Last year of high school? May as well build another ;)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by limoooooooo, May 9, 2013.

1. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Hopefully once I've finished high school it won't take too long to get back on my feet again. I think I might be asking for some tools for Christmas :lol:

2. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Nice! Getting some slight Sting Ray vibes there :)

3. twick

twick Tele-Meister

Actually, it was a les Paul jr. Double cut that lost its lower horn in a tragic CNC accident.

4. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

That's funny. Way to move on.

5. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Brilliant :lol:

6. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Update time :D

Put some small nails in to align the fretboard when gluing

[​IMG]

Cut out some pieces to fit around the nails

[​IMG]

Got another long piece to put over top of that. I dry clamped it and marked where I wanted the clamps to go.

[​IMG]

The next bit was pretty frantic. Here's the outcome :p The was relatively even squeeze out around all sides. I cleaned off as much as I could with a damp rag.

[​IMG]

While that dried I got some more work done on the body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a nice clean cut with virtually no burn. The less sanding the better :lol:

[​IMG]

After about an hour I unclamped the neck (the Titebond bottle said to unclamp after 30 minutes so it should be sufficient time). Everything looks fine, hopefully it stays that way!

[​IMG]

7. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Took the neck out today!

[​IMG]

Cut off the excess. I'm gonna fill the extra fret slot with some veneer. It'll be a nice unintended feature :lol:

[​IMG]

Marked off some of the excess headstock material

[​IMG]

I used the extension against the bandsaw fence. Because it flexed as I cut, it didn't end up perfectly straight but it doesn't matter. The offcut will also be used for my headstock ears :p

[​IMG]

Routed the neck to the taper of the fretboard

[​IMG]

It came out a bit wobbly, but it doesn't matter since all that will be carved away. The other place that needs nice straight sides is around the heel, which will be sanded to shape anyway. There was no way I was gonna route that since only be 1/4 of the base would actually be steady!

[​IMG]

(Bad photo alert)

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll have another update in a few hours! My school has open night tonight, which means I get to come in and do a couple of hours work and impress a few year 8's and their parents :cool: Maybe impress them enough that they decide they want to build a guitar one day, and that it's not as ludicrous as it may seem :D

8. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Lots of progress in the last 2 hours! Yay :D

First I trimmed the neck close to the taper and the headstock end

[​IMG]

I sanded it down flush with a random orbital sander

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimmed more excess at the back of the headstock. What's left I'll deal with during neck carving. I should be able to get some kinda volute outta that...

[​IMG]

I measured half an inch out from the 21st fret and sanded it down. I also rounded the corners. They were touched up by hand afterwards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to radius the fretboard! I'm going with 12", using a block from StewMac. Here's the jig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I started sanding, the neck wedged further into the side pieces, which meant my stop at the end was pointless. I put a bit of scrap in the gap to stops things sliding around. Easy :p

[​IMG]

My current progress with 80 grit

[​IMG]

Pretty glad with all the worked I got done today, considering this morning the neck has just come out of the clamps :D I'm so much more comfortable and confident in the workshop this year, which is making a huge difference with the pace I'm moving at. Maybe I'll be finished even sooner than last year!

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

That fretboard and those inlays are a really nice looking combination!

10. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks! Paua dots seem to go with everything :D

More progress! Got it sanded up to 280 today. I'm probably gonna go up to somewhere around 1000-2000. The board will ust get some lemon oil or something (no hard finish) so I wanna leave it ultra smooth :p

[​IMG]

11. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Finished radius sanding today! Went up to 2000 grit. Shiiiiiny :cool:

[​IMG]

Next I'm gonna deepen my fret slots with this. Definitely worth the money!

