LaSalle University

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Oct 18, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Anyone have an informed opinion about the school? I see that it's in north Philly. Is that area safe etc? What about the school itself?

I have a niece who may have a chance to go there.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For the school, check out the popular rankings and consider her own ranking in tests and interests. For safety consider where she lives on campus and to know how and when to travel on campus. If you dig in you'll see campus safety issues can pop up all over the place. Places big and small.

On where you live, we just made my wife and daughter happier with her signing a lease at a more modern type student apartment where there are locked doors, and where she will not travel the more dangerous areas I did at same campus long ago.

Where you go to school both really can and cannot make a difference. Somehow dummy my did get into and out of with a diploma one of the nations better public universities aka "public ivey" by some. A few times that made all the difference on a resume but it did not launch a career or get me in a special grad school I never attended.

The opposite of me, some I know do have their careers because of the school they chose. Science and engineering degrees from top universities were the ticket but it's a seriously steep road.

You also want to make sure you're not setting up a kid for possible failure. Wow did I learn that having started in a plenty fine smaller state school and then finish in the top school. The serious classes and things social were and are a whole other league at the top school. You don't want the child in a place too easy but don't want them set up for possible failure.

You also need to look at finances and debt. My child in college right now had great choices where two top public universities meant a much lower overall cost. I know several kids and families who have a debt burden they could have avoided with other choices.

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i know temple university is in a not so good section...temple has its own police force...i guess its fairly safe...la salle may not be as extreme as temple...but no matter what...anything can happen safe or not safe...but la salle is at the most northern part of north philly which is less threatening id say

dont know if this will help

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/la-salle-university/student-life/crime/

Nubs likes this.
  4. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Just from watching the Philly area news, and a few visits to Temple University Hospital's burn unit when my wife burnt herself a number of years ago, I would never let my child go to Temple, no matter how good the education is.
    No way, no how. As we used to say beck in the day, "It's Beirut over there!".
    Just driving up Broad Street from The Ben Franklin bridge made this country boy very nervous and uncomfortable. The hospital had a secure high-rise parking garage, which made it a little better, but still, No.

LaSalle my be a completely different story, but if it's anything like Temple, no ****** way.

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You need to keep in mind how risk is everywhere and that being in a car going shopping often exceeds the risks many fear. Looking at the site posted and other info I see a student is at risk of another student doing something bad all over.

This morning's news is gunshots where my daughter goes to school and one considered safe. For her freshman year she chose a dorm close to campus and where any foot travel will always be well lit and populated. For sophomore independent from dorm living she chose a building with security and also where any common travel will be away from bars and places where more trouble can occur. Then we have other common sense matters. I suggested she take classes earlier than a lot of college kids would like to consider to know times she has to be out will cut risk. This has really helped her not be fearful in a bad way and to feel independent.

To not be helicopter parent I see goes on when kids are 18 and older, she switched her iPhone "Find My" to a circle of her on campus friends, room mates and if she wishes she can still share where she is with a parent but mostly we push the independence and "you decide" we've tried to have from the beginning.

Do we still worry as parents? Sure, but I think of how independent her own parents were, and how so far promoting independence has really helped our kids. My siblings and many I know kept on running their kids' lives way too much and too long. It drives me crazy when I see adults with good intentions messing up on the independence and paranoia topics.

stevemc likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A college student's behavior has a massively bigger impact on safety than the neighborhood.

No parents around, license to party, police/administration often looking the other way when alcohol and substances are abused, etc..

We went to my wife's homecoming at her alma mater a couple weeks ago. We somehow end up talking the the nurse who runs the on campus health clinic and she was ranting hilariously about sky high STD/STI infection rates on campus. "Monagamous relationship means not having sex with more than 1 person in 24 hours for students." For some reason AIDS stopped being scary.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

With that first sentence I thought Chet was college bound. My mind went here:

dented likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just for clarity, I believe any school with its own dedicated campus has its own police force. They may as well, as they are in many ways basically their own small towns.

dented and cnlbb like this.
  9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yeah they have security/police...but temple is at another level...lasalle in its location might be like that too...when i worked at villanova in high school in 79 and 80 they had a few guards on campus...im sure they have more presence there now in the times we live in

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I live about 4-5 miles north of LaSalle. Some family friends have gone there recently, and completely without incident. The thing with Philly is you need to know your area as things can change block-to-block. The school itself is a good school with a good reputation in particular for business.

If your niece has some common sense and stays with campus housing initially everything should be fine. You learn where to go and not to go.
    Overall, Philly has really gotten to be a terrific city to live in over the years. Sports, arts, music, dining are all pretty great. Easy train access to NYC and DC for a weekend trip, short trip to NJ shore for some beach time. Farm country around the city in most directions if you want some open space. Great cycling and running cultures as well.

Also, I see some Temple U concerns in this thread - sent a daughter there, 4 years no issues. The students know to stay east of 18th and west of 11th. Security is everywhere. I suspect LaSalle is similar

Anyway, If she has a chance to come see it she should visit.

cnlbb likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What other Unis is your niece considering?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no idea what your frame of reference on “safe” is coming from Iowa… I can’t even imagine...

13. BigDaddyLH

I'd be more worried about finding good dim sum.

boris bubbanov and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I lived back east for 22 years. I know all about the general issues in Philly. I used to party there almost every weekend. Just asking for any specifics about LaSalle U.

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I went to BB games at Temple, Penn and Drexel so I know where they are. I believe she and her mother visited the campus already. I'll ask the mother more about it tonight if I see her. I think the school offered her a volleyball scholarship. From what the mother told me that's the only solid offer she's got so far. The season is coming to a close now and she may get more attention in the playoffs.

ale.istotle likes this.
  16. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I went to college in the '90s.

17. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I went to Temple in the mid 90s..it was a very dangerous area at the time. I had friends that were mugged on campus. I went back there about 5 years ago. It seems like they stepped up the security. They also put in a lot of bright light posts. I'm pretty sure that LaSalle is the the same.

18. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's

I haven't lived in Phila for 20 yrs now, but LaSalle U always had a good academic reputation. I know a few people that have degrees from there. If I recall, the area the school is located in is called Olney. Not the best, not the worst. If she is commuting there she can live in a better area.

19. BigDaddyLH

I've always heard Penn > Temple, La Salle.

True?

20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

My wife went to a school in MA very briefly. When a student got maimed for life because he wandered off campus and the locals didn't like that, she came back home and went somewhere else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.