Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Erebus, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

Hi all... I’m a complete beginner when it comes to home recording. I use a Yamaha THX 10C into a USB port on my 10 year old laptop when I’m just messing around, but completely unhappy with the sound. I want to get a mic and record my tube amps.

My laptop just died and needs to be replaced for the work I do... basically just word processing. But I would love to have the capability to run decent software for recording. What specs should I look for?

Thank you!

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

IMO fastest drive speed is important @ approx 7,200 RPM if that's possible on a laptop or maybe get one with an SSD plus you will need an interface for the mike. Probably any decent laptop out there these days will get the job done for you just recording a couple of guitars so maybe ignore what I just said.

I'm recording direct with a Roland Cube 60 COSM clean on one side of a stereo setup, mike a tube amp for the main sound other side and it makes a huge difference.

Am going through a Focusrite 2i4 interface - LHS, RHS then mix the two sounds. I'm using an old Compaq with Vista that is configured not to update and is not connected to the internet so Microsoft can't pollute my clean recording system with updates. Stopping updates was a huge problem solved but you probably can't do that with more modern systems.

Have to say that configuring the PC properly for Mixcraft and Focusrite was pretty technical and it then took me a lot of time to get the sound right. Didn't really happen until I split through a Boss Chorus pedal to feed into each amp stereo.

3. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

make sure it has a decent amount of ram. 16 or better

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Actually, you don't need much nowadays to record. Most off the shelf windows laptops over, say, $500-600 are fine. In particular, if you are new to recording, you will likely only record one or two tracks at a time, and your use of plug-ins and/or MIDI will be limited. Unless you're also planning on doing some heavy duty video editing and rendering, you just won't need too much.

I do almost all my work on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop, with an I5 chip and stock integrated video, budget USB interface, and Reaper. I added some RAM at some point, but that's all. It's a slow laptop. But it rarely hiccups (when properly updated, that is).

I do all recording and producing for myself and band, as well as for a podcast for a professional association. Granted, these are very small and low budget productions. But I use plenty of EQ, compression, and reverb plug-ins when editing and rendering, and never had an issue.

My kiddos have a newer budget gaming level laptop, seperate video card, SSD, etc..., which is of course light years faster. Paid about ~$1100 on sale. But I haven't had to use it, as the old Dell is adequate.

Just make sure your laptop is fully updated anytime you decide to do any recording or editing. Windows 10 just plains sucks, and will slow down and compromise any computer when an update is due. It's just what it does. But that's another issue.

5. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

look into a 2012 or newer macbook pro

SacDAve likes this.
  6. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the input... did a bunch of research and scored a nice cyber monday deal on a ThinkPad X1 Gen 7. The features and size are perfect for my needs, hopefully it will be adequate for basic home recording as well. More questions to come, like what DAW and audio interface to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.