1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Last Piece of Gear You SOLD?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Jul 21, 2018.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

A piggyback on Cat's thread about buying gear...

I know that for myself, I'm better at buying and accumulating stuff than I am at selling it.

The last thing I sold was a Butterscotch Blonde FSR MIM Tele that I had upgraded the pickups on.

I wasn't planning on selling it, but I had a friend who needed it more than I did.

I did ask him to give me first right of refusal if he ever decides to sell it.

LGOberean and RyCo1983 like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I sold an acoustic guitar I was told I didn’t need.

4 weeks later guess what I had to buy.

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sold a PRS 594. I loved how it played and sounded. It was gonna be a lifetime guitar. But I play seated almost 100% of the time, with the guitar on my right leg, and with the location of the leg cut on this guitar (really far to the left, toward the neck) I couldn't play it comfortably. I had to really twist around to get to the upper frets and even finding a good picking position was tough - I'd always find my pick hitting the neck pickup. I'd find myself putting this guitar back and grabbing something else after 10-15 minutes because I'd get fatigued and sometimes get a sore back. Had never happened to me with another guitar before and it wouldn't have been an issue when I was a kid and played standing most of the time (and was skinny as a rail, so I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much when I did play seated). Fortunately I bought it used so even selling it quickly I didn't take much of a hit on it, so it was a real mixed emotions kind of thing. I needed to let it go but I would have loved to have had that one for the rest of my life. Oh well, I like the Ibanez Scofield model I got to replace it about 95% as much and I can play it as long as I want, so in that sense I like it 200% more...

-Ray

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

In the last year I've sold or swapped out:
    - my CP60s strat
    - my 2011 60th anniversary tele
    - my Super Champ X2
    - my Epiphone Broadway

All of the sold items were sold patiently, very well, and got replaced by quality gear I needed more (AVRI 52 tele, Loar LH-700, original DeArmond pickup, Mojotone clone of a 5F1, Mojotone Tremolux cab, smaller gear like pedals, pedalboard, etc).

I am now considering selling a few loose bits and pieces, and probably swapping my American Standard strat for a Vintage spec’d strat (AVRI or Mexican classic plus some money).

I’ve set myself the rule that anything I don’t use (and do not plan to use in the future) will have to go, and that gear that is no longer to my tastes must be replaced. I don’t want to become a “collector”, although eventually I might accept having a couple of teles in excess around the house just because…

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez RG 7421 and Squier Affinity

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

2 months ago, I bought an Epiphone LP Tribute Plus that came with a VOX VT20+ amp, all for less than the price of the pups in the LP. I brought the VT20+ to the summer cottage, because I had found a buyer there. I alreday had a VOX AD30VT there and after playing both amps side by side, I decided I should keep the more recent one. So, I convinced the buyer that the AD30VT was better for what he needed.

By then, the Tribute Plus ended up costing me roughly 50% of the price of the bridge pickup, a Gibson USA '57 Classic Plus.

JayFreddy and Kriticaster like this.
  7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

My old Boss PS-2 delay / pitch shifter and Coron flanger — unused for 20 years I think! I just use my AC15C1 and my Zoom MS-100BT now, and very rarely any delay effects. So far I haven’t missed them...
    86C0C1BF-14FD-4D0D-8056-838E110D0FE4.jpeg B7CDC473-0A23-4938-88FA-4B8D08AD1388.jpeg
    ...as you can see the flanger is a relic of the old days when creating a preset was done by scratching little arrows in the paint where I wanted to set the knobs..!

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I sold a Fender Blues Jr. as I thought it did not have enough of a "mellow" tone.
    Bought a Blackface 65 PRRI- and I love it.

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A solid body electric soprano ukulele
    Two sopranino ukuleles

I just need to get down to one soprano, two concerts and a tenor and I'll have a happier wifey.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. xland

xland Tele-Meister

The last piece of gear I remember selling was a Vox AC4C1-12. It was a good amp but it didn't take over my Fender Bassbreaker as my favorite to play through. I sold it hoping it would find a good home with someone who would use it more than I was.

JayFreddy likes this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

My Tubescreamer was probably the last thing I let go of. It just didn't sound good at low amp volumes, it needs to blend with amp distortion, and that's not an option for me usually as a compartment dweller.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

5f2a head

JayFreddy likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    With a semi functional Roland Guitar Synth.

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

MIM Strat I think.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Boss OC-2 octave pedal, somewhere around 1989-90

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez Jet King JTK40.

:oops:

spark on ibanez.png

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

A diddly bow with a jagermeister bottle bridge that I built.

It was the cousin of the one on the right in this picture, just about the same in color and parts except it didn't have the big knothole notch on the side of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.
  18. Whiskerz

Whiskerz TDPRI Member

3 sets of pickups to the same guy. David Allen Stratcat set, S3 Strat set and a Duncan Pegasus and Sentient (not sure why I even bought these last ones).

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sold an extremely heavy 54 reiisue Gibson Les Paul Custom, with factory Bigsby.
    The weight, and my inability to keep it in tune were the deal breakers.
    I bought an almost as heavy tri-burst 1968 reissue Les Paul Custom.
    I made $200 on the deal, a rarity for me!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.
  20. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Sold the Fender MIJ Power Jazz Special Bass at the beginning of the year. I mentioned to our bassist a couple of years ago that I was minded to sell it, and he made me a fair offer so it is now his. I still have the other two basses in the photo, but most of the time I use a solid bodied ukulele bass whenever I need a bit of bottom end.

upload_2018-7-21_13-38-0.jpeg

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.