last physical book and music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Jun 11, 2019.

1. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I buy CDs and books all the time. I'll only download when I want something that isn't available in physical format. Recently I have been enjoying books on CD -- nice to have a good novel read to me by a pro.

And I still play my old vinyl, which goes back to around 1958.

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

We will shortly be going on holiday for a couple of weeks, and again for a week or so in August, so I bought a few books.

upload_2019-6-12_9-50-34.png

The first three are for my wife, whilst Ronnie, the Diana Henry cook book and The Underground Railway are for me. I also bought second hand all eleven books in C.P. Snow's Strangers and Brothers series, which will keep me going for a year or two.

We don't have TV or even phone signal at our holiday home, so I bought a couple of DVDs of old TV series,

upload_2019-6-12_9-55-30.png

I've also downloaded the second series of Killing Eve from the BBC iPlayer, and will take along a series of Columbo (we bought the complete series 1-10 on DVD many years ago).

On CD, I'm replacing one or two albums which went missing courtesy of a sometimes messy divorce, and yes they came from Amazon, and as well as the physical copy I did download them too.

upload_2019-6-12_9-59-13.png

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  3. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I take a dim view of replacing simple technology that's worked just fine for centuries (like paper books) with more complicated technologies that have no perceivable advantage. E-books are awful.

I like streaming, but it's a system that massively screws the artists. I try to buy CDs and vinyl of the music I really like, especially if the bands aren't intergalactically famous.

Last paper book bought: Massive Pissed Love by Richard Hell

Last vinyl: Salad Days (soundtrack)

bromdenlong and greenhornet like this.
  4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Book: The Great War and the Search for a Modern Order; A History of the American People and Their Institutions, 1917-1933 by Ellis W. Hawley

Music: Sadly, I don't recall but I've been binge watching Treme on Amazon Plus these days.

5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Giles Tremlett - Ghosts of Spain. Not read a word of it yet but basically about the history of modern Spain from the civil war onwards.

Scott Walker - Sings Jacques Brel. Not played this yet but it's not exactly 21st century.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The tracks on 'Sings...' are taken from his 60s albums Scott 1, 2 and 3. Little Things is an original Walker composition. 'Next' was pinched by Alex Harvey on his eponymous album of course.

It's a bit dark in places. Hope you like it. :)

7. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Book: The Wild Bunch: Sam Peckinpah, a Revolution in Hollywood, and the Making of a Legendary Film, by WK Stratton.

LP: Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins.

greenhornet likes this.
  8. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I can appreciate that, but Bruce Peter's - "The Story of the Kappel Propeller", would be more my sort of book.

Book - "Kraken" - China Miéville

C.D. - ... I'm not sure what it is... bought it from some young Estonian musician who was hawking it in the super-market car-park last week...I think it's some sort of melodic-metal guff. I may even get around to listening to it one rainy afternoon.

Last chosen C.D. - Howlin Wolf - The London Sessions Deluxe Edition

L.P - Bobby Bland - can't remember the titles off hand, but it was the five or so albums that have up to now never been released on C.D, but were needed to complete my Bland collection.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I don't buy a lot of anything these days, unless it's some cheap little piece of gear for recording.

I DO still love CDs, DVD/Blu-Rays, and books, of course, but I lost all mine twice and I just don't care to have a lot of possessions anymore.

I also used to have a ton of vinyl (and cassettes) but they are all gone, along with the equipment needed to play them.

I did recently pick up a couple of CDs just in the past several days, and they were probably the first physical music I've bought in well over a year.

I picked up Lou Reed's Metal machine Music just because I found it in pristine shape for $2 at a used CD/DVD store I wandered into, and I scored a CD called "Star City" by a now-defunct instrumental band called Pell Mell because I couldn't find mp3s of it anywhere and I used to jam it a lot.

I plan to buy the new Mermen album but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I do burn a lot of mix CD-Rs for friends and for my car.

I bought a replacement DVD of the movie Interstellar not long back because I loaned out a previous copy that I never got back.

A couple years ago I bought a book on Eerie Publications horror comics of the 60s-early 70s since I lost all my actual Eerie horror comics in a flood.

I get most of my books and movies (if I can't find them on Netflix, etc.) from the library and just borrow them.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I've had the first few tracks on in the car ( probably not doing it justice admittedly). It's a joyfully eccentric thing, I love Scott's voice but his musical choices can get a bit out there at times so this is more song based.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have this
    [​IMG]
    ...and this
    [​IMG]

12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I do read books. Always have one book going on. When I finish it I just get another. It doesn't mean I read every day but I try.

This is the one I have on my table now

[​IMG]

Regarding to music, I don't buy CDs or music any more. Only at gigs and mostly local bands. Last one is a bluesman from New Jersey that lives in Madrid, Spain. I bought it to him at a gig in a small bar where I had a gig the followin weeekend

http://www.smilingjacksmith.com/

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs and JL_LI like this.
  13. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Love these, and they are an awesome part of my youth, but these (and Vampirella and some others) were produced by Warren Publishing.

Eerie Publications was a different beast. At once more low-rent and gory:

Terr0473.jpg weird978.jpg 61gUIgCXIBL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

blowtorch likes this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's some great read(ing) action!

My current bookmark-holder is Way Up North in Dixie, an interesting account of the Snowden family of black musicians in antebellum Ohio.

Oh, and when I put together my humble turntable system a couple months ago, I came up missing a boxful of my favorite records. I found them the other day. Beatles, Dead, Simon and Garfunkel, Kate Wolf, Jefferson Airplane. . . .

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I must confess, though once a voracious reader, I haven't read a book in years. I certainly haven't bought one, and I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. My son gave me a historical figure book several years back to read. I keep telling him when he asks if I've read it yet, I say, no but I plan to. He quit asking two or three years ago.

I don't know what happened exactly, but I just start on a book, read a few pages, and abandon it. I think for the most part, I finally realized all published matter, including the drivel we post here has an agenda whether it's apparent of not. Novels are the worst, we get sucked into reading a bunch of opinions owned by the author disguised as fact, and before you know it when someone hands us a horse apple, it might as well be the real thing, we chomp right into it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I am a voracious reader. I love to study history and my favorite period, WWII. My last two book purchases were a set, The Second World War in six volumes by Winston Churchill, and A Wing And A Prayer by Harry H. Crosby, group bombardier of the 100th Bomb Group of the Eight Air Force. That last one was a re-buy and re-read. I usually re-read that book every two or three years and had worn out my paperback so I bought a new hardback and passed the paperback on to a friend.

I still buy on CD if I really care about the material. I like to read the liner notes and the quality is higher than standard transfer 128k mp3 files. My latest is Wishbone Ash's Roadworks 5: Live in Sacramento. I picked this one up at Wishbone Ash's concert stop in Richmond, VA last month.

Bob

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I really liked the Albright book.
    I borrow real books from the public library (one of the greatest institutions in the modern world)

JL_LI likes this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as I suspected, you are all surprising and remarkable people, and physical media appear to give free rein to all kinds of interesting eccentricities

carry on

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

TD, I went through a twelve-year dry spell for exactly the same reason, with the added irritation that no one I came across could write a sentence that managed to rise above the literal

then I re-discovered the incredibly un-PC writer Barry Hannah RIP, whose short stories and sentences are just bursting at the seams with psychedelic mordant humor

at least he made me believe in fiction again

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh well yeah, it's possible to believe in fiction, it's just facts that are no longer believable, and they may never be believable in ever again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.