Larkin Poe Live

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
After a two year ‘rona induced wait last night we finally saw Larkin Poe at Shepherds Bush Empire in London. The ladies were on fabulous form, we had a guest appearance from Keith Urban, it was just an all round fantastic gig.

What was most remarkable for me though was the sound. They had pretty much the best live sound I can ever remember hearing. Too often I find that the bass and drums at live gigs are overbearing and overpower everything else. Last night Larkin Poe had everything crystal clear and well balanced - bass and drums sat nicely in the mix so you could clearly hear the vocal harmonies. All added up to one of the most enjoyable live experiences I’ve ever had. Well worth the long wait…

xland

Tele-Holic
I'm glad you enjoyed the show, it sounds like it was a great time. They are incredibly talented.

My wife and I saw them at an outdoor blues festival in 2019 and they were fantastic. They are on our short list of bands we would like to see again when they come to town.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I'd love to see them live! Their version of "John The Revelator" is one of my favorites.
Also Megan Lovell kind of tricked me into trying out a Lap Steel. I do some slide in open tunings here and there, but she actually got me interested in Lap Steel and Dobro tuning.
They play a couple of dates in Germany at the end of May, but the only gig in a reasonable distance collides with a gig of my own, bummer!

scottser

Friend of Leo's
me and the missis travelled over to glasgow to see them before the great unpleasantness - great gig, great night, in a great town.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
After a two year ‘rona induced wait last night we finally saw Larkin Poe at Shepherds Bush Empire in London. The ladies were on fabulous form, we had a guest appearance from Keith Urban, it was just an all round fantastic gig.

What was most remarkable for me though was the sound. They had pretty much the best live sound I can ever remember hearing. Too often I find that the bass and drums at live gigs are overbearing and overpower everything else. Last night Larkin Poe had everything crystal clear and well balanced - bass and drums sat nicely in the mix so you could clearly hear the vocal harmonies. All added up to one of the most enjoyable live experiences I’ve ever had. Well worth the long wait…
VERY talented (and lovely) young ladies.....and I'm happy to hear your comments on their live sound "mix". I can't stand the bass-heavy mixes of so many performers today. This is the main reason I dislike bands in small/medium venues miking drums and even bass.....it's just not necessary, IMHO. :)

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Glad you got to see them. Talented musicians and performers with wonderful taste in material. They've got that special gift of honoring the old with their own fresh approach. And man can they rock!

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm not sold on their songwriting yet, but I LOVE them as players and performers and with their great taste in covers, I'd go see them anytime I could. Hell, George Thorougood never wrote songs because "Chuck Berry already wrote 'em all", so it's not a pre-requisite. But Larkin Poe should be a much bigger deal (commercially) than they seem to bed, and good originals could put 'em over the top...

-Ray

knavel

Tele-Holic
I'm not sold on their songwriting yet, but I LOVE them as players and performers and with their great taste in covers.

-Ray
This.
I was very impressed as are many here with the covers, but I then turned to their original material and was actually surprised at how detached it came across from their cover material.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Saw them supporting Elvis Costello a few years ago and they were like breath if fresh air, U am pleased they have got touring again and hope to see them again sometime