Last one to the party NAD : Vox AC10 (maybe folkie gig-worthy but...)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

So I bought a used/improved Excelsior from our brother milocj which will now live at my band’s practice space. I love it for that purpose. Plus, with the new 1815 in it it’s pretty heavy so I don’t wanna lug it around.

Then, literally the next day, I get an SOS call from a buddy of mine who has a sealed, in-the-box box AC10 that he says I can have for $300.

No, it’s not hot, He just bought it a year ago and kept playing his Mustang 1 and wanted to know whether he even needed the Vox before he opened it and used it. So he needed some quick cash, didn’t want to do the return, and told me to take it.

Fine, I just got rid of I an AC15 because of the reason everyone gets rid of it (unbelievably heavy) and I love the Vox thing so - yeah.

Long story short: the 10 is a great amp , but really, has anyone ever gigged one un-mic’ed ?

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

didn't you have a GA-15 / Velocette for a minute there? that does the AC-15 thing in a small / lightweight package and will hold its own on a pretty good-size gig. there was a GA-15RV on craigslist here for a really good price, I was tempted despite having no possible use for one. seems like maybe a better solution to the same problem.

3. Mike Eskimo

Yeah - just with the two days or so I’ve spent with the Vox , having owned a couple Velocette’s , the Velocette has waaay more headroom than the Vox. Partly has to do with the speaker with the Velo coming stock with 65 watt Vintage 10 Celestion. Its louder too if I remember correctly.

I was just curious as to the Vox’s gigability . From what I’ve heard so far , I much prefer it to the Velo as a home amp without pedals.

4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

When playing my AC4 I found the lack of headroom a bother so I lowered the wattage with a 12AT7.
    For home use it made it way more friendly, might be an option.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I can totally see the AC10 as a home amp. the GA-15/ Velocette is a bear at living room volume.

6. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Is there still such a thing as un-mic'd gigs? Dude, you need a wall of AC30s!

My solution to the AC15's weight management problem was to get a separate head. Just separating the weight so you can carry it in pieces helps a lot.

And then you don't have to drag all your speakers everywhere you go. Leave 1x12 in your practice space. Maybe a power soaking speaker at home. 2x12 cab with efficient 100dB drivers for gigs.

The head itself doesn't weigh much. It's the big box and the big magnets that give you the back strain.

7. Mike Eskimo

My question is :

Is there an ac10 owner out there who has gigged it unmic’ed ?

AC15 ? Great sounding amp but it’s almost a home amp because of how ridiculous the weight is. That gigantic MDF cab is just ludicrous.

I have no volume limits at home - at all. Just how much I want to damage my heating .

I’m a combo guy (I know...) so -extra pieces just because amp makers can’t figure out something Leo knew 60+ years ago ?

Nah...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm sure there are. How they sounded, and whether anyone in the house heard them, are separate questions.

Mike_LA and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Oh yeah – which one is V1 ?

Closest to the input?

10. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Have not gigged mine un mic'd but have played it at rehearsal un mic'd. As you can guess it doesn't have the headroom I want or need. However, my band is small (3pc + singer) and we play with dynamics so I'm able to get hairy cleans if it's during a quiet part of a song. We play covers ranging from Motown, classic rock, modern pop and "country"...all over the place really. Sometimes I just feel like bringing it to rehearsal just because.

Perhaps if you were in a situation like your op states, small room with a small band that wasn't too loud ("folkie gig-worthy"), you may be able to get by. But it's not the best amp for the job. I really like mine though, it's great for around the house. I've also gigged it mic'd up in bars and have liked my tone.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, my first reply got messed up.
    The other guitarist in our band has gone from gigging an AC15 to an AC10.....and it sounds pretty good. I usually use a Blues Junior III (15 watts, 1X12" speaker) or my Vox Pathfinder 15R (15 watts) rehoused with a 12" speaker. Even for outdoor gigs,(which are rare) we don't mic amps OR drums. We don't play SUPER loud, and I greatly prefer the "organic" and separated sound of not having everything going through a PA. It can be a little more difficult keeping everything balanced, but it's worth it, overall.
    So, YES, I think you can gig with an AC10 un-mic'd.....just not at Shea Stadium.

Richie-string and GibbyTwin like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The AC10C1 is loud. The question is the common one: how loud is the drummer and where are you gigging?

Richie-string and nojazzhere like this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Yup, this. I have gigged my AC-10 unmiked many times (once outdoors!). It all depends on your rhythm section.

nojazzhere and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty amazing how they got a little amp with a 10" speaker to sound like that. I'm actually about to head out the door with mine to rehearsal.

Richie-string likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Everything I have experienced in life amp-wise tells me the AC10 has to be louder than the Pathfinder though - right ?

I was tasked with finding one for a buddy’s son 6 or 8 years ago which I did and so that was the only time I played through one . Don’t remember it being all that loud.

Also, I got my AC10 so cheap I’d be a fool not to at least try one of the few speakers that fit for more headroom - specifically the Celestion Vintage 10 or 16 ohm Red Fang...

17. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Hi Mike Eskimo!

I really dig AC10. Great catch bro and I Salute you! Back here in Finland you’ll pay between 420-500€, that’s about 400-475$.

Never owned one, but been fiddling constantly those on guitar shops. Great tone, easy controls and maneuverability for great price. As I have AC4C1-12 as a bedroom amp, AC10 feels just like home.

I’d probably change the stock VX-10 though. FYI it’s Celestion seventy 80 relabeled. 10” gold alnico would be nice for that jangly Vox tone, but OTOH it would almost double the price, so it would be more reasonable to search alternatives beyond Celestion.

If you need more botton end, I’d suggest a 2x12” inch cabinet. Makes all the difference in the world. There are 2x12” Vox V212C cabins that are equipped with greenbacks. I think it’s a good choise. It’s about 400€ in Finland, you’ll get it brand new probably @ 350$ or so. Matches nicely with your AC10.

And yes, it’s loud enough to remove wax from the ears in the first two rows. I’ve tried it cranked to the max on a sound proof cabinet without ear plugs. Sounded great, that Vox preamp overdrive. But if you have large(ish) venue, around 50-100 people, I’d concider miking for the good people in backrow and to keep amp clean, if that’s your preference.

About weight on AC15C1 (I presume you had C1). I consantly gig with ’65 Twin RI and AC30C2x. One in other hand and another in the other. Balance is very nice. Nice workout too, forearms and beginning to look like logs of wood.

I’ve posted this before, but I’ll still post this anyways, because it’s relevant to the thread. It’s my bedroom setup, AC4C1-12 with blue alnico upgrade. And ’65 Vox AC50 ”big box” cabinet.

457EF4CE-EE9F-43FB-8E08-09B22ED7E63C.jpeg

Br, Musti

Edit: Once again, the Finnish autospell with all its glory.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    dannyh, Richie-string and Mike Eskimo like this.
  18. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

One of the local blues jams had an AC10 standing in for a BJr III that was in repair.

Unfortunately, it neither had the volume nor tone to hang with the other blues junior amp, bassist and drummer combined. Needed a 2-3db boost.

I should also state this was a bar that was about 100 pax max capacity.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

^^^Thats what makes me wonder what kinda bump a Red Fang would give it...

20. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Yes the alnico gold is very expensive but there are other celestion speakers that would be a useful upgrade at much lower cost, they do the Greenback in 10", as well as the G10 Vintage. Vox themselves recommend the G10 N40 to upgrade at a reasonable cost.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.