Lap steel

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ash Telecaster, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

$200 plus nominal shipping

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Cool.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a ‘47 Gibson BR9. Yes, a mahogany plank with a pickup. look around and I’d bet you can get a decent axe for not much money.
    I wouldn’t go nuts price wise until you know it’ll be, at least, a little more than a passing fancy

4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Buy vintage and buy once. I went the cheap route first, and after upgrades, I had about the same in it as my 55 National. ($250.00)
    Laps sit on reverb and at GC forever. Make an offer and it will most likely go.in your favor.

5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

What kind of music do you want to play? For blues or rock you already have some great suggestions, but if you want to learn to play Western Swing or classic 40s/50s honkytonk country, you should start with an 8-string right away. Those are slightly harder to find, and slightly more money (but not a lot), and so much more useful when you want to start with a 6th tuning rather than a straight open tuning...

String Tree, hotraman, Dan R and 3 others like this.
  6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would mostly use it for blues, rock, country, folk, etc. Western Swing is super cool but I haven't ventured far into that space as of yet.

Thanks!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I have three... A Peavey Powerslide that I bought for cheap, used but new, with the plastic still on the pickup. That was my entrée into laps. The Peaveys look ridiculous, but are actually pretty nice instruments. They have a humbucker that blends to single coil with a knob.

The thing with lap steel is, different tunings have different musical applications, so if you get serious at all you'll end up with more than one.

Besides the Powerslide (which I keep in Open E), I ended up with an Eastwood Airline which I keep in C6 and a Gretsch G-5700 which I keep in Open G.

I would have loved to buy vintage, but around here vintage steel prices are higher than new lap steels, and the ones that were more affordable required more work than I'm capable of putting into them.

Lap steel is an amazing journey for sure! Good luck!

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

For blues and rock Open E is a very good place to start. If you have any experience at standard guitar you'll be able to play blues licks in no time. Like-- literally no time! You'll likely start to get the hang of it in minutes...*

For country there are a lot of various tunings, but C6 is the one that there's the most instructional material out there for. As soon as you sit down with a C6 steel you'll begin hearing those familiar country western sounds.

---

*That said, lap steel is a whole world unto itself and the technique required to play really well can take years to develop -- but for rocking along with a common blues progression Open E will get you going right away!

EDITED TO ADD: Check out the Steel Guitar Forum online for lots of friendly, supportive advice from long time players.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  9. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Here's a pair of Nationals that I had..Really sweet sounding laps..
    You should be able to find one for $500 or less..
    I paid $15 for the Chicagoan at an auction..And the Rocket 110 was payment for about an hour of repair work.. National Lap Steels.jpg

12. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Interesting! I've used open E on guitar playing Alman Brothers songs. I was totally unaware of this tuning.

13. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I just got a new Gretsch Electromatic. Sounds good. Everything works. I see them for about $200-250 on Craigslist. Bought mine new after buying two “vintage” lap steels that both had major tuning problems. Thought I would start with an instrument that I don’t need to fix before I can start learning to play. It is a lot of fun.

Ash Telecaster and Telecaster88 like this.
  14. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

Wait----What? They will build a left handed model at no additional cost. Oh my, where is my credit card. Crap, the wife has all the cards.

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I play lap steel,.. have 4 a decade
    my opinion you can take a two by four secure two pieces of any thing. With all due respect you are looking for a beginners model, should you lose interest, you won't lose your shirt. anything that raises the strings off the neck , a means of tuning and a pickup, output jack and you are ready to roll. advice: buy a cheap one,, with a no questions asked policy if you don't like it send it back
    If I were to by another to add to my 2 Chandler Lap steel guitars I would by the Peavey, you could buy an Asher that are played by Cindy Cashdollar and Ben Harper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KE2D84/?tag=tdpri-20

https://asher-guitars-lap-steels-st...-harper-lap-steel?_pos=1&_sid=0c06b8060&_ss=r
    https://asher-guitars-lap-steels-store.myshopify.com/search?q=lap+steel+

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Here's something I put together a long time ago when I was learning Lap Steel.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/homemade-lap-steel.657810/#post-7118683

Its a PDF guide for C6 and open D. I thought I'd love open tunings, but they are tough to play minor chords on. The 6th tunings seem to give the best options for accompanying pop and country stuff. The crappy thing about tunings is that a new tuning requires new strings, because of the gauge needed. So settle on a tuning and stick with it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    String Tree and Ash Telecaster like this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Get (rent or borrow) a cheap one and decide. They aren't for everyone. After 10 years, I still have difficulty adjusting my thinking to them.

18. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

I found this one for $300 on GC's used listings. Its a Supro I think from the early 60s. Came with the original cheap case and warranty card, which is cool. It also has the pickup where the strings pass through it. Sounds great and just needed new strings. The older ones can be found cheaper and are worth looking into.
    20170326_171407.jpg

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMG_20140129_080530_000.jpg

I built one out of Slotted Steel Channel because I didn't have any 2 x 4's.
    These are very easy to build.

20. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.