Laptop Screen

tele-rain

Friend of Leo's
So ummmm, I dropped my laptop. Twice. Annoyed as all hell with myself.

The damage is seen in the pic below. Bottom left corner of the screen blacking out. The white line from top to bottom is just the flash, there's no cracks going on. it was smaller, until I dropped it a 2nd time. One was a few months ago and I was learning to live with it, and JUST a few minutes again, it fell again.

I'm glad it's not affecting anything else other than visuals, and the task bar, but I do want to get it fixed. How much $$ am I looking at here? I want to know what to expect before I bring it into the Geeks or whomever. How much SHOULD I spend to repair it?

Sob.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 84

Cat MacKinnon

Friend of Leo's
hate to tell you this, but replacing a laptop screen almost always costs more than it's worth. it's also a major pain, because those screens are usually not meant to ever come out once they've been assembled. LCD panels are still one of the single most expensive parts of most laptops, and it's not unusual to see the raw panel go for about $200...and that's not including labor.

outside of paying $300-$400 to have it replaced (LCD panels can't be repaired when the liquid crystal itself is damaged), there's the option of replacing it yourself. it would be cheaper, but i wouldn't call it easy. first, you'd have to figure out how to open up the lid of the computer to get access to the panel itself. then you'll have to figure out which model of LCD panel is in your computer (there's usually a sticker on the back of the panel, so at least that part's simple), and then track down a replacement. there are several places online where you can order raw LCD replacement panels.

once you get the replacement, the hardest part is removing the old one from the laptop lid (they're usually stuck on with pretty tough adhesive), and then figure out a way to stick on the new one. the really thin 3M double-sided industrial tape is available. you'll also have to open up the entire computer to get access to where the monitor cable is plugged into the motherboard. in some laptops you can remove a panel above the keyboard to access this part, but not always.

you'd have to find a disassembly/repair manual online, which may or may not be available. i doubt the manufacturer would have it (doesn't hurt to check though), but also check out sites like iFixit.com; they specialize in helping people repair their own tech stuff.

sorry to be such a bummer, but laptop screens are just one of those rare parts that are usually incredibly difficult or expensive to replace, and rarely worth doing. unless you've got something like a really expensive ultrabook or Alienware gaming laptop, the cost just doesn't work out in your favor.

tele-rain

Friend of Leo's
thank you for the info, no worries on being a downer...it's what i was expecting to hear, but hoping not to!

I have a friend who is super techy and she said if I buy the part, she can fix it. But I also dug up my receipt, and I'm still under a year of tech support that I purchased. It was from 9/30/12, as luck would have it. I'm gonna bring it in and see what they say. If they give me some song and dance and it will cost more than $200 bucks, forget it. I'll just live with it and if it keeps getting worse, just get a new one eventually.

Another friend suggested getting a TV/Monitor combo. That's a cool idea, but kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop when you have to connect it to a screen that's not on your lap. For that, I can just connect to my TV via HDMI.

tele-rain

Friend of Leo's

Cat MacKinnon

Friend of Leo's
thank you for the info, no worries on being a downer...it's what i was expecting to hear, but hoping not to!

I have a friend who is super techy and she said if I buy the part, she can fix it. But I also dug up my receipt, and I'm still under a year of tech support that I purchased. It was from 9/30/12, as luck would have it. I'm gonna bring it in and see what they say. If they give me some song and dance and it will cost more than $200 bucks, forget it. I'll just live with it and if it keeps getting worse, just get a new one eventually.

Another friend suggested getting a TV/Monitor combo. That's a cool idea, but kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop when you have to connect it to a screen that's not on your lap. For that, I can just connect to my TV via HDMI.

no problem. yeah, it's unfortunately one of the few parts on a laptop that's not only expensive, but really hard to fix. but if you've got a friend who can do it, then give it a shot! i'd just suggest backing up your hard drive before you let anyone poke around in there, in the unlikely event something goes wrong during the "surgery". alternately, you could just take the hard drive out before she works on it (it should just unscrew with a couple screws and the whole cage it's in should slide right out.)

before you do any of that though, definitely check to see if it's under warranty. since the damage was user error, they might not fix it for free, but it's worth asking about. the most they can say is "no, sorry." they might still have a more affordable repair option though, so it's worth it to call them and see what they'd charge. at least they'd probably have the part on hand or a suitable replacement (although finding the LCD panel isn't all that difficult. it's the installation that's a challenge.)

at least the damage isn't right in the middle of the screen though...that would drive me insane!

still_fiddlin

Friend of Leo's
It's a complicated repair because there's a lot of wiring going through that flexible connection - besides the video signal (multiple wires) you've got a WLAN antenna, possibly Bluetooth antenna, maybe a webcam, microphone, who knows. I've watched techs do this and would always seek out someone that's done it before. And, as mentioned, unless they've got access to a supply of used/dead notebooks to scavenge parts from, the cost of a new panel is usually what makes these fatal. Lucky for you it still works!

