Last one to the party NAD : Vox AC10 (maybe folkie gig-worthy but...)

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
If you need more botton end, I’d suggest a 2x12” inch cabinet. Makes all the difference in the world.
For a while I was playing mine through a Peavey 5150 4X12 and it sounded friggin' awesome... but that cab weighed almost 100 pounds so I got rid of it. My bandmates commented that the amp by itself sounds pretty good without the extension cab. But yeah, a larger cab will turn the AC10C1 into a monster.
18892903_10209674491875014_4743922646899124633_n.jpg

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
I believe that the AC10C1's shallow cabinet makes it difficult to mount some 10" speakers in it. Weber had put together a recipie for a "blue" sounding speaker that isn't alnico, but fits the AC10C1 without modifications.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think max speaker height/depth it will allow is 4 1/8”. Red Fang and Celestion Vintage 10 (the Campilongo speaker) and Celestion 10” Greenback are the ones most mentioned.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Greenback 10 sounds fantastic -- I have one in an Origin 20, another in a GA-15 -- but not at all an efficient speaker. Rated by Celestion at 95 dB. Red fang 10 is rated by Eminence at 102 dB with a huge honking presence peak that will make it seem even louder. Shrill? Who knows? Try one out & report back.

Weber Blue Dog / Silver Bell are also pretty efficient, in my experience, and good sounding speakers. But I haven't tried the 10 inch versions.

scooter

TDPRI Member
Stumbled on this thread researching G10 Gold speakers for my new-to-me 6G2 tuxedo Princeton. I've been gigging with an AC-10 ($200 on craigslist). The trick - as a couple other guys note above - is to use an extension cab with the AC10 instead of its internal speaker. I use a little Boogie 1x12 cab I also got on craigslist with a 16ohm blue. A/B'd our other guitarist's AC15C1 & my AC-10 through the same extension cab instead of their respective internal speakers and to my well-worn but pretty experienced ears, they sounded identical except the AC15's analog reverb sounded just a tad better than the AC10's digital, but with a band, I doubt anyone could hear that small difference. The AC10's just as loud as the AC15 through the same extension cab, too. I bought a 2nd AC10 on craigslist for $275 to use and leave at band rehearsals & that works fine with the internal 10.
DAds.jpg

tglaeser

TDPRI Member
So I bought a used/improved Excelsior from our brother milocj which will now live at my band’s practice space. I love it for that purpose. Plus, with the new 1815 in it it’s pretty heavy so I don’t wanna lug it around.

Then, literally the next day, I get an SOS call from a buddy of mine who has a sealed, in-the-box box AC10 that he says I can have for $300.

No, it’s not hot, He just bought it a year ago and kept playing his Mustang 1 and wanted to know whether he even needed the Vox before he opened it and used it. So he needed some quick cash, didn’t want to do the return, and told me to take it.

Fine, I just got rid of I an AC15 because of the reason everyone gets rid of it (unbelievably heavy) and I love the Vox thing so - yeah.

Long story short: the 10 is a great amp , but really, has anyone ever gigged one un-mic’ed ?
I gig with my AC10 regularly in bars and smallish venues. Never tried outdoor or stadium, but I really like the sound, and it would be easy to mic if needed. Changed from a Blues Junior which I really tried to like, but it was just so boxy and clock radio sounding. Surprising that the Vox sounds so much better, even with less power and smaller speaker. Wanted an AC15, but not after lifting it.

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats that's a great price on that one. Mine is strictly for home use only, so no idea about the gigging aspect.
Enjoy your new amp.