Last one dropped. Officially all of my jam buddies are sober.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Wtf?!! Am I supposed to be introspective about this? I mean it doesn’t matter. They still play well.
    They all insist that I drink if I prefer. But I’m a gentleman. So I decline. Plus I hate partying with quitters.

Jlwctn, SacDAve, Festofish and 5 others like this.
  2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

Wish them well and rock on.

flathd, FenderGuy53, uriah1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Drink if you want. They'll be ok. They're onto something profound and life changing.

flathd, Driver3, LutherBurger and 4 others like this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm with them. Drinking has somehow lost a lot of its appeal. I'll drink on occasion, yesterday I had a couple, but it just doesn't come to mind to really want one. I would have no problem with you picking and drinking. Last week was my birthday, my son text me saying he was gonna get wasted for my birthday. I said why? He said "because someone should". My feeling is.... been there, done that, not missing anything, but you enjoy. Ill drive you home. Unless one of them has a real problem and is in recovery, I'd say do as you please. If one of them has issues, it would be inconsiderate.

5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Make no mistake. I’m supportive. My jam buddies are my friends. Plus like I said. “Gentlemen”. Gimme that.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Do what you want. They are. There's no reason to walk on egg shells around your friends. 'Gentleman' does not really apply, unless you're temped to tease them and be a dick about it.

7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I know how you feel.

Esquire Bob, Jim622 and Toadtele like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm on the record......I drink occasionally, but NEVER when gigging. I include practice or "jamming" in that. I simply need to be in full and unconditional control when playing. None of the guys I currently play with (or at least BC19) drink at practice or a gig. No "judgement" here, but I prefer everyone's undivided, and unimpaired, focus. ;)

Jlwctn, 3-Chord-Genius and Toadtele like this.
  9. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Drinking and sobriety seems to rear its head more on this forum than any other I’ve visited. Just saying.

I don’t drink myself FTR.

10. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I drink when I feel like it, but don't when I'm jamming and never at a gig.* I was always a singer and most often the singer, and I found it screwed up my voice.

* - The truth is that I did not always follow this practice when I was in my 20s, but I paid the price, looked & sounded bad, embarrassed myself and my bandmates, and learned the lesson. I will never forget how quickly that room cleared.

haggardfan1 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I've been around a very large number of people who have chosen sobriety, for a very long stretch of time. The beginning of this process can bring up all sorts of stuff, and your choice to be supportive will make it as easy as possible for your buddies to succeed in their goal. It's a kindness. However, if any of them tell you that you're making it awkward or harder for them, believe them.

They may not all feel the same way at the same time.

So be honest with yourself and honest with them - that's the best you can do.

Most people who quit drinking don't do so because they get sick of cutting themselves on the bottlecaps. In other words, they've gotten to this point with some hard-won experience and some reason for the choice.

You sound like a good friend. Rock on.

12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

One time I realized that it had been about 6 months since I had drank anything. That was about 2008. Haven't drank since. Have no problem being around people drinking. Just, whether drinking on not, people getting out of hand.

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

People got different reasons for being sober. I'd be more inclined to drink around people who just stopped to stop than anyone who has been actively fighting to do so.
    But, aside from it being no fun to party with quitters, it's also precarious to be the only person not sober. Used to mess with my singer in one band when he was drunk after practice. Had a bass player in another who would start drinking before the rest of us showed up to gigs. He wasn't hammered, but it was fun to convince him we added whatever song he couldn't keep up with at practice to the set list.

nojazzhere and tubegeek like this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

A) Good for them

B) They're sober, not you. Have a beer.

C) I drink, but never to excess. Including at practice and gigs. One or two beers, no more.

What is this apparent purity test regarding drinking while playing? Seems silly to me.

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I quit.
    All my podnahs still drink.
    I had to quit going around for a few years. Maybe 4 or 5 years.
    I’ve been sober 9 years now.
    I can go over and jam and it doesn’t bother me to see them drink. And get knee walking drunk.
    Truth, I’d never open my mouth to say anything, but I feel sorry for them.

Jlwctn, catdaddy, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped when I was 43. I've got a group of around ten party friends from the '80s that I've stayed in touch with; most of us ended up with serious problems with alcohol, most have given it up completely now. A couple developed alcohol-related health issues, a lot of us got DUIs and reevaluated our paths in life (me included), and one friend drank himself to death back in 2011.

When we get together only two of the guys still drink and one of them stumbles around trying to get all of us sober guys to drink too. Just make sure not to be that guy.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've never seen alcohol contribute anything positive to any band's performance or to the personal relationships between members. If anything, it makes things worse.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

profound : They have no control over a liquid beverage

life-changing : their life before they took control of a liquid beverage - and their life after

Three of my band mates had problems and quit . During the lifetime of our band.

Of those three, one is a dry drunk , gulps NA beer constantly, really, really, really wants to drink - and needs a meeting (or 100) bad .

Myself and our lead singer average 5-6 drinks a week and bike together 4 times a week.

The last two guys in the band (yup - big group) are functional alcoholics.

So - a mixed bag are we ! :lol::lol::lol:

tubegeek and soulgeezer like this.
  19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My concern would be being the enabler if/when they fall of the wagon. I understand & agree with you abstaining in their presence. If it's about the music, going dry isn't a factor.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Jeez guys. There is no band. No commitments. Just talking about random friends I occasionally pick with. And I’m no drunk. I run and lift. I’m in better shape than any of my jam buddies. This wasn’t a call to alcoholic arms. Just a joke based on an observation. Wrong crowd apparently. I’ll see myself out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.