I always buy accidental damage insurance on notebooks for the clumsy family members I support.... At almost $70-100/yr for a $1K notebook, it's not cheap, but then I know I'll get my 3 years out of it, before it's "obsolete." (I don't buy it for $300 netbooks/chromebooks or other expendables, of course.)

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I replaced my daughters laptop 17'' screen for $90.00 but that was for the part cost and did it myself . Not as complicated as what you might think , there's a lot informative videos on You Tube for replacing laptop screen

Kitty

Tele-Meister
As a "make do at home in the mean time" solution.. you could always hook it up to a t.v or other monitor until you can get it to the shop.
: D

cobrat

Tele-Holic
Last 2 LCD replacement jobs I did...including parts was around $200 each. Clients were satisfied.

Bill Jones

Tele-Meister
$250 to $300 if you bring in in for repair here in Chicago area.
If you have a few tech skills and a little patience you can replace it yourself for about a $100 bucks for an exact new replacement screen. Bought mine from a joint in Texas. Search online.

You only have to disassemble the surrounding screen frame(bezel) on the
computer and nothing else. All you basically need are some small jewelers type screwdrivers, a little common sense and some chudspagh.

P.S. Look under the small rubber pads on the frame(bezel) surrounding the screen for hidden screws. Pry the frame(bezel) apart with a thin straightblade screwdriver if necessary.

If you're good,it will be good as new when you're done for about a C note.

jtmdes

Tele-Meister
I've done three myself, it really is not difficult at all. You do not have to open anything but the bezel around the screen. The screens I bought were about $70 a piece, total time was about 10 minutes per screen. Definitely search online for instructions on replacing the screen for your laptop, pretty much any laptop has these available.

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've done three myself, it really is not difficult at all. You do not have to open anything but the bezel around the screen. The screens I bought were about $70 a piece, total time was about 10 minutes per screen. Definitely search online for instructions on replacing the screen for your laptop, pretty much any laptop has these available.

Definitely surf the web with your laptop's brand, model number, etc. for a replacement screen. When my little netbook ended up under a spilled cooler, the screen got water inside it. I thought it was a goner, but found a brand new OEM replacement for $40, and approaching the disassembly/assembly slowly and carefully, laying out the parts on a big table in the order they came off, I was able to do it myself, pretty easily, when all was said and done. Your techie friend will probably be able to tackle it, or help you tackle it, surprisingly easily. Mine was a small, relatively simple netbook, but it also has the LAN antennas, camera-in-lid wiring, etc., none of which complicated the job much at all. Look for videos on how-to-do-it, there are many online.

SamClemons

Poster Extraordinaire
I have replaced several laptop screens. 75-100 for the screen is full retail. I thought it was an easy repair. Guess it depends a lot on your tech level. A few screws and connectors, some handling care and your done. Good chance there is a how to video on Youtube for your model or something close to it.

Cat MacKinnon

Friend of Leo's

i guess they vary pretty widely in how complicated they are. for instance, my laptop would have to be almost completely taken apart to replace the screen. the thin cable is in a very inaccessible place and there'd be no other way to do it in my case (plus there are a few antenna cables that run up into the lid too.) on mine, the video cable is hardwired to the LCD panel, so i couldn't just disconnect it there either. i had to take mine apart once when i accidentally spilled Coke on it, and it was a real chore.

i have to admit i was pretty off regarding LCD panel prices though. the last time i looked was a few years ago, and they've definitely gotten cheaper. just for fun i looked some up last night and was surprised at how much less they cost now. i guess the price of the newer LED panels have pushed the price of CCFL-backlit LCD's down. last time i looked into the cost of replacing an LCD for a friend, it was something like $250 for the raw panel.

big-daddy-59

Tele-Holic
I replaced my daughters laptop 17'' screen for $90.00 but that was for the part cost and did it myself . Not as complicated as what you might think , there's a lot informative videos on You Tube for replacing laptop screen

Ditto- the screen for my daughters laptop was about $60 from amazon, and there was a tutorial on youtube that walked you through it step by step. Easier than replacing the screen in my son's girlfriends Iphone 4.