Last attempt at finding a decent, user-friendly "rock" drum machine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Aug 14, 2019.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, I've been using an Alesis SR16 for recording for years now. The sounds are great, but the travails in getting it to sound like a rock drummer are many and then many more.

Actually, my entire problem would be largely solved if the buttons on the SR16 were biggish pads instead of teeny little buttons, and they didn't require you hit the exact perfect spot on the tiny little things every time.

So my question is this.

Is there a drum machine out there that:

a) has rock (i.e., realistic drum) sounds on it as opposed to just fake hip hop/pop sounds, and

b) has nice big pads that won't drive me nuts like the SR16 buttons?

Thanks in advance

2. hemingway

Damn, looks like I was right.

Drum machine manufacturers take note - huge gap in the market out there.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe try a Beatbuddy pedal?
    I had one for a while and it sounded decent, was easy to use although I didn't use it much.

I got easydrummer and would use that for recording.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It’s all moved to computers and electronic kits.

bgmacaw likes this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

If the main issue is the pads, have you thought about an external controller? Hook it up via MIDI and trigger the SR16:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plenty out there second-hand.

noah330 and Nubs like this.
  6. hemingway

That's a pretty good idea, thanks

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I would guess drum machines like the SR16 and the Boss DR series are just not a big market for them to devote much effort.
    If you think the drum keys on the SR, check out the Boss line up.
    Additionally I think most folks who buy drum machine like the SR16 don't intend to record their own patterns. They want a "plug and play" device where they can say "Pattern 34A & B is close enough."
    There are probably better products to record individual hits or maybe there is an external set pf midi pads to that could be used.
    I never had any issues with the SR or the Boss devices. But, as another poster stated, people record it directly into their DAW where you can tune the drum, change velocity on the hits, etc.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Our drummer uses midi based iPad apps for his external drums pads. I think standalone drum machines are either dying out or just reissues of old ones.

Pads will add usability to yours though and could be used with other stuff in the future.

If you have the space and ability, the cheapest Roland V drums kit will likely plug and play via midi to your drum machine too.

If you have an IPad there are amazing drum apps from free to $20-30 all with loads of samples of all types/genres. Just add external pads.

9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I found one of these in a charity shop (quite a few years ago). Cheesy built in patterns (and speakers !) but it has MIDI.
    [​IMG]

10. hemingway

There are some interesting suggestions here, but MIDI is something I have never used, so it's a whole new world for me. Going to take some thinking about.

11. hemingway

That's interesting. I have never used one of the pre-recorded patterns. I construct entire songs using my own patterns. It takes several hours per song (partly because of those damn buttons), but I eventually get close to what I want.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

For me EZDrummer was a game changer. I feel like I wasted a portion of my life with drum machines. EZD2 is where you will end up. Using a MIDI keyboard will be an easy transition from the SR16.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Look into the Boss DR3.

[​IMG]

I’ve had SR-16’s. The Alesis beat boxes were amazing when they came out in 1990 but they’re basically beat boxes.

The Boss DR3 is a slightly better beat box (I think). You get hundreds of drum sets and you can tweak the tone and effects on each set. If you need a quick drum track you can choose a preset beat and there are three variations of each beat. You can change the beat variation in real time (while recording the drums) to create the illusion of a real drummer hanging on loosely to a theme. Doing this gets you out of the beat box zone.

The Boss unit has bigger rubber-pads.

If you watch Reverb.com or eBay you can find DR3’s for $85. The SR16’s are worth about $49. Neither unit will break the bank.

14. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

The “Drummer” in Logic can do some pretty nice stuff and you can really easily customize the sounds and rhythms.

fnkmstr likes this.
  15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The closest thing you will get to a real acoustic kit is using mesh heads via midi on software like abbey rd drums superior drums etc even then you get the dreaded cross talk meaning for example you hit a tom and a crash or hi-hat will ping in the back ground easy to edit out but not if you are playing live
    if you are recording using software like cubase or other recording software there are thousands of of real acoustic drum loops you can buy on discs each with different time scales
    very easy to copy paste and build a track with genuine sounding drums

16. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Roland TR 505 I used to get lots of milage out of one. I use more sample loops now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 11:46 AM
    noah330 likes this.
  17. hemingway

thanks, I'm reading up on it now

18. hemingway

I'm recording onto a Zoom R16, so I'm not sure how compatible that approach would be.

19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

If you were on a mac of any sort you'd have Garageband, which has all kinds of drums .

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're putting that much time into your drum tracks, maybe it's worth just hiring a real drummer?

Feel free to laugh at me now...

jimash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.