[​IMG]

The 12" radius didn't take much out, so I'm not even sure if many of the slots need to be any deeper! I still decided a test was in order, using some scrap mahogany. I did okay, since the slots already exist I shouldn't have to worry about the blade slipping out of place. I also installed a bit of fret and gave my fret dressing file a test. Pretty happy with the results :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So tomorrow all the slots should be ready, and maybe I'll even get a fret or two in!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Oh gosh, I'm so glad my school's woodshop is so equipped. No offence, it's just that having to sand that radius must suck... I just run my FBs through a shaper/moulder with a 12" radius cutter. :cool:

13. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Sounds like your school could start a guitar factory if they wanted ;) Sanding the radius itself wasn't that bad, sanding through all the way through to 2000 was more painful :lol:

14. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Well Kinda is.. Except it's for amateurs and you build your own guitar and most of the guitars are really ugly... :lol: Did you have any troubles keeping it flat?

15. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Not really, it's easy to see how even you're sanding. If one bit was close to done, I'd leave it till everything else was at the same stage. Once you get to the higher grits, they don't even take enough off to worry about it!

16. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Deepened the fret slots! I used the radiusing jig to hold the neck in place.

[​IMG]

I used the wee safe bit at the back end of the saw to index the saw in the existing slots. It made it easy to get the saw in place without scratching up my shiny fretboard :cool:

[​IMG]

Next up was fretting! To bend the fret wire I used a technique I read somewhere here. I notched a piece of wood, and ran the wire through like you would to curl a ribbon. It worked alright, the bend was consistent enough to press the frets in :p

[​IMG]

So I cut the frets to length and labelled them

[​IMG]

The fret press set up, using the StewMac fret press cauls. Beware that the set screw is extremely small and easy to lose. Luckily I found it before the juniors stormed the workshop :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The first fret in :D

[​IMG]

More frets! I tapped one end in with a plastic faced hammer, then pressed the rest in. A few frets needed a bit more persuasion with the hammer and a second press, but overall it went like a dream. Gotta say I find pressing frets more relaxing than hammering, compared to last years ngihtmare :lol:

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

I've got a 4 day weekend, so next week I'll trim the frets down a bit and glue the ends. I'm thinking about use my 9.5" radius block as a clamping caul (the board is 12") so only the ends are pressed. Once the ends are safe to touch I'll sort out the headstock shape, then I can carve the neck :cool:

17. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Glued the fret ends today. I clamped them down with a 9.5" radius block, so it would only press the ends of the 12" board.

[​IMG]

Dropped some CA in. Turned out that can be pretty challenging when someone leaves the glue lying on it's side and the lid is stuck on :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

I also glued some veneer in the extra fret slot and sorted out the headstock ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the end of the week the fret ends should be flush, headstock shape cut, and I'll be ready to start neck carving :D

18. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Shaping up great! Those woods look fantastic.

19. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Thanks, can't wait to get a finish on them :p Nice work on your Tele too!

20. limoooooooo

limoooooooo Tele-Meister

Progress from the last couple of days!

Trimmed the veneer flush. Doesn't look as good as I planned, and the glue has soaked visibly around the join. Oh well :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Rough cut the headstock shape

[​IMG]

After that I made the ears flush on the face. By doing that after rough cutting the shape, there was less material to remove. I used a chisel, and a sanding block for the last little bit.

[​IMG]

Trimmed the fret ends down. I use a small pair of nippers that are practically the same as StewMac's fret pulling ones. They're really small, weak, and not ideal to cut fretwire. It took about and hour to get all the frets cut :lol:

[​IMG]

I had one mishap where I twisted the pliers a bit and this happened :oops: . Strangely, the fret is still very stable. It's seems that only a tiny bit of tang is actually twisted badly, the rest is pretty normal. I might try leave it for now and see if it stays stable. Since the board will be unfinished I can replace that fret relatively easily even after the guitar is finished. I don't rush into it now since pulling the fret will probably damage the fretboard even more.

I might try pack some wood dust in their and drip some more CA in. Any advice? :?: Next time I think I'll be a cheap pear of pliers and grind them flush :lol:

[​IMG]

Anyway, after that I filed them completely flush. I'll do the all bevelling, end shaping, etc, when I level and crown them.

[​IMG]

Finally, I spray adhered the template to the now flat headstock and began to cut closer to the line. After that I think I'll hand sand/file to the line. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow :p

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.