Last nights Cubs/Pirates game at Little League's MLB field in Williamsport, PA--charming!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Aug 19, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

https://www.mlb.com/tv/g566238/v05d...me=566238,tfs=20190818_231000,game_state=live

If you've got MLB.com, this is a great one to watch. ("Full game" archive link is in MLB.com's "wrap" of the game.)

Tidy little park with a huge, black hitter's-eye backdrop and, beyond that, mostly night sky and above neighborhood houses, so a great backdrop. Tiny ballpark with a roof over the homeplate stands. Full of Little League teams and their coaches, so it's charming to see the fidgety, garishly-clad kidz fueling up on junk food and dreams of glory/player habits they'll imitate. Not a great game as games go, though good to see Cubs' pitching and hitting dial it in at the same time. The MLB players seem to have loved it too, with lots of the little boy still in them coming out. The way MLB.com mic'd it, the crack of the bat sounds like an M1 biting 6x12 planks, and you can hear the pitchers' "HrugGH's" as they let it go. Great stuff!

howardlo and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

The older I get, the more I miss playing youth baseball. I've got myself half convinced that those times were the height of happiness in many ways.

howardlo and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I stumbled into the broadcast last night and at first was mystified as to exactly what was going on. I had the sound off, so that made it even harder to figure out. Then they showed all the kids in the small grandstands and I got it.

The MLB players nicknames on their jersies were hilarious. It looked like everyone was having a good time, as sports should be. Showing the little league pics of the grownup players as they came to bat was also a nice touch.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Nice YouTube summary/highlights here:

howardlo likes this.
  5. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I went to the Little League WS when I was 8 years old. Not as a player. Williamsport was not very far away, so the manager of my Little League took some of us for the day to watch. It was cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.