Last Build For A While—Esquire

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Got my neck today. Looks great and feels great. A nice one piece quartersawn maple, Warmoth’s “Fatback” profile with 6105 nickel silver fretwire. Nice tight fit to the body too. Unique grain features all over on this combination. And between the beefy neck profile and ultralight body blank, feels like it should balance nicely after the hardware is all installed. I’ll pack it up tomorrow and send it along to get finished. Well on the way!
upload_2020-6-9_19-14-24.jpeg

upload_2020-6-9_19-14-38.jpeg

upload_2020-6-9_19-14-50.jpeg

upload_2020-6-9_19-15-4.jpeg

baiff

Tele-Holic
Looks good! I know you ordered a Lollar but I would like to suggest a Dawgtown Lap Steel pickup. I have one in my Broadcaster and it is amazing.

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Looks good! I know you ordered a Lollar but I would like to suggest a Dawgtown Lap Steel pickup. I have one in my Broadcaster and it is amazing.
Interesting, I haven’t heard of it. I have a Lollar Tele Special and a Fralin Blues Special. I will check out your suggestion too. What do you like about it in particular and why did you pick it for your Broadcaster?

baiff

Tele-Holic
I talked to John @ Dawgtown when I was looking for pickups on the Broadcaster. He suggested two sets one of which being his standard Broadcaster set and the other being the lap steel and a matched A3 neck pickup. He said the lap steel was a bit more aggressive and was lightly potted so it is slightly microphonic (in a good way). It has a very biting tone with great note separation. It is A3 at around 8.6K which sounds high to some but it is much more articulate then the presumed "hot" output.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 32

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
I talked to John @ Dawgtown when I was looking for pickups on the Broadcaster. He suggested two sets one of which being his standard Broadcaster set and the other being the lap steel and a matched A3 neck pickup. He said the lap steel was a bit more aggressive and was lightly potted so it is slightly microphonic (in a good way). It has a very biting tone with great note separation. It is A3 at around 8.6K which sounds high to some but it is much more articulate then the presumed "hot" output.

I’m also building a really nasty Esquire type guitar with an Arcane pickup in the bridge that runs 10.5k. I think that will be my high output Esquire.

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Final finish decisions have been made with MJT and everything is on deck to start this week or next. Just like the inspiration photo in the first post, nothing too horribly distressed. I asked for more wear on the back of the neck to be focused in the cowboy chord area rather than the entire middle of the neck, same with fretboard wear. But that said, there will be wear to some degree on most of the neck and fretboard. Checking and medium level of wear on the headstock. I also sent them my bridge, pickups (still haven’t decided which so I sent both the Fralin and the Lollar) and pickguard to them for aging. Medium level of wear on the body...I’d suspect mostly on the back and edges. I’d hope the pickguard gets some good wear too.

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
Last build for a while, I promise!! I ordered a one-piece ultralight swamp ash body from Guitar Mill. Planning an Esquire build. Butterscotch blonde, blackguard. Ordered a Lollar Special T for the pickup. I’m guessing MJT will do the finish work. I’ll probably order the neck from Warmoth...a quartersawn Fatback I suppose. I have to be done for a while...running out of room!! Inspiration piece attached.
Strum is right here in my town. Michael who owns it is a great guy and a hell of a guitarist.

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Can I ask where you get your headstock decals from? Im looking for a good, high quality 50s one for my project.

Is that one of those topics I’m not supposed to discuss here? Hairy one for sure! I honestly haven’t sourced a decal that’s up to my standards yet. I’ve ordered a couple that looked good online but when they showed up they were garbage. The quality of the Rothko stuff is really nice but not historically accurate of course.

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
Is that one of those topics I’m not supposed to discuss here? Hairy one for sure! I honestly haven’t sourced a decal that’s up to my standards yet. I’ve ordered a couple that looked good online but when they showed up they were garbage. The quality of the Rothko stuff is really nice but not historically accurate of course.
Whoops! I didn't know it was a taboo subject): I bought some fantastic decals for my Strat a couple years ago but forgot who I got them from.

capt pearl

Tele-Meister
Got my neck today. Looks great and feels great. A nice one piece quartersawn maple, Warmoth’s “Fatback” profile with 6105 nickel silver fretwire. Nice tight fit to the body too. Unique grain features all over on this combination. And between the beefy neck profile and ultralight body blank, feels like it should balance nicely after the hardware is all installed. I’ll pack it up tomorrow and send it along to get finished. Well on the way!
View attachment 729767
View attachment 729768
View attachment 729769
View attachment 729770
Daaang! Looking good!

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Wendy sent me some updated body photos today. They added more wear as I requested and will be working on the checking next. I’ll just post a couple of the new pics as it’s really hard to discern the added wear...ha

upload_2020-7-16_23-17-24.jpeg

upload_2020-7-16_23-16-58.jpeg

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
Body and neck were delivered today. Hoping to test fit hardware tonight. Very excited for this—more so than my other recent builds for some reason!