1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Laptop dead. Any advice...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FMA, Oct 8, 2009.

1. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Other than taking down to the river and giving it a Viking funeral.

It's an Acer -- I know, I bought it because it was cheap -- and yesterday, I think it picked up a virus and killed it. At first, I'd get just text messages on the screen about various malfunctions. And then it said something about boot being corrupted and now, it doesn't do anything.

Well, it does do something. When I push the power button, it lights up and the computer makes some whirring sounds and that's it, a blank screen.

I can't get into set-up by pushing F2. Didn't work. Blank screen. I tried starting it up with the recovery disk in the drive. Nothing.

So is it dead or is there something I can try to revive this thing?

2. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

remove the hard drive...you should be able to get into setup then. After you're in setup, set the primary boot device to be the CD or floppy drive. Put the hard drive back in. It should then be able to boot from the recovery disk.

3. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

What about pressing f8 to get to the boot menu?

4. -Vampyre-

-Vampyre- Tele-Meister

May not be a virus. May be a malfunctioning motherboard. Even with a bad hard drive if should get to the bios screen. If you memory chips have creeped loose that could cause it not to make it to bios. I would check to make sure the memory is in tight. Laptop memory is usually locked in pretty tight. If that doesn't get it to the bios screen, then most likely it is something bad on the motherboard. Be it a chip or fan or any of the components on it. Replacements parts can be found but changing it in a cheap laptop may not be worth it with laptop prices falling like they are.

5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, sounds like a loose or defective memory chip, or defective motherboeard to me as well. If you can't get into BIOS setup the main culprits are motherboard and memory.

I have once encountered an faulty CD-rom drive that gave the same symptoms, so disk drives are not completely out of the question though.

6. FMA

Vampyre,
    Before it died, the computer displayed some kind of message about BIOS being corrupted or something like that. (Sorry, my computer literacy is on a fourth-grade level.)
    I wasn't sure what that meant. My laptop had been nowhere near Roman Polanski. (Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Tele-Afflicted

Not trying to be the typical snarky over-opinionated internet MAC-geek.....but:

What a great opportunity to get a MAC.

I switched 3 months ago. The death of my old Dell might be the best thing that ever happened to my computing! Everything now is just so much more….”civilized”. I don’t wrestle with drivers or settings; everything just simply “works”.

8. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

...And there you have it.

9. FMA

Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to get a new laptop and I am leaning toward going Mac.
    Alas, right now, money is an issue...

10. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

My laptop gets used the way a contractor uses a cordless drill, and my life has been much happier since I bought a Mac after my hard drive got overwritten by a PC virus.

Good luck getting your computer working or at least recovering the data you need.
    You were backing up, right?

11. FMA

Yep. Everything of consequence -- manuscripts, articles, letters -- is backed up on flash drives.

12. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

13. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I would just take it to a local repair store you trust, if you don't know one get one recommended. While you are there get some upgrades and make sure they install a proper anti-virus. I had a similar problem with my desktop, and I spent hours trying to narrow down the problem, taking the pc apart checking each component and in the end I had to admit defeat. After a few hours in the repair store it was as good as new, better I had them double the RAM while they were at work fixing my motherboard and HD.

The MAC issue is an interesting one, I have always used PCs and never had them do anything that I wasn't to blame for so I have no quarms about reliability. So I hadn't even thought about buying a MAC until my girlfriend was given one as a christmas present. It was so shiney and quiet I thought it was totally badass. Then my mother got one for when she went travelling and it was even shiner, quieter and slimer.

The only beef I have with them is that Apple's marketing campaigns actively annoy me. I don't think I'll ever be able to own one until they stop being such smug fashion accessories. I have been brainwashed into feeling automatic rage whenever I see some smug **** chuckling away while facebooking their scene buddies while they flickback their afghan scarf (or equally out of context ethnic regalia, poncho, beret, flat cap, etc) in a park while drinking choca-moca-lattes and leeching bandwidth from nearby Airport terminal.

I know they are just people, but the automatic inclusion of an Apple of any kind, iPod, iPhone, Mac Book etc will multiply any inherent twatishnes of their appearence ten fold. I just don't want someone to see me an think that, I look twattish enough as it is. I don't want to defend myself by saying, "but it doesn't get infected by viruses and handles editing software for films and music so much better then a PC", when all people can hear is, "I don't care if it costs twice as much as an equivalent PC, it's cool and shiney and means I can use a computer without girls thinking I'm a geek!" which are the real reasons why I know I'd get one!

14. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

...and only truck driving rednecks play Telecaster, right?

These things are all tools, and tools don't care about marketing campaigns, or whether or not they're "cool" or "trendy".

I'm perfectly happy with both my PC-based computers AND my Apple iPhone...

Tim

15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

I recommend cremation as opposed to burial.

16. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

As mentioned somewhere above- get at Mac. You'll never go back to a PC again as long as you live.

17. -Vampyre-

-Vampyre- Tele-Meister

From the error he stated, it sounds like the bios is corrupt. If the battery had died it would still post, just not have the correct time. We have a lot of machines with dead cmos batteries. Sounds to me like the actual chip that holds the bios info had become defective.

18. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

I find that whenever mine stops working that if I turn it over and shake it really hard the screen clears and it starts working again!

19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

All seems to point to CMOS battery and BIOS. since you're not a computer geek, take it to a repair shop and point that out to them.
    should be an easy repair.

It makes me wonder what the Mac guys will recommend when the CMOS battery of an I-Book dies - get a Mac?

20. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

All the Macs in my house boot up and work even the Mac Plus... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.