMG]

Never gonna use a StewMac template again :rolleyes: . It worked fine last year, but this time I couldn't get away with it and the bit slipped. Luckily all will be hidden by the pickguard. I made another template out of 18mm MDF and cleaned it up as well as I could. I probably could just do a swimming pool style route a lot tidier... ain't hindsight a great thing ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini humbucker template. Still some tidying up to do.

[​IMG]

Done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hogged out much better. The neck pickup was pretty challenging to route, and I realised it's because I didn't hog it out anywhere near enough.

[​IMG]

I had a reliever so I couldn't use anything dangerous like a router. Decided to mock up the pickguard and control layout. I should get it all to fit! Once the bridge pickup is routed, I can make the pickguard, route/drill for electronics, and then I think I'm ready for finishing :D

[​IMG]

18. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Nice pickguard shape! I had the same problem way back with a StewMac template, my router just ate it up.. my fault really. That was it for me, made every template myself since.

Re: drilling straight holes.. it is the nemesis of guitar building (well for me anyways). The different densities of wood due to the grain just pull that drill bit wherever, super frustrating. I drill by template only now by drilling one hole right through and using it as an index hole. After flipping body over you can then template off that index hole (as you did on the top side). It works real well and you get bang on hole spacing. Nice paua on the knobs too!

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Very nice looking build. I built my second when I was a senior, too.

The body shape is nice, especially the lower cutaway. It's reminiscent of my current build (thread here). I'll keep an eye on this to see how it turns out.

20. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Yep, looks like template drilling will be the way to go from now on! I thought the pin method would be enough, but obviously not :lol:

Wow, they're pretty similar! Although by the looks of it the finished products will be quite different! I was going for "What if Gibson, Fender and Danelectro collabed on a guitar?" :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.