Large V

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Oct 19, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Looking at the Wildwood 10 custom shop. It has a Large V neck .970 -.990. Anyone familiar with this neck profile? This be a prominent (hardV?) or would it be soft? I personally prefer the U but as long as the V is not to noticeable I could get by.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...-shop-wildwood-10-1952-telecaster/?cat_id=342

Just for comparison the V on the Martin HD-28V took me a while and some hand discomfort to get used to but eventually I grew to love the neck.
    Wonder what I could expect from the pickups?

2 Lollar Single-Coils, Tele Special Bridge , Bridge = 8.97, Neck = 6.34

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Just call Wildwood. They should be able to give you an in-hand description of the neck profile.

I'd say U vs. V may be more important than the way you describe it. A lot of it depends on your style and hand position. If you like a U, there's a reason. Maybe you like a deep neck, but play with your thumb aligned with the neck. That's harder to do with a V, as you do feel the centerline of the neck as a ridge if you play that way, even with a soft V.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have an Allparts TRO-V neck that comes in at .90 first fret and 1.00 12th fret. I'm not sure I would call it a "hard V", but it is V shaped and very comfortable.

I also have a Fender 50's Baja soft V neck. The Baja is more of a handful at the headstock end than the Allparts.

Plus, I'm not really seeing much of a pronounced V with the Baja. It's definitely "soft".

Measurements and actual profile may be misleading until you get it in your hands. The .970/.990 to the Allparts .90/1.00 might not be a big deal. The profile might.

I like the 10' radius. The tall narrow frets might take some getting used to if you "clamp down" on the fretboard. If you have a lighter touch you'll be fine.

Wildwood has a return policy. It requires you pay shipping, both ways.

As Archetype points out, a call to Wildwood might help you decide. Or even the Fender Custom shop, they built it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

To me, The OP describes a neck that has little taper from the nut to the 12 fret. IMO, whether it's a "U or V" shape does not matter as much as whether a "lack of significant taper"" is desired.
    If it were me, and I could not play the guitar before shipping, I would prefer a V shape; especially if their is minimal taper.
    Overall those measurements, while not the very thickest, make for a fair amont of wood in the players hand, especially if you prefer a thinner, tapered neck.
    The hard versus soft V is a challenge to address without playing the guitar. Wild wood sales staff usually provide reliable information about playing guitars before you buy them. But in the end , only the buyer/ player can decide what works...and what does not.

Good luck,
    Buck

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't really like Vs too much. On the Allparts Tele neck I have it's a little on the hard side, and it doesn't matter if it's close an inch thick, it just feels kinda thin. The V is consistent all the way through the taper. But it's comfy, I suppose. The hardish-V on my Gretsch G6120-59VS is just that much worse since it's pretty thin until it hits the neck heel, but what can you do, it's a Gretsch?

Good pics can help with sniffing out a neck's profile sometimes. Oblique shots with some shadow, especially the back, neck-to-headstock transition say a lot. Looking WW's picture of the back of the headstock, I'd say that's a little on the "hard" side.

The best "V" neck I owned was a Ed O'Brien Strat neck, and it had the "10/56" V, which was clubby, but not really a V all the way down the neck, since it becomes a fat 1" C by the 12th fret. Too bad it was attached to a Strat, I would of kept it :) As far as relying on photos go, there does seem to be some meat on the shoulders by the 12th fret on that particular Tele. Call WW and ask..

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

For me, I would decide heavily based on these images...

There's always instant bonding with C-shape, D-shape and U shaped necks for me.. while it takes a while for me to get used to ANY V- shape necks.. I had a Baja, and while the Soft-V shape is really nice and comfy, it took me a while to get used to it.. I played it and never changed guitars for the whole 6 months.. ultimately in the end, the U shape is my most preferred neck shape... and I would be thinking twice of buying a V shaped neck, unless its free.

Take note of the Hard and Medium V here.. so I guess a Large V MAY or MAY NOT BE pretty much like Soft-V, but a bit fatter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

theprofessor likes this.
  7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Based on those images its the U for me.

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...tage-thin-skin-1955-telecaster-16/?cat_id=230

Ideally, you could play them first and know if the neck suits you or not. In any case, you should consider the Thin Skin teles from Wildwood/Dave’s. The 55 linked above has a U with a bit more taper. They also recently had a run of TS 52’s (traditional blackguard look) if that’s more your speed. Roasted maple neck and I think they had a U shape also. All the Thin Skins have 9.5” radius and 6105 frets. You’d save a few bucks and the quality is absolutely on par with the Custom Shop.

DanDII likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I did own a 52 thin skin from Wildwood. It was a used one they had there. It had amazing tone and was a great guitar except for one thing. The fretboard edges were so over rolled and the frets so beveled that the 2 E strings wouldn't stay on the fretboard. It was about the worst I'd ever seen. It was a 2017 that was traded in, in 2017 so I figure thats probably why. I liked the guitar so much that I even had someone sand it down and refret with SS frets in order to gain back space on the fretboard. It worked great except for the fact that the neck was then too skinny for me. It went from a fat U to about the slimness of an American Standard neck. I ended up selling it to a young kid that loved the neck profile.

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

@golfnut : I’m almost certain it is the neck profile I’ve got on my custom shop 57 esquire. The floor sheet states a « large V » which I measured myself from .97 to 1 inch at 1st and 12th frets.

I too tend to like U profiles because I like some shoulders on a neck. I hate the kind of flat C you find on many CS 60´s strats for instance.

I absolutely LOVE the neck on my esquire, and I honestly do not feel the V. I would say it’s more like a U but with not too big shoulders. And the edges of the fingerboard are well rounded off too.

From your description of the type of neck you like, I think you should like this profile, provided it’s consistent with mine.

11. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Hmm. That’s frustrating. Sounds like you sure tried to make it work. Glad it found a happy home.

Anybody know if the recent run of Thin Skin 52’s had similarly rolled fretboard edges?

The Wildwood 10’s are awesome and I never miss a Greg Koch demo. But owning a Thin Skin Strat, I would never buy a Custom Shop WW 10. I believe that there is literally zero chance that I could tell the difference between the two. Getting a used one closes the price gap considerably, but I got my Thin Skin used from Dave’s for more than $1000 off the original price ($2399 or $2499 new as I recall). You could almost buy 2 used Thin Skins for the price of a used Custom Shop guitar. Or a guitar + a really nice amp. The math gets much friendlier at that level.

12. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

https://reverb.com/item/29031901-2019-fender-american-vintage-thin-skin-roasted-1952-telecaster

No affiliation at all. This one just posted today.
    • Model: American Vintage "Thin Skin" '52 Telecaster - Roasted Maple Neck
    • Finish Color: Butterscotch Blonde
    • Finish Type: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    • Weight: 6.78 lbs
    • Body Wood: Ash
    • Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
    • Neck Shape: "U" Shape
    • Neck Dimensions: .870 1st - .990 12th
    • Fingerboard: Maple
    • Fingerboard Radius: 9.5"
    • Scale Length: 25.5"
    • Width at Nut: 1.650"
    • Frets: 21 6105 Frets
    • Pickups: 2 Custom Shop "Twisted" Tele
    • Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3-Way Switch
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Bridge: Original Vintage Style Tele Bridge with 3 Brass Saddles
    • Tuners: Single Line "Fender Deluxe" Vintage Style
    • Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
    • Case: Tweed Hardshell Case

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

There’s hope for you. :D The CS has been known to make Tele necks with a 10/56 profile.

14. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

hard V was the most comfotable and unforgetable neck profile for me .
    highly recomended.